Clapham Common Crop marks

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Shippou-Sensei, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

I was pissing about with google maps and saw what look like crop marks on clapham common.

Having watched far too much Time Team I am now super curious as to what this might be. (all in my imagination no doubt)

The lines look parallel to the existing pathway so a park related structure?
    (It's just caused by the lawnmower they use isn't it?)

clapcrop.jpg

2. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

I bet it's something to do with seagulls. Wankers :mad:

Bahnhof Strasse, OzT, marty21 and 5 others like this.
  3. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Could it be WW2? Didn't they start growing crops in the parks. Also maybe air raid shelters.

RubyToogood and alex_ like this.
  4. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Opening hatch for a military space vehicle?

5. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

This is interesting

Hidden landscapes the heatwave is revealing

Nivag and clicker like this.
  6. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Allotments ?

Poot likes this.
  7. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

or prefab housing at the end of ww2?

can't really see the photo clearly as i'm on the move, but have seen a blog or two showing outlines of prefab sites on whats now green space elsewhere in london

8. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Eg Clapham Common, Clapham: World War II

I think this is looking towards Clapham Common north side from over by the long pond and is about where your lines are

hash tag likes this.
  9. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

I don't know Clapham Common but I reckon this by the shapes. Possibly during the war.

10. Shippou-Sensei

I was browsing through a timeline of the site and saw two things that might account for the marks
    The dark lines could be the remains of drainage ditches or trenches.

looks a little narrow for trenches though

11. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Old animal pens? Did they graze stock being driven to market there back in the day?

12. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

Well, I think any of the above could be right.

1949 large scale OS map shows 'gun site' a bit north of the bit of the common in question, and prefabs along Long Road.

see here (mouse wheel will zoom in / out, and the slider 'change transparency of overlay' lets you fade in / out of current map or satellite.

But nothing on the exact spot you refer to.

This page mentions allotments and air raid shelters (can't find anything specific about these - the deep level shelter at Clapham Common station has a lot of coverage on the web) and an anti aircraft gun position, it also mentions trenches being dug in ww1 as a military training exercise.

Phil Piratin MP (communist, Mile End) asked a question in the House in 1949 (Hansard) about the use of Clapham Common, which also mentions a Ministry of Works depot which is not marked on the map (anything remotely military is / was often not marked on maps - I was surprised to see 'gun site' as OS maps of similar age show the Woolwich Arsenal site as a blank space, and it was only fairly recently that maps started showing the post office tower - or whatever the heck it's called now)

13. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

sealion likes this.
  14. Shippou-Sensei

Looking on those maps I also saw that brixton road follows the course of a roman road. I did not know that.

15. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Clapham common was used as a dumping ground/ concentration point for the rubble from the bombings during WW2

16. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Looks military, there's a gunsite and barracks listed on the 44-67 map nearby.

Explore georeferenced maps - Map images - National Library of Scotland