Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham Junction - recommend me a good pub

Leafster

From the FRow
I'm meeting a mate at Clapham Junction this evening and wondered if anyone knew of a decent pub or two close to the station.

I know I've left it to the last minute to post this but quick responses would be greatly appreciated! :)

DG55

Falcon is the only half decent one. It isn't that great though, and its a 'Nicholsons' chain. Still, nice old style feel inside.

The only others right near the station are Slug and Lettice, which looks awful, and Revolution - across the road from Falcon, which also looks horrible.

If you ever venture further away from the station, 'The Holy Drinker' is a very nice independent pub/bar on Northcote Road. There is also 'The Goat', and 'The Duck' both on Battersea Rise. 'The Northcote' on the corner of Northcote Road and Battersea Rise is ok for a no nonsense pint, with less of the 'world beers' the other bars like 'The Goat' will have on offer. For something a bit different there is 'Le Bouchon' up on Battersea Rise also, which is a French bar/restaurant.

So yeah, Falcon it is. Go go go!

Leafster

From the FRow
Thanks DG55, we might try out a few ;) so it's good to have more of a selection.

Thanks for the restaurant tip too. I'm sure I'll be hungry at some point. :D

DG55

El Gee said:
Thanks DG55, we might try out a few ;) so it's good to have more of a selection.

Thanks for the restaurant tip too. I'm sure I'll be hungry at some point. :D
My pleasure. Although about Le Bouchon - I've never eaten there, but was recommending it as a place to drink - Kronenbourgs aplenty, food is very expensive there I think.

Although if you do want a restaurant tip, there is 'Banana Leaf' near the corner of Northcote Road and Battersea Rise. They serve an interesting pan Asian style menu, with Thai, Singapore, Chinese, and Malaysian influences. Gets good reviews, nice independent place. So if you're into that sort of thing check it out.

Theres also the 'Gourmet Burger Kitchen' on Northcote Road if you're after a big fat burger. You'll find a few of these in London, but they do have some delicious (if expensive) burgers.

ViolentPanda

Hardly getting over it.
DG55 said:
Falcon is the only half decent one. It isn't that great though, and its a 'Nicholsons' chain. Still, nice old style feel inside.

The only others right near the station are Slug and Lettice, which looks awful, and Revolution - across the road from Falcon, which also looks horrible.
Has the Windsor castle (just up St. John's hill from the station, opposite the Grand) closed then, or has it reverted to it's flea-pit status of the 1980s?

DG55

Ah yes the Windsor Castle! Completely forgot about that one. It is still there, and its probably one of the only places in Clapham with that 'pub' feel. Recently had a refurbishment so its pretty decent. I dont go there that often though.

I'd probably recommend this one too as its very close to the station, theres also a beer garden (although not much use in this weather!).

Leafster

From the FRow
Thanks for your suggestions yesterday.

We went in The Falcon first which seems like a pretty decent pub, then on to Banana Leaf for food. The menu is comprehensive and pretty cheap. :cool:

Finished of the evening in The Northcote for a couple more. :D

I think I may be visiting the area again. Probably visit the Windsor Castle next time.

Cheers!

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
I was in the Windsor Castle a couple of months back, and it had the most rank, piss-smelling, disgusting toilets I've had the bad fortune of visiting in years.

The front room is alright. The larger back room can sometimes be full of pissheads.

DG55

T & P said:
I was in the Windsor Castle a couple of months back, and it had the most rank, piss-smelling, disgusting toilets I've had the bad fortune of visiting in years.
I thought this was the custom in most pubs? :confused:

Realised this thread is 12 years old!

I have to be in this area this week, can anyone recommend a pub? Is the Falcon the only place?
decent beer and pref a place without the usual clapham type...

Reactions: tim

Plumdaff

joy in people
I went here for a beer recently. It was alright but there must be better nearby

That's The Falcon near Clapham North and Clapham High St, not The Falcon by Clapham Junction. I used to drink in the Falcon you visited when I worked at Lambeth Hospital, but it's nowhere near Clapham Junction.

Chz

Stark Raving Sane
Probably not to everyone's taste, but I've always quite liked Project Orange up the hill. Great selection of beer, but a bit noisy. Also not open before 5, iirc.

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
The Northcote Tavern is decent enough, and it's only 2-3 minutes walk from Clapham Junction station main exit.

The Asparagus is, err.. a Whetherspoons pub at its most Wetherspoonish, if you take my meaning. So it depends on whether you like that vibe or not. But unless prices are your overriding and only concern, you might as well stay at the Falcon than walk to The Asparagus. The Falcon has a fairly acceptable selection of ales and it's not as 'lively', IME at least.

hash tag

chillin
I have a soft spot for the Falcon at the Junction. It's more drinkers than trendies AND it's listed and has the worlds longest bar The Falcon, Battersea - Wikipedia
How far from the Junction would you want to travel and what you looking for?
Nice traditional pub, 5 mins walk Home - The Fox and Hounds Pub
Bit more modern n trendy, 15 minutes The Lighthouse | Pub & Beer Garden in Battersea
poncy, theatre upstairs, good food 10 minutes walk The Latchmere: pub dining in Battersea, SW11
5 minutes, modern Youngs pub The Plough Clapham
Modern trendy Youngs riverside pub The Waterfront
very crowded, popular youngs riverside pub The Ship Wandsworth
A bit further afield, a rare Harveys pub, small friendly, not good with food The Cat's Back

In the other direction, 5 minutes a popular Youngs pub Northcote
10 minutes, towards the prison, friendly n trendy The Roundhouse Wandsworth | Pub in Wandsworth

The Windsor Castle is the pits.

Need any more suggestions? :D