Club 414

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by jakejb79, Sep 26, 2009.

1. jakejb79

jakejb79 Laughing Cow

Is it any good, my friends thinking of going for his birthday and i was just wondering what its like.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you like hard house and techno, and want it to go on and on and on, then it's ideal.

3. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

i spent about 3 nights a week there, for about 2 years. Virtually lived in the place.

Nowadays the thought of going in there fills me horror

<London acid techno - shudder>

It was in the Face once as the hardest club in Britain :D - for a night called Rampant, which was ace..

4. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

hehe - i knew nick who ran that - he was livid about the star running an article about it being a gabber club and it being a racist music. the reporter went along to one night and didn't seem to notice that the owner and most of the staff were black and loftgroover, who was djing, too.
    nick now runs mellow funky house bar type events in west london.:D

5. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

It ruined clubbing for me. Everywhere else always seemed a bit tame after the 414.

6. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

It was fucking great! I fell down the spiral staircase once! hard and fast and mental - I feel knackered just thinking about it.

7. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

It's definitely unique :D

I've never been to a place like it, anywhere. Maybe start your evening somewhere a little more chilled before hitting 414 though.

8. El Jefe

i got there so early for one Rampant that the video screen was down and the staff were watching the news.

9. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

Used to absolutely adore the place, especially the Nuclear Free Zone nights way back in about '95.

Haven't been there in about 11 years, but I imagine it hasn't changed too much. :D

10. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I threw up down the middle of the spiral staircase once.

11. El Jefe

i used to go so often, I ended up getting roped in to do the door a couple of times when someone didn't show up.

Trying to sort out change when rushing your tits off is... challenging :D

12. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

I can remember back in the day when they used to sell sunglasses at the bar downstairs. Class.

13. El Jefe

the worst bit was when you couldn't avoid ending up in the Fridge Bar afterwards, twitching along to shit trance surrounded by facepainted muppets

14. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

share the love.

15. El Jefe

well, i tried but I was always a bit sweaty and confused so i didn't get many offers :(

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Happy to report that it's much the same.

:D

17. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Brandon Block is DJing there soon, according to a poster on the bridge. Weird.

18. christonabike

christonabike Elm Park Bencher

We always try an include it in our four club challenge night, at the end usually

:)

19. jakejb79

jakejb79 Laughing Cow

Thanks for the recommendations, hopefully it'll be a good night.

20. dtb

dtb > On A Trip Jam

probably the worst club i've been to in london, sound system is diabolical.

21. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

The music's usually fucking awful too, but that's missing the point of the place.

22. Ms Ordinary

Ms Ordinary randompointlesschemistry

The 414 was the very first thing I ever came south of the river for :) :) :)

And I've been here 14 years now :D

I've not been in for years, but it's comforting to walk past & know that it all still goes on.

23. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Especially at lunchtime when you're stone cold sober. :)

24. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Nuclear free was loony bin central - I got frazzled on many an occasion.

They used to sell sweets upstairs if I recall.

25. Griff

Yeah, loved it. :D

26. El Jefe

yeh, in the "chill out room" - ie a UV box bedroom with a broken fish tank

27. Griff

:D Heh! You can't knock it though, it served the purpose.

You could always guarantee a good night if there were no free parties anywhere else. :D

28. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

i had my first argument with the current missus at the 414 at a NFZ, i thought she was flirting with some sweaty techno-heads, she took that rather badly....

29. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

I've had arguments in there as well. It is very rare for an attractive girl to actually go in there and as such they get much attention from every loved up sweaty mashed motherfucker in there. Not a place to take your girl.

30. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

It's an awful place but in a good kind of way.