Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by cuppa tee, Oct 9, 2014.

1. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

I saw it. Isn’t one of those Google mapping planes that regularly fly above night and day?

2. editor

editor hiraethified

Aw!

shakespearegirl likes this.
  3. editor

editor hiraethified

4. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

GarveyLives and Gramsci like this.
  5. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Popped along to the festival today for a couple of hours. It was pleasantly chilled out and the weather held up.

I did accidentally order a pizza with vegan cheese but it was actually pretty good, so well done to the cheese maker.

editor likes this.
  6. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the neighbours concerned do not consider the dead African to be "somebody", or that if they do, he is deserving of the manner of his death and whatever led to it?

I guess that we would have to hear from the neighbours involved for clarification.

cuppa tee likes this.
  7. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

People might find this thread helpful in making an assessment AirportWatch | Cases of objects, including human stowaways, falling from planes

8. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

At the Oasis Kennington Police Station meeting. Florence Eshalomi and Lembit Öpik in attendance

editor likes this.
  9. editor

editor hiraethified

Please report back!

BusLanes likes this.
  10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Is Lembit representing the Lib Dems or Russia Today?

11. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

So I went with a friend who lives nearby. I've spent a bit of time in the area and whilst I don't live there now I do like to keep an eye on stuff.

It was an interesting event, somehow they'd found a donor who'd paid for the hotel to host us and feed/water us, which is a big help with public events for turnout anyway. The crowd were quite mixed - lots of parents with young kids, which was nice - although a bit noisy during the speeches.

Steve Chalke was running things, as you'd expect. He's good at this kind of event, can raz the crowd up and all that. He then had a succession of speakers, both locals (a couple of local mums) and various campaigners, including a local retired fireman/FBU organiser, Flo Elomoshi MLA, Mohammad Seedat (Streatham Wells Ward) - latter there as a cabinet member. Flo did attack the mayor's plans quite strongly, tbf. Then of course, Lembit. He spoke for a while about the business case/costings. He's actually pretty good at this kind of event - much better at holding the audience than the others, but then he was an MP for a long time so he should be. He was there as a local, he lives down the road and he's also a parishioner of Steve's so he was there in that capacity, not as a Lib Dem. There were several there though, but didn't speak.

The argument basically being that Oasis running the site as a community hub has a better chance of helping the community reduce incidence of crime and so that should be factored into the decision by the mayor. Lembit's talk was in large part about this - what the cost saving could be if crime was reduced.

Operationally, Oasis seems to have it in hand. They're organised and have a plan. They have a proposal, they're doing a letter campaign, they have local politicians on board, they have a petition and they've got the group delivering appropriate leaflet.

Personally, whilst I was impressed, I still feel I need to know more about Oasis itself before I would get properly involved.

editor and CH1 like this.
  12. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I would have loved to go, but well out of SC area. I still haven't fully grasped the purpose of this meeting. Was it some sort of anti-crime initiative involving extra policing - paid for by the community? If so study Cabinet papers for Monday the 15th July. There is a big paper in there about the council paying for extra police officers. (I thought we already paid in the Mayoral for policing??)

I would be interest to meet Steve Chalke. He is of the ultra-liberal wing of the evangelicals. He got chucked out of the Evangelical Alliance when he decided (or had it revealed to him) that gay marriage would be more acceptable in the sight of God than philandering in Kennington Park like Kevin Spacey.

IMHO there are far too many things called Oasis. And its nots clear which of them come under the auspices of Steve Chalke and which are independent. Its a bit like Mosaic. All sorts of things are called Mosaic - including Mosaic Clubhouse, but are not connected.

On the same issue look at this learned report on Outreach and Support in South London (OASIS) - re SLAM's schizophrenic customers (aged 14 - 35). Not sure if this SLAM OASIS still exists. The public would be the last to know.

Attached Files:

BusLanes likes this.
  13. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

The Kia Oval have opened the ground to welcome the winning team. Free entry (bag search) , local schools are all on the pitch , team members meeting the crowds, not sure what time it is going on until.

14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

15. editor

editor hiraethified

16. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

17. editor

editor hiraethified

18. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

ash likes this.