Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Climate Strike

Nylock

I hate 'these days'...
I went to the Worcester one. Absolutely minuscule.

View attachment 184620

They blocked the pedestrian crossing at Worcester Bridge thereby preventing any traffic from crossing the river Severn. However, they only did this for seven minutes and un-blocked it for three minutes (so the traffic could pass) before re-blocking for seven minutes, etc. They did this for a whole two hours!

The traffic in Worcester city centre is always terrible at rush hour. The irony is that the traffic delays this morning were much less than normal :D

Everything was peaceful and friendly apart from some vile abuse from a small number vehicle drivers and pedestrians. Some drivers made a point of revving their engines hard as they passed and screeching away... only to be caught by the speed camera located a hundred metres or so along New Road :thumbs:
Our part of the world does seem to have the national reserve of cunty drivers... Fortunately they're all thick as mince as well :D

For such a backward, Brexity/Toryish, flag-waving, gammony place, Hereford had quite a surprisingly large turnout:D. The comments I overheard mainly consisted of 'just run the little fuckers over' and cretins in cars revving engines. :facepalm: Lots of police about as well.
Surely if they're used to 'driving' around Hereford then being stuck nose-to-tail in a perma-jam ought to be something that should come as no suprise to them by now ;)

Bahnhof Strasse

A-wob a-bob bob
Guildford had well over 1000 yesterday, tiny Godalming had 70 or so for a bike ride around town this morning for an hour, only one van gave grief, every other car either accepting or honking in support. Being a lovely day helps, but for a first ever critical mass in the town it went down well and so long as it is not pissing down I imagine the next one will be much, much bigger :thumbs:

chilango

Der Teufel scheißt immer auf den größten Haufen
To answer, briefly, LynnDoyleCooper...

What was impressive about what I saw was not the political content, nor any strategic awareness but the spontaneity of the protest, emerging - largely - from below.

The number, and range, of people "just showing up". The schoolkids' energy and leadership.

XR may become an obstruction. They tried to impose their own stage management with their stupid red mime artists and telling the kids that the XR branding needed to lead the march...

I don't think the kids will pay too much attention to that.

Also there were enough counter influences to XR (Plan C, GAF, IWW the mainstream Unions etc.) to stop them becoming hegemonic.

We'll see where it goes next. I'm not going to hold my breath but it filled me with more optimism than anything has for a while.

MrSki

Who am I to say you're wrong
Guildford had well over 1000 yesterday, tiny Godalming had 70 or so for a bike ride around town this morning for an hour, only one van gave grief, every other car either accepting or honking in support. Being a lovely day helps, but for a first ever critical mass in the town it went down well and so long as it is not pissing down I imagine the next one will be much, much bigger :thumbs:
Godalming and the surrounds are a bit hilly so it is going to need to get the young uns on the bike ride. ;)

HoratioCuthbert

See the mother fuckin broken
To answer, briefly, LynnDoyleCooper...

What was impressive about what I saw was not the political content, nor any strategic awareness but the spontaneity of the protest, emerging - largely - from below.

The number, and range, of people "just showing up". The schoolkids' energy and leadership.

XR may become an obstruction. They tried to impose their own stage management with their stupid red mime artists and telling the kids that the XR branding needed to lead the march...

I don't think the kids will pay too much attention to that.

Also there were enough counter influences to XR (Plan C, GAF, IWW the mainstream Unions etc.) to stop them becoming hegemonic.

We'll see where it goes next. I'm not going to hold my breath but it filled me with more optimism than anything has for a while.
That’s great news, the XR ones up here are all about stage management too- but it’s orkney, easy to lead. I’ll watch with interest what’s unfolding.

HoratioCuthbert

See the mother fuckin broken
... just had a look around and it seems kids in the outer isles (I live in a set of islands ken) went on strike of their own volition yesterday, don’t know how managed the one on the Orkney mainland was but they had the XR banners anyway. Nice!

Rob Ray

Irony is well sad
Screen shot 2019-09-22 at 14.20.14.png

Sure George, it was "black bloc" to blame for the global justice movement's inability to get the forces of modern neoliberalism to abandon their exploitative ways. If people hadn't been kicking off in the background who knows what you moaning at people whose wealth derived directly from doing things you didn't approve of might have achieved.

"May I buy you another glass of whine Mr Koch? I'm sure you'll abandon your involvement in the extractive industries and intensive lobbying to undermine climate science in favour of eliminating environmental regulations once I've sat you down and explained how bad it is for the planet ..."

:facepalm:

Last edited:

LynnDoyleCooper

I fucking told you so.
View attachment 184817

Sure George, it was "black bloc" to blame for the global justice movement's inability to get the forces of modern neoliberalism to abandon their exploitative ways. If people hadn't been kicking off in the background who knows what you moaning at people whose wealth derived directly from doing things you didn't approve of might have achieved.

"May I buy you another glass of whine Mr Koch? I'm sure you'll abandon your involvement in the extractive industries and intensive lobbying to undermine climate science in favour of eliminating environmental regulations once I've sat you down and explained how bad it is for the planet ..."

Despite his attempts to hide them, his true colours really show through sometimes.

Idris2002

Hate Ashbury
View attachment 184817

Point taken - buy you can be sure that someone "spooky" somewhere is dusting off go-orders for a new generation of spy cops. Someone needs to warn the kids about agents provocateurs. . .

LynnDoyleCooper

I fucking told you so.
I dunno, I'm really skeptical about even thinking about the agents provocateurs thing, it's much more complex than that, and far too easily becomes something people shout at anyone doing something they don't like.

Rob Ray

Irony is well sad
Ninja dress up is just asking for it.
It is and it isn't. At the moment it comes across as offputting because as a strategy its uniformity and anonymity is alien-seeming, as well as consistently scoffed at by exactly the sort of liberal who'd like nothing more than for troublemakers to be taken off the streets.

But there's absolutely no doubt that the future of direct-action protest will have to involve some form of ninja dress-up, simply because the tech for AI-led camera-surveillance is nearly good enough that any State looking to crack down on dissent will be able to use it to arrest anyone stupid enough to leave their face clear (and if you think the British government won't resort to it you're wrong). There's a reason why face masks are so prevalent and not at all taken the piss out of in the Hong Kong protests, and there's a reason why laws have been brought in across Europe either banning face coverings or requiring them to be removed on police orders.

LynnDoyleCooper

I fucking told you so.
I think being open, rooted in community and class is the best protection against provocateurs.

Ninja dress up is just asking for it.
Think they're both needed. Ideally the later by people as part of the former. But I get the gist of where you're coming from I think, and agree.

Pickman's model

every man and every woman is a star
I dunno, I'm really skeptical about even thinking about the agents provocateurs thing, it's much more complex than that, and far too easily becomes something people shout at anyone doing something they don't like.
You've never met anyone sent down because of agents provocateur I see

chilango

Der Teufel scheißt immer auf den größten Haufen
There's a world of difference between taking precautions about getting facial ID'd when necessary and the dress up element when it's not.

That's not a new issue mind.

LynnDoyleCooper

I fucking told you so.
You've never met anyone sent down because of agents provocateur I see
No, have you? What people have called agent provocateurs are often just undercover police, rather than actually provocateurs encouraging people to 'more extreme' activity.

I've never come across them on demos or actions despite hearing and seeing people shout that hundreds of times. And some of the times people have been called agent provocateurs from the spy cops debacle weren't that either, or at the very least the situation was less clear than that, although sometimes it's suited people to claim such for legal defence reasons.

Last edited:

LynnDoyleCooper

I fucking told you so.
There were a couple of animal rights people ages ago, but not heard of anyone else where they were the reason people got sent down.

Red Sky

It was like that when I got here.
View attachment 184817

This is obvious unuanced bollocks from Moonboot but there is an argument to be had about when and where there is a mandate for violence and when it's just adrenalin fuelled LARPing.

During the summit hopping years I saw a lot of pretty daft black bloc stuff.

Riklet

procrastinación
Was big in Bristol.. some marching and road blocking and more radical bits but most people were just chilling out for the music.

Was very impressed by some of the radical young uns and their decent chants... police FIT teams (our old friends) were busy photographing away, of course.

XR had a stall and I argued with some bellend selling their books but who doesn't believe in reading and also thinks that climate change will affect everyone equally, regardless of wealth, class, gender, geography etc. Also had some good conversations and felt inspired, too. Something is building.

Marty1

lol
That awesome movement, fucks sake, can't believe this is an actually existing organisation
I wonder how they are funded as according to their site, they give away £10 notes to emergency services by sticking docs enclosed sticker bags to vehicles, not to mention coffee and doughnut giveaways.

Can’t help thinking homeless people would be more in need of such.