Classic bands you finally get around to "discovering"

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by articul8, Jul 4, 2012.

1. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

When two of them became Win.

2. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Yep. So stop moaning.

3. ATOMIC SUPLEX

. . . and even more perplexing is that fact that you suggest that I am being the bizarre and incoherent one here.

4. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I know you are but what am I?

5. butchersapron

Stop moaning.

6. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

Sly & the Family Stone. I ignored them until this week because they didn't fit my expectations. Foolish me. I'm just listening to all their records on Spotify and I simply don't know what to expect next on each song. Listening to Everyday People now. Perfect. Never heard it until this week. :eek:

Edit: Is it wrong to compare them with Can (it's a better comparison than with Parliament)? I'm going to put Running Away and Moonshake on and then repeat and then repeat.

Edit more: I love trumpets.

Edit still more: On Underdog now. Blimey. Can now see where Gnarls Barkley are coming from. It's like a hole in my world has just been well filled.

Keeping on keeping on editing: Advice was the song that made me prick my ears up. Not just that rhythm - great but very of its time. That trumpet run - doesn't quite work but brilliantly so if you see what I mean. And those backing vocals - weirdly spooky on an upbeat song. Not a normal soul band. What's going on here? Very eclectic influences. Exciting stuff.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    ska invita and Voley like this.
  7. butchersapron

Why did i waste decades not listening The Clean? wtf was i thinking?

8. butchersapron

I know why as it goes, because i thought they would be like an indie crowded house.

ViolentPanda likes this.
  9. butchersapron

Kevin Ayers.

Dirty rock style hippy i thought. Not so. Well, not what i've found yet. I suspect the late 70s and 80s are going to be horrific though.

The39thStep likes this.
  10. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

I have become obsessed with this song. It's from 1983 and it sounds likes like Japanese pop-opera-indie over a "Road to Nowhere" beat. The album is good too. I'm in love with it.

Title translates as -"My Life is Big" apparently, but there must be an Urb with the language level to take issue with that.