1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by cuppa tee, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Spark

Spark Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind if they carried on and opened a sainsburys beyond oval. We're stuck with pretty rubbish tesco metros.

2. Black Halo

Black Halo Well-Known Member

I think there is also a Sainsbury's of some description going in at 130-138 Newington Butts London SE11 4QU. There was a planing permission thing on the hoardings and am pretty sure they mentioned Sainsbury's

A ha found it, it was a premises licence for a Sainsbury's.

3. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

If anyone saw a load of Traveller's(?) caravans and vans etc on Clapham Common at the end of last week, and wondered where they've gone - they're in the carpark of the empty building behind my place :D

Apart from the generator starting 45 seconds after the police left until midnight and someone having Capital FM on so I had to listen to that fucking concrete jungle where dreams are made of song there's nothing much to report.

The empty building/site is set to be prepped for demolition starting this Monday.

4. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

snowy_again likes this.
  5. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

CHrist

6. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

7. billythefish

billythefish toad licker

Greebo and Sirena like this.
  8. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

It is, isn't it. I would hope all the added facilities are free. You could buy a street worth of houses with views in deep South london for that price.

Greebo likes this.
  9. cuppa tee

it isn't a typo because the £ per square foot works out the same

e2a oops..... it's only a million.......London Gentrification

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    Greebo, boohoo and gdubz like this.
  10. LondonLiz

LondonLiz New Member

Talking of lovely Kennington you can vote for the Cinema Museum in the Love London awards - our very own little hidden treasure

Time Out Love London Awards

Greebo and friendofdorothy like this.
  11. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Had a great night out in the Brown Derby last night. Didn't realise that place is open so late, not sure what time it closes as it was still in full swing when I left about 1am ish.

Greebo likes this.
  12. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

13. cuppa tee

editor likes this.
  14. cuppa tee

15. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I was at Stockwell Tube today - I see a Costa has opened - does it mean the other coffee place has been put out of business? Tricky Skills and anyone else Stockwell way

16. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

Not sure if 'out of business' is the correct phrase, but yeah :(

17. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

pushed out.... :( So big business over little business. At Norwood Junction there has been some hoo-ha with one of the coffee shops not looking the part

'Your café isn't hip enough to be at Norwood Junction'

It's a well presented space and they do a nice cheese bagel - not sure what the problem is.

Greebo likes this.
  18. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Strange to think though that Costa was set up, in Lambeth, in 1971, by a pair of brothers who had come to Britain only the previous decade. The first shop was on Vauxhall Bridge Rd, very useful when I worked next door.

Greebo, boohoo and SpamMisery like this.
  19. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you? Banned

I had no idea it was British, let alone Lambethian

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Its roots were in Lambeth but it was new owners Whitbread who made them a well known uber-chain.

Greebo likes this.
  21. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Oh yes. I forgot its south London roots.

But it still seems to be big business favoured over little. And the man running the coffee place was from Kansas so not local.

leanderman likes this.
  22. cuppa tee

Kennington Park was the scene of some jolly japes in the form of a mass pillow fight over the weekend
    Londoners enjoy mass pillow fight despite fears it had been axed
    the resulting piles of feathers have left park regulars and staff a bit miffed tho.

e2a i saw the thing with my own eyes and it was just as shit as the video suggests

Greebo likes this.
  23. 50yrsInBrixton

50yrsInBrixton Banned Banned

That's a bit wanky from you Tory types.

24. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

25. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

If boohoo is far too polite to tell you to fuck off I will instead. Fuck off.

boohoo likes this.
  26. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Not the place for personal spats - and boohoo is very far from being a tory.

friendofdorothy and boohoo like this.
  27. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

28. Spark

Spark Well-Known Member

I've just seen that the new elephant and Castle leisure centre is finally due to open next weekend.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Greebo likes this.
  29. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

I really like The Sugar Pot on Kennington Park Road.
    Excellent coffee- Volcano beans, roasted in another nearby local café that has a mini roasting operation. Fantastic sourdough, cheese and serrano ham toasted sandwich - they get the cheese all lacy where it oozes out of the side. Coffee and toastie :£6. Not the cheapest ever, but it is now my favourite local treat.
    The new Que Arts shop on the same strip has a fantastic range of useful stuff - art and craft materials, wrapping paper, stationery, cards.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's some strange folks living in Kennington: