Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapton CFC wins lease bid for Forest Gate's Old Spotted Dog ground

editor

hiraethified
Good news for the Clapton mob!

A football club's dream to "come back" to its "spiritual home" could soon be realised after it was offered the lease at a stadium in Forest Gate.

reeholder, Star Pubs & Bars, has offered Clapton Community FC the lease at the Old Spotted Dog ground in Upton Lane, the firm announced today (September 17).

A Clapton CFC spokesman said: "We're thrilled with today's announcement from Star Pubs & Bars that we're the prospective leaseholder and can't wait to outline our vision to them and to the public.

"From day one, Clapton CFC's mission has been to bring the Old Spotted Dog ground back to its rightful place as a hub of the Forest Gate and wider Newham community. We are a members-owned club and in a poll 99 per cent of fans wanted to return even though we're loving our time playing in Walthamstow too.

"We'll be holding a public meeting in Forest Gate in mid October where we want to set out our plans and hear from anyone who would like to use the facility for sporting or other community use.

"In the meantime we're going to be busy. The contract isn't signed yet, and there is plenty of work to do yet to get the ground fit for use.
'It's coming home': Clapton CFC wins lease bid for Forest Gate's Old Spotted Dog ground

I hope they haven’t jumped the gun. The Essex Senior League (where McBean’s Clapton still ply their trade) put out a mealy mouthed tweet yesterday suggesting they weren’t happy with this. But then they would say that, wouldn’t they. Useless blazers.

Dulwich Mishi

Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!
R.I.P.
I hope they haven’t jumped the gun. The Essex Senior League (where McBean’s Clapton still ply their trade) put out a mealy mouthed tweet yesterday suggesting they weren’t happy with this. But then they would say that, wouldn’t they. Useless blazers.
A tweet that I responded to, quite mild by my standards, and they promptly blocked me! A fine way to treat a fairweather non league fan who goes to at least a dozen Essex Senior League games a season...Aw, bless the sensitive souls!:D

Cat Daisy

I'm still waiting for my block! But their statement seems a badly-phrased way of supporting the McBean regime. Maybe he wrote it.
Isn't this league a bit of an anachronism anyway - the only "single county" league at that level hanging by a thread as it can't even make up the numbers without pinching clubs from Hertfordshire who were happily playing in the SSM League!