cleanser that really gets make up off

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by lolo, Jan 12, 2016.

1. lolo

lolo Well-Known Member

so my skin can't take any more face wash and water at this time of year but I have trouble finding a cleanser (to use with hot cloth) that actually really gets rid of make up - I don't wear much just concealer really but still finding it a massive pain to get something that works and doesn't dry out my skin (which is the issue I'm having with the face washes)
    can anyone recommend anything? i have an oily t zone and wrinkles to give you some idea...
    hope this post is in the right place....

2. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Most cleansers aren't used with a hot cloth.

Have you tried oil cleansing? this is one method.

Oil-Cleansing Method

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    Maharani and kittyP like this.
  3. lolo

lolo Well-Known Member

this uses a hot cloth - or warm cloth - this is what i meant but unsure of using this stuff as I've had reactions to coconut stuff before

4. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

Or Emulsifying Ointment. It's a not a cleanser: it's a thing you smear on and then foam up with water and, when you wash it off, it leaves a soft, waxy feel to your skin.

It's cheap as chips and all chemists will stock it. I've been using it for decades.

Emulsifying ointment BP

Greebo likes this.
  5. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

I've started using one of the creams from Lush - Ultraband - in combination with a hot cloth. Very good.

lolo likes this.
  6. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Maybe google for make up remover specifically, rather than cleanser.

7. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

I use these. Have been through a few different type to find the wettest ones and these work for me.

[​IMG]

zoooo, moomoo, moose and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

One of the things about washing - I think - is the massage it gives to the face, to get the blood circulating. I think that's an important thing.

9. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

10. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I don't know the reason but these, and others of their ilk, are REVILED on mumnset. I do find that I come home with a few small spots when I use them on trips.

11. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Are they REVILED? :D For why?

12. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

And while we're vaguely on the subject what is this micellar water stuff? Everyone seems to have a micellar cleansing product in their range now. I've been meaning to ask for ages.

Oh, wait I've just googled, and here's what someone called Colin has to say about them.

What is Micellar Water? - Colin's Beauty Pages

Maybe they are the answer!

13. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I don't know. I just saw several posts where people have said things along the line of 'OMG those cleansing wipes are AWFUL. DO NOT USE!!!! See the thread' etc. All very EMPHATICALLY.

I didn't go looking for any threads though so it will forever be a mystery.

14. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Har, those funny people. Do they hate bog brushes too, I think?

15. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Yowch - just googled and it looks like they, or one of their number, thinks flannels are FAR SUPERIOR as one can wipe with one side, wipe with the other then throw in the laundry basket! :D

idumea likes this.
  16. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

That stuff's amazing. I bought a mini garnier one in Boots just before Christmas for a £1 to try it out and now I've bought the larger version. Yesterday it took off the Urban Decay 24 hour eye liner with one swipe and that shit is hard to remove.

Thimble Queen and Maharani like this.
  17. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I've had a couple of bottles of it, can't remember which (cheapish brands) but I've not noticed anything special about their make up removing power tbh. I do like them though as cleansers either seem to be harsh astringent KILL TEENAGE SPOTS types or creams that are annoying to get off completely, or washes, which are fine in the bath but I don't like using at the sink. I'd recently returned to my teenage years with Anne French cleansing milk which I like but isn't always in stock, hence trying out the micellar stuff.

18. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

Maybe I'm comparing them to my usual wash off cleansers and they're much less faff. Dunno. Back to the OP though, I bought some Liz Earle in the sale and that's meant to be used with the cloth (no, couldn't afford Eve Lom even on sale :D ) but I haven't tried it yet. It seems pretty popular.

19. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm. Not cheap but amazing and lasts for ages.
    Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm. Also pretty good.

lolo likes this.
  20. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

I just use soap and water, it does the trick! :)

21. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Lush ultrabland - apply with fingers, take off with moistened cloth or cottonwool - it should be compatible with the hot cloth method, and it certainly removes waterproof make up, even heavily pigmented stuff.

lolo I get a reaction to coconut oil/fat on my face and this cleanser's been okay on me.

lolo likes this.
  22. Saffy

Saffy Under the duvet..

I use Lush 9 to 5 and it's pretty good at removing my makeup.

23. Ms T

I like Ultrabland too.

24. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

I use these as well, usually combined with a separate eye makeup remover. I like them, never had any problems.
    I like olay eye makeup remover which hardly anywhere stocks anymore. I much prefer cream to liquid eye stuff and it's hard to find.

25. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

My OH uses these. She wasn't best pleased when I confessed I used them to wipe my bum.

Proper squeaky clean bum 'ole mind.

26. Ms T

I really don't like facial wipes. Once you use a proper hot cloth cleanser the difference is amazing. And you don't need a separate eye make up remover or exfoliator.

27. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

You need these for you bum
    [​IMG]
    Or sainsburys do their own cheaper version.
    They break up in the sewers like toilet paper does.

You shouldn't put wet wipes/make up removing wipes down the loo as they don't break up block drains/sewers :(

idumea, moomoo, Greebo and 1 other person like this.
  28. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

I use the Nivea wipes. I tried the hot cloth thing, but got sick of having a zillion cloths to wash and dry.
    I don't really wear much makeup anyway, most of the time, it's mainly to get mascara off. I'm quite pleased I'm doing something that's reviled by the Witches of Mumsnet. :D

29. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Boot No.7 Oil cleanser. Slap it on, rinse it off, skin feels lovely. Takes off waterproof mascara and bombproof lipstick too:thumbs:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    lolo likes this.
  30. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

I kind of agree with this, you seen the tower of flannels in my bathroom?