Climate change bet is won early...

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by free spirit, Feb 7, 2019.

1. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

Back in 2010 or so I offered this bet to Jonny Cannuck, Sasferato and any of the other posters at the time who were still repeating lines about climate change having ended in 1998 or similar climate change denying lines.

With 2 years left to run on this, I'm sad to report that I've basically won this bet - at least I would have done if any of the climate change sceptic posters had been willing to put their money where their mouth had been.

2013, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 are all in the 10 hottest years on record. 1998 is now only the 10th hottest year on record, and it seems pretty much inconceivable that this decade won't have a higher average temperature than all previous decades.

[​IMG]

2. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley These violent delights have violent ends.

Physics works. Colour me stunned.

CNT36 and SpookyFrank like this.
  3. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Ah now. Look, it's been on its way back down since 2016. Worst is over. :cool:

CNT36 likes this.
  4. editor

editor hiraethified

Whatever happened to Mr Cannuck?

5. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Did they take you up on the bet?

yield and Pickman's model like this.
  6. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Whatever it is, I'm against it

Spend your winnings on some kind of boat I reckon.

gentlegreen likes this.
  7. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

But I thought it was all a Chinese conspiracy. Trump told me so.

gentlegreen likes this.
  8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

swimming lessons

Argonia likes this.
  9. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

Unfortunately not, but they did start going a lot quieter on the subject shortly afterwards.

It would be good to see a mea culpa from them all though, given that they played their part* in delaying the action that should have been taken 10-15 years ago that would have meant we were well on our way to solving the problem by now.

*along with thousands of others across the internet

Argonia likes this.
  10. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

good for you free spirit, although I'd rather you would have lost this particular bet.

11. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

Anyone?