Climate Change

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by Dr Jon, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Dr Jon

Dr Jon so many beers, too little time Banned

I thought it would be useful to have a thread dedicated to Climate Change and to log CC milestones, as I reckon we're going to be seeing more and more of these over the coming years.

I'll start the ball rolling with North Pole above freezing

2. Dr Jon

3. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley These violent delights have violent ends.

Its only really been the Barent Sea, Scandanavia has been on a heat wave but the areas around the Bearing and Greenland have been unusually cold.

[​IMG]

Something wicked the way of the Arctic Archipelago comes though. 15 motherless centigrade may be on the cards if these models hold out. Though it looks a rather unstable system, so much warm air that far north in early June.

4. Dr Jon

German floods
    Record floods continue in North and Central Europe

Floods Threaten Central European Businesses

Record rainfall in Little Rock, Hanover, Melbourne

5. MikeMcc

MikeMcc Well-Known Member

CO2 concentration about to break the 400ppm level, we've already had a few individual measurements above that level, but we're certain to see the monthly and annual figures go through it this year. The May figure for Mauna Loa is 399.89ppm.

http://co2now.org/

6. Dr Jon

Stu Ostro's PDF is interesting and ongoing.

7. Dr Jon

8. Dr Jon

9. ferrelhadley

ATOMIC SUPLEX likes this.
  10. Dr Jon

I see that the Colorado Wildfires are still burning and that thousands are dead from extreme flooding in Uttarakhand. Both remind me of this recent post by Paul Beckwith:
    Climate Commission report: 80% of fossil fuel reserves must stay in the ground

11. Dr Jon

Just seen this:
    Arctic Heatwave Sizzles Northeastern Europe With 92 Degree Temperatures, Mangled Jet Stream Hosts Record Canadian Floods, and the Persistent Arctic Cyclone is Coring Through the North Pole
    Hansen's dice are rolling

:eek:

12. Dr Jon

62 Years of Global Warming in 13 Seconds

13. Dr Jon

14. ferrelhadley

15. Dr Jon

16. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

17. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

From the first link:

With temperatures rising worldwide due to global warming, though, maybe a cooling-off period is exactly what the planet needs. But for any hoping a weak solar cycle could provide a way to offset climate change, you can forget it. As Pesnell points out, "These are two independent effects. The solar signal will go up for awhile, but it's not an offset because if you just wait a couple of years, the sun will come back. They don't cancel each other out."

18. Johnny Canuck3

I'm glad to see you read that article. :)

19. Johnny Canuck3

I read somewhere that current human contribution to atmospheric carbon, is about 5% of the total.

20. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

I read somewhere that wee tiny people called Borrowers live in our houses.

21. MikeMcc

MikeMcc Well-Known Member

You read something that was wrong then...

It's pretty demonstrable that humans contributed pretty much all of the excess CO2 - A simple analysis of the quantities burnt (takes less than 2 sides of A4 paper and not even O-level maths..), O2 depletion, isotope analysis, etc.

22. Dr Jon

23. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Key word here being "excess"

One favourite disinformation tactic used by professional pathological liars in the PR industry to deceive the public about human CO2 emissions, is to count the natural CO2 emissions, but not count the natural take-up of CO2 that balances them out.

Then they compare anthropogenic emissions with the resulting huge, but in this context meaningless, number and dishonestly claim that human CO2 emissions are insignificant.

See e.g. http://grist.org/climate-energy/natural-emissions-dwarf-human-emissions/

lt35 likes this.
  24. Dr Jon

25. Dr Jon

26. Miss Caphat

Miss Caphat I want it that way

27. Dr Jon

28. Dr Jon

29. ferrelhadley

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/...mate-scientist-and-how-we-should-deal-with-it

30. Dr Jon

I saw that story on scribbler's blog:
    DC Superior Court Finds Indication of ‘Actual Malice’ in Climate Change Deniers’ Repeated Attacks on Michael Mann
    The greed and criminal stupidity of the denialist/crapitalist vermin is beyond contempt.
    :mad: