Climate Doomsters. Are you one? I am.

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by David Clapson, Dec 3, 2019 at 7:22 PM.

1. David Clapson

David Clapson Infamous Knob

All I foresee is desertification, fires, floods, famine, drought and millions of refugees. A sequence of irreversible disasters is lined up. And that's just the things we know about. Things we only half know about, like changes in ocean currents and insect loss, will turn out to be worse than suspected. Food chains will collapse. The population will halve. The good news is that the UK will be fine. The Channel will keep the refugees out. New food technology will compensate for reduced imports. Northern Russia will eventually become farmland, so Putin's successors will be able to bully the West with wheat prices after we've stopped needing their gas.

2. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

I reckon it’ll be fine. :thumbs:

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

Northern Russia will become farmland? You mean the melting permafrost where things dead for many thousands of years are only now starting to rot and where ancient caches of all manner of virulent diseases are springing back to life like the anthrax outbreak on the yamal peninsula a year or two back? You know not of what you witter

Poi E, Almor, Nylock and 7 others like this.
  4. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

While I will not deny that climate change will be a challenge in the next century, I can't be a "doomer." I've looked closely at that movement and almost to a man, they are unrepentant mysogynists. Some of them believe the notion that women will "get back in their place" if everything collapses and we have to go back to the way things were before our technological society. They're like the Evangelical Christians, who long for Armageddon, instead of fearing it..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 8:15 PM
    NoXion likes this.
  5. Marty1

Marty1 lol

Climate terrorists sounds better than climate doomsters.

6. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Eh? How are prople who have a pessimistic outlook on climate change terrorists?

krtek a houby likes this.
  7. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I didn't use a straw at lunch today. I've bought us some time to build our survival shelters.

8. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

If you build it from straws it will last for thousands of years

9. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Oh no it won't!!
    Not according to the big bad wolf..

wiskey, marty21 and Celyn like this.
  10. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Looks like Ireland may be in a bad way if we all have to give up meat and eat veg.

20191203_204942.jpg

11. stolinski

stolinski new but not new

I prefer to hold out for either my boy Ahmadinejad coming back and starting a nuclear apocalypse OR some sort of very fast ebola-like epidemic which will kill us all painfully. Or both.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  12. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

I'm all for it. I don't have any kids. The reason i like it is the cunts who are facilitating it will be fucked up by it as well. They think they're insulated from it but they're not. They'll pull the temple down on themselves as well as everybody else.
    And as for straws. I was taking the garbage down to the skip and a got a dirty look from a fellow who heard a glass clink from the garbage bag (didn't recycle). He was in the process of parking his massive RAM Truck. I don't drive but i have a license and vehicle. I eat seasonal local produce, and haven't taken a long haul flight in years. My carbon footprint is minuscule. A lot of this is virtue signaling. Try telling people to give up their cars, no more long haul flights, go vegetarian, cut their electricity use by 80% and pay more tax to address the issue and you'll find out who they really are. I vote Green or Labour (NDP) BTW (It'll be the same in BC when i get citizenship).

Artaxerxes and 8ball like this.
  13. Archimage

Archimage Kat Knapper

I was talking with my doctor yesterday, and she said I was about to drink and smoke myself to death. Should I even care? That might be better than what might await me if I live a long life.

14. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

Ideally with a nice major asteroid strike at the same time as Earth being hit with a nearby gamma ray burst - just to make sure.

15. stolinski

stolinski new but not new

That scenario fits in very nicely with the Alistair Reynolds book I'm reading!

16. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

I'd say the climate terrorists are those who pretend that everything is just fine & that climate change is a hoax.

The type who ignores the effects that its already having on low lying land, islands and developing nations. The type who thinks that crops won't fail, soil won't be washed away, there won't be conflict over resources, or that millions of migrants won't be on the move.

Wait until their own ivory towers come under siege, then. Maybe they might just want to do something about it. If it's not too late, of course.

Ming and Chilli.s like this.
  17. Pickman's model

bc british columbia?

18. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I don't know if "doomster" is the right word - climate change is already here and disasters are already happening, the focus should be on how to mitigate its effects and prevent it from getting even worse than it's already predicted to be.

19. Pickman's model

listening to the toady programme this morning while emissions from coal appear to be down, oil and gas appear to be up :(

20. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Yep. Vancouver.

21. Pickman's model

make sure you're living a reasonable distance above sea level

22. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Cascadia?

23. Pickman's model

try lake louise

24. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Not got there yet but it’s on the list. Cascadia is a fault line off the West coast of Vancouver island and when it goes it’ll be sending a big tsunami my way. They regularly test the province’s cellular alarm signal. It’ll swamp Richmond and low parts of the city. I’m on a hill though so i should be OK.

25. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

I read a good article about the -'big one' that will basically destroy the NW coast of US and Canada. Sounds fun - catastrophic earthquake followed by a tsunami. There is also evidence riding sea levels can cause volcanic eruptions - you've got a few of them in that part of the world too.

Best to always wear your water wings 24/7 just in case.

Ming likes this.
  26. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

We're fucked

Sprocket. and farmerbarleymow like this.
  27. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

What gets me is that for every 1 person trying to highlight the issue and do something about it there seem to be 10 shouting that they're a hypocrite. I think we might need an amnesty on finger pointing.

Ming and 8ball like this.
  28. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

What gets me is the War on Plastic and War on Food Waste is solely consumer focused.

A reusable carrier bag shouldn't absolve the companies pissing out individual shrink wrapped Spanish grown cucumbers or chocolate bars of responsibility for only peddling this shit.

Poi E, JimW, Yuwipi Woman and 2 others like this.
  29. Poot

No. I phrased it badly. Many people *love* it when a new vegan restsurant or zero waste shop closes down. They are *thrilled* when no one uses a new cycle track. I will never understand why. You are absolutely right about companies being responsible. Of course. But people's attitudes can be weird.

PursuedByBears and 8ball like this.
  30. Poot

The spanish salad thing is a particular bugbear of mine. Miles and miles and miles of plastic. All over andalusia. :(

Poi E and Bahnhof Strasse like this.