1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Citydash is coming to Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

As has been previously pointed out they use security to make sure that doesn't happen. See links to press reports in earlier posts.

2. xenon

xenon Blah blah blah

Fairpoint. I should read Those. I am not making light of The forceful monetisation of public space. For want of a better phrase.

editor and Gramsci like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Just a reminder of what these clowns got up to:

4. xenon

xenon Blah blah blah

Ok. Yep That is piss taking. There are of course plenty of fripperous activities that many people cannot afford. But it's treating peoples living space, their estates, communal areas, as a playground, with Mock security goons that makes this pointedly obnoxious

Gramsci and editor like this.
  5. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Sounds like this might be fun, for people who are into that kind of thing, but there's no way they should be doing this anywhere near people's homes when they can go play in the City of London or somewhere else that's mostly deserted at weekends - nobody wants to bump into these people when they're trying to go about their Saturday.

citydash.JPG

editor and Gramsci like this.
  6. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Presumably the game has some complexity and structure, and just running around next to them wouldn't work.

7. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Nobody here is going to volunteer to take part for £5 and report back from behind enemy lines are they.

ice-is-forming likes this.
  8. salem

salem Well-Known Member

The search engine got the perfect result in this case and therefore threw it up in the first position above your page! That's exactly how search engines are supposed to work.

The page is a general page for residents discount. Why on earth would they make a new one for each event? It would just look like some sort of SEO spam.

And click the link and you'll see that you enter your email address to get a discount, it looks quite simple really. Maggot found it with no hassle.

Maggot likes this.
  9. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

why is it not advertised on the event page then? or mentioned in the terms? :confused:

Gramsci likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Indeed. The bizarre suggestion that adding a single link to the residents discount page on the event page (or even mentioning its existence!) would somehow be seen as 'SEO spam' really is off the page stupid.

Gramsci likes this.
  11. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I would if I lived near.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes. I imagine it's just the sort of thing you'd love. Imagine the lolz dashing through a socially deprived neighbourhood with your new thrill-seeking chums while being chased by pretend security. Such fun!

13. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

If this synopsis was the entirety of the experience, then I wouldn't love it. I would expect it to be much more of a game, rather than just randomly running about being chased.

Seeing as all towns and cities are made up of a patchwork of different neighbourhoods, it seems inevitable that all citywide games of this kind would trespass. Just like the people walking or jogging down pavements, or more well to do people driving through in expensive cars or on expensive bicycles.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So you're OK with them running through deprived neighbourhoods and pissing off the locals residents because "cities are a patchwork of different neighbourhoods"?

How about they just fucking don't go running through private estates?

15. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I have no problem with people running through deprived neighbourhoods. I wouldn't want them to piss anyone off unduly. You have combined the two statements, which suggests that you believe any entry into particular neighbourhoods will piss people off.

If they are private estates, then they should only use with permission.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That seems to be the clear message from that earlier article. Perhaps - in your haste to support people having fun and japes in poor neighbourhoods via activities that the residents can't afford - you missed that?

ddraig likes this.
  17. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Apart from the huge distaste and fuckwittery of this, If they are running through private property without formal permission that is going to invalidate their insurance..
    in these times of heightened security I certainly wouldn't be running an event that could be misconstrued so easily.. only takes one over zealous security person or police officer for this to go very badly wrong

editor likes this.
  18. Maggot

Maggot .

They are not running through private property, the game is played on the streets.

19. shakespearegirl

It has been played on estates with clues placed in places like walkways which are private property.

editor likes this.
  20. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

why are you so keen to defend them? :confused:

editor likes this.
  21. Maggot

Maggot .

Yes it has. The news article which Editor keeps quoting, is from one incident nearly a year ago. I haven't seen any complaints since then.

22. Maggot

Maggot .

Why are you so keen to attack them?

23. shakespearegirl

It only takes one incident! The implications if someone gets injured or killed are very serious.

24. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

i'm hardly attacking them, they are being subject to scrutiny because of the many reasons listed in this thread and their monetising of public and private space that's not theirs.

why don't they have the resident discount on the event page for Brixton and why do you think it's not more obvious?

editor likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You haven't answered my question. How would a local resident learn about the existence of this supposed discount when it's not mentioned in the press release, or on the organisers home page, their FAQ page, their archive page, the Brixton event page or the Brixton booking page? I couldn't even find anything on their FB page.

[​IMG]

Maybe that's the competition. Find the residents' discount!

26. Maggot

Maggot .

Why do you keep banging on about this? I don't know and don't care, it's not my organisation. Why don't you ask them?

27. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

[​IMG]

28. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

Looks like Chris Martin has had to find other things to entertain himeslf since breaking up with Gwyneth.

29. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

You cared when you used it as a positive point for the organisers and to bash editor with, not moving the goalposts are you?

editor likes this.
  30. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I keep thinking this thread will die. It's such a fucking trivial thing. Of all the issues of poverty and living in a busy city, this must be somewhere below feeding pigeons or wide pushchairs on the priority list.

Maggot and salem like this.