1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Churches in Brixton...

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by MsEyeson, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

Just flog yourself while saying "Hail Mary"s and put the pics on tumbler.

jakejb79 likes this.
  2. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Yes it does - Arxhbishiop Deya and his wife were accused of flying infertile women to Nairobi where they gave birth to miracle babies purchased in the slums. And this: 'Miracle babies' preacher Gilbert Deya charged with sex offences
    Pastor to be extradited to Kenya accused of stealing babies

3. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Although there is a fine tradition of this in Spain, many of us church goers would settle for a nice cup of tea!

Greebo likes this.
  4. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

5. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

CH1 likes this.
  6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

He just bounces back every time. I didn't see the full thing tonight, but on the BBC London 6.30 pm news he was having a round table interview with himself and some followers on one side of the table and two BBC reporters on the other.
    Everything they asked him about he denied. The man is obviously a psychopathic liar and there seems to be no mechanism for dealing with it.

If I was a cynic I would suggest we need a judge-led enquiry and a new regulator!

kittyP likes this.
  7. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

I thought it was his dad (Joseph, not the God-dad) who was the carpenter, and Jesus was just doing an apprenticeship, like sweeping floors and doing the filing. But he never completed it as he quit early to do other things. An extended gap year I guess

Minnie_the_Minx and Celyn like this.
  8. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Feeling like a bit of light relief from Andrew Neil tomorrow morning, I scanned the Unitarian Church's website to check the service time.
    Was shocked to see a picture of myself and "refugee" lodger from around 2002 on the home page. Still nice to remember what it was like not to have a grey hair.
    church.jpg welcome.jpg

tim and Greebo like this.
  9. Harbourite

Harbourite Eggnog

Recently saw a Bentley GT Convertible with the number plate YE5 10RD being worked on at one of the garages near LJ. Asked the mechanic who it belonged to - a local church leader apparently! Obviously with a very generous congregation ...

Greebo and CH1 like this.
  10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

That one more likely Ruarch or New Covenant Church on Brixton Hill. Both of which are heaving. New Covenant is very Gospel of Prosperity - Nigerian accountants and software fiends and the like. Sounds like a likely place for a Bentley.

Greebo and lang rabbie like this.
  11. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I just realised the photo there was of a church outing to the Millenium Wheel. In a pod.

Greebo likes this.
  12. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

As far as I know there is only one church in Brixton to hold a David Bowie Memorial Serivce.

Obviously it has to be the Unitarian Church on Effra Road - supposedly a ticketed event, though I'd be surprised if they exceed their capacity - unless the "Sunday Service" atheist church lot turned up en masse.
    Bowie.jpg

Greebo likes this.
  13. Sister Midnight

Sister Midnight Well-Known Member

My Christian friend (young, Oxbridge etc!) who lives in Brixton goes to a church in Battersea I think...

14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Just wanted to point out that as I see it the swearing in of Sadiq Khan at Southwark Cathedral at noon Saturday 7th May involved a couple of local church luminaries.
    To my eye (and I'm adding a photo in case other think differently) the person leading Sadiq into the chancel area was Rev Nick George - vicar of St Giles Camberwell (photo below).

The the right of Sadiq as he says his "few words" at the lectern was Rev Canon Rosemarie Mallet, vicar of St John's Angel Town (and chair of St John's School governors).

Nick George.JPG

Greebo likes this.
  15. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I saw that car being driven aggressively through Brixton last Sunday. I was wondering what sort of person would be interested; the peerage or the church.
    I've seen that Ruach have a spanking new Transit minibus parked up by Roupell Road. Also very impressive in its own way.

16. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Seems there was a Good Friday service or procession by Brixton churches opposite the tube station - picture tweeted by Rev Rosemarie Mallet of St John's Angell Town.
    C9YnefSXUAE21Zz.jpg

Gramsci likes this.
  17. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The choir of Peterhouse Cambridge - the oldest Cambridge College (founded 1284 by Hugo de Balsham, Bishop of Ely) will be singing Coral Evensong 6.30 - 7.30 pm Sunday 18th June 2017 @ The Church of the Holy Spirit Narbonne Avenue SW4 9JU (Brixton/Clapham borders).

I understand there is an after party @ the Bread and Roses for Green Party members.

bimble and Winot like this.
  18. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Not actually Brixton - but I happened upon this about a sevice at the HQ of UKCG - whose keen charity collectors appear at Brixton tube station, Iceland and Tescos particularly at Christmas and are well appreciated by Urbanites of all faiths (or so they say on here).

The Brixton church is a converted shop in the parade which ends at the Brook Advisory Centre (mre or less opposite Brixton Police Station).

The service at the Rainbow (actually a twin as it were of Brixton academy in Finsbury Park) was much less flamboyant than the reviewer expected, with emphisis on prayer for prosperity and "traditional values" male/female couples.

Ship of Fools: The Mystery Worshipper

19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Not exactly "churches" - would cater to mosques, temples etc as well but I got wind that there is a Quiz Night on Monday being run by Faiths Together in Lambeth. Technically there was an Eventbrite RSVP, so not sure if it's oversubscribed. Details below:

To celebrate Interfaith week (12th- 19th November), the charity Faiths Together in Lambeth is delighted to invite you to its first ever Quiz Night: “A Question of unity”. The Quiz will take place on Monday 13th November at the Karibu Centre in Brixton.

What?
    The Quiz night (7.15-8pm)
    . The quiz will focus on what makes Lambeth a great place to live and work—a lovely way to find out more about your community. No previous knowledge required; we promise the questions will be easy!
    Time to get to know each other (8-8.30pm). The quiz will be followed by some informal networking time, to learn from each other and discuss what unity means for us and how we can be more united as a community.
    Food. A hot vegetarian and fish buffet will be provided to make sure your energy levels remain high!
    Who?The quiz will be fun and accessible, with children and young people welcome (all under 18s must be accompanied by a responsible adult).

The event is free to attend but make sure you book your ticket early to avoid disappointment- we only have a limited number of spaces available!

Since it's just down the road I might pop in to see what's happening.

Winot likes this.