Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by cuppa tee, Oct 9, 2014.

1. footballerslegs

footballerslegs Well-Known Member

In a slight tangent, has any one else noticed that postboxes on Stockwell Road and at Stockwell Post Office have been sealed up?! Or at least they were on Saturday. Why would this happen, especially in a rare year when I'm planning to write Christmas cards?

2. SarfLondoner

SarfLondoner KenDoddsDadsDogsDead.

Honest Burger is about to open a shop at Venn street,Not long since Byron burger open up around the corner!

3. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

blimey at this rate cows will become an endangered species

Rushy likes this.
  4. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

And there is an Haché across the street!

5. SarfLondoner

It's okay it's all "sustainable" :)

6. SarfLondoner

Plus a Gourmet Burger and Bodeans and Gizel and Maccy D's,Other outlets are available etc,etc.

7. SarfLondoner

Better give Shalamar a shout while i'm at it.

8. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Hardly eat red meat now I realise the madness of the agrinomics behind it.

Greebo and SarfLondoner like this.
  9. SarfLondoner

I cut out red meat 4 months ago and feel a lot healthier and energetic.

leanderman likes this.
  10. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

11. cuppa tee

.......like school crossing wardens ?

12. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills Well-Known Member

But not all of the money is going back directly towards the school. Lambeth Cllr Kevin Craig's 'political consultancy' company has trousered over half a million out of Durand in the past three years for PR work.

Craig sits on the Board of the Academy Trust.

cuppa tee likes this.
  13. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

This academy stuff is costly madness.

Greebo and Tricky Skills like this.
  14. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

Why do I get the impression that you are somehow connected to the establishment?

I'm not too sure that the General Dental Council would advocate spamming as the best means of promoting a practice

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
    Greebo likes this.
  15. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Anyone know what's happening with Alba on Bedford Road? It looked like they'd shut for a basic refit, but it is a few weeks down the line now and they've got adverts out for bar staff. They haven't needed bar staff to serve pizzas thus far. Is there a change in the offing? Can we expect our Peronis in jam jars?

16. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

Not to mention Durands involvement with political lobbying, their ridiculous part time boarding secondary school and the ridiculous stand off they got into with lambeth over their second site... They at the most litigious school I've ever encountered and together with the bad experience my family (and others I know) had with them... I despise them.
    Especially the bloody headmaster who in my opinion is a nasty piece of work and cares more about building a name and enterprise than the children or their education or the communities they come from

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    Tricky Skills and leanderman like this.
  17. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Kennington Park Road closed both ways 'cos of an accident outside Kennington tube this evening

eta apparently car and motorbike rta (via bbc traffic)

18. ricbake

ricbake working out how

19. Tricky Skills

Hopefully we'll get a Stockwell Market by the summer. There's talk of a spring soft launch.

ANYTHING to stop those bloody cars still driving down Binfield Road.

BBuzz piece.

Brixton Hatter and aussw9 like this.
  20. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

On the 59. Just gone past the poshest Costcutter I've ever seen at the park end of Kennington road. I thought it was Waitrose or something. Looks brand new.

21. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

By Fisher Meredith? That one's been there for years. The new ones are all like that. See also Stockwell Green (open 24/7 - invaluable on Christmas day).

Brixton Hatter and DietCokeGirl like this.
  22. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

shows how often I catch the 59 :D

23. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

It did used to be right grubby though, that Costcutters. Now it looks positively swish and whenever I go past on the 59 I always see somebody who works there fiddling about with their new grocery display. It used just be sat in what looked like washing up bowls and now its a fucking installation.

24. Spark

Spark Well-Known Member

It was done up last year.

25. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Just wait till your kid's older (South Bank bus).

26. Tricky Skills

Even Costcutter by Stockwell tube has had the deli style makeover. No worries - Lidl is just around the corner :D

It will be interesting to see where all the trade goes when Sainsbury take over Jack's.

27. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Used to be my local shop when I lived next to Kennington Park. I remember when they stopped doing deals on decent beers. In fact, they might have been an independent shop before they were a costcutter. The Londis just round the corner past the caff/Barclays used to be an independent and do 6 cans of Holsten Pils for a fiver.

28. cuppa tee

do you mean the original KP costcutter which was the other side of the job centre where the new Morans builder merchants is.......
    btw a new Sainsburys is going on the the site of the old DeLieto bakery on S Lambeth Road opposite the Canton Arms

29. Tricky Skills

So soon there will be a 'choice' of Sainsburys at Jack's, Sainsburys at Di Lieto or the MEGA Sainsburys going up at Nine Elms.

30. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

I meant the same site was an independent shop before becoming a Costcutter but now I'm not so sure! :D