1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Churches in Brixton...

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by MsEyeson, Jul 6, 2013.

1. MsEyeson

MsEyeson Member

Hi there!
    Looking to move to the area soon & was wondering if there were any church goers here? Or if anyone could recommended a nice church to go to!?

Thanks.

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

What type of church?

Brixton has loads

Greebo likes this.
  3. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Greebo likes this.
  4. tallulahj

tallulahj I'm in the band, I play the strumpet

What flavour church? There are quite a few of various denominations. I'm not religious myself but I can ask for recommendations if you like?

Greebo likes this.
  5. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Prayer Camp above the Fish Bargain Warehouse on Acre Lane has always tempted me.

Even speaking as an Atheist it has a spiritual aura about it that draws me there.

6. Minnie_the_Minx

7. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I'm utterly ashamed not to have noticed this as I usually pride myself in keeping up with all the latest church news. :(

8. Minnie_the_Minx

I hope you pray for forgiveness tonight and attend church tomorrow to confess your sins

quimcunx likes this.
  9. Minnie_the_Minx

You've quoted my Brixton Water Lane when I meant Waterworks Road :oops:

10. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Maybe you should slip in a few prayers for yourself, minnie.

11. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

From the few church-going folk I know, what I have gathered is that the New Park Road church has a very nice little community, I've also met some nice people from the church that serves the Holy Trinity School on Upper Tulse Hill and the church attached to Corpus Christi is where you go if you need to get your kids into Catholic school.

leanderman likes this.
  12. Minnie_the_Minx

He never listens to me :(:D

13. MsEyeson

MsEyeson Member

Thanks for the link! Looking for a nice vibrant Christian Church - I'm 25 so would love to have a mix of young professional people as well.

14. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

You might try St. Matthews (middle of one-way system) or St. Paul's (Ferndale Rd).

Haven't been for a few years (for historical reasons I go to church in north London) so not sure of the current scene. Suspect you won't find *that* many young professional people anywhere other than the big central churches (St. Helen's Bishopgate etc.). I'd really recommend getting involved in a local church though - it offers a rare opportunity (when you are on your 20s) to get to know people from the local communities *outside* one's usual crowd (people like us).

frogwoman likes this.
  15. Minnie_the_Minx

Catholic, Protestant, happy clappy type?

Greebo likes this.
  16. mxh

mxh Well-Known Member

Why would they have to be professional?

Greebo likes this.
  17. Minnie_the_Minx

25-year-old office workers/hospitality staff/building workers would probably have nothing in common with her?

Maybe young professionals have more professional sounding names :hmm: :D

My name's Chardonnay so she won't want to come to my church :(

Greebo likes this.
  18. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

It's a Christian thing. You will recall that Jesus handpicked his disciples from the professional classes.

19. Minnie_the_Minx

Yeah, but Jesus was only a chippy

Greebo and shygirl like this.
  20. mxh

mxh Well-Known Member

A proper chippy without power tools.

willowmoon and Greebo like this.
  21. Minnie_the_Minx

True, although I don't here of anyone in the bible raving about what a great chippy he was or what his prices were like. He could have been a crap chippy for all we know

Whagwan, tallulahj and Greebo like this.
  22. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Isn't the one in Waterworks Road the New Covenant Church? This is a large Nigerian "holiness" denomination - big on tithing, high achieving church leaders (computer programmers, solicitors etc with nice motors). Not pentecostal as such. Obviously a good one if MsEyeson is seeking high achieving predominantly Yoruba young professional people (and was prepared to pay the 10% tithe for the privilege).
    My own recent experience is limited to my nearest Anglican (C of E) churches, which self-describe as "Liberal Catholic". My parish church - St John's Angell Wiltshire Road has a Bajan woman priest and largely Nigerian congregation. I feel a bit out of place there mainly because everything is so family and school oriented. Services are very well done - sometimes involving South African style call and response liturgy from the choir - and incense is used for special occasions. The stipendiary assistant priest preaches an excellent sermon.
    My other nearby church - St Matthews Lilford Road has a Kenyan (male) priest, who is also chaplain of Kings College Hospital. St Matthews uses sanctuary bells (a nice touch in terms of ritual).
    Of Church of England churches describing themselves as "Christian" (which MsEyeson stipulated) or evangelical, St Pauls Ferndale Road has already been mentioned. The others would be Christ Church Brixton Road, Holy Trinity, Trinty Rise (the Archbishop of York Dr Sentamu was vicar there 20 years ago), and St Saviours Herne Hill Road.
    You are right about the council list being out of date by the way - most of the CofE vicars seem to have changed - in the case of my parish church the change was at least 8 years ago.

Winot likes this.
  23. Minnie_the_Minx

You almost made me choke on my Digestive there!

There used to be a priest at King's College called Father Luke. My friend who had psychosis had a discussion about UFOs with him :D

Greebo and CH1 like this.
  24. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I expect they were all too busy admiring the walking on water and enjoying the old turning water into wine to really care about the quality of his sanding work....

Minnie_the_Minx likes this.
  25. Minnie_the_Minx

You'd think someone, knowing how famous he was going to be, would have saved a bit of his work. Work becomes more expensive once the artist's died, so you'd think someone would be flogging one of his tables on ebay or something by now

kittyP, Greebo and gaijingirl like this.
  26. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

anyone who can cut and hang a new door will perform other miracles with ease

Greebo and Manter like this.
  27. Minnie_the_Minx

Is there any proof he cut and hung new doors though? Maybe he just made tables and chairs for the local pub. Local publican may have taught him the turning water into wine trick

Greebo and leanderman like this.
  28. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I felt strangely moved watching the exposure of Archbishop Gilbert Deya yet again on the BBC London news this evening (details in this Daily Mail article The 'Archbishop of Peckham' and a scam that would make Del Boy blush)

This guy started his ministerial career hiring the 336 Conference Centre at 336 Brixton Road on Sundays. When he left (owing three months rent) he stole all the conference chairs (talking 1994 here).

More recently he has been accused of stealing slum babies in Nairobi so that infertile members of his congregation can have "miracle births"

Now it is £1.99 Aldi olive oil he sells to cure cancer.

People like this are genuine psychopaths who ought to be dealt with. Sectioned, deported - whatever.

Unfortunately Archbishop Gilbert Deya - who holds dual UK Kenyan nationality - is not alone. We have another Kenyan miracle Bishop - Bishop Urungu Climate, who regularly leaflets Coldharbour Lane (including the doctor's surgery) touting for business. Bishop Climate actually boasts a conviction for GBH and to have "turned his life round" in prison.

Now I am actually well disposed towards people of faith, and am a liberal C of E member, albeit not a regular attender.

But it does annoy me that people's superstition and gullibility, depression etc are taken advantage of by wretches like this for financial gain.

I think we urgently need a French-style religious regulator to clamp down on this type of abuse.

Sample from the leaflet: "I was blind in my right eye for the past 4 years. But after the man of God spat in my eye during the Miracle Crusade I could see again."
    Bishop Climate-F.jpg
    Bishop Climate-R.jpg
    Bishop Climate-cf.jpg

29. artyfarty

artyfarty A shed on a ditch.

Why not come to Hackney? The church over the road from me promises to cure infertility in women!?!, make you wealthier and cure infidelity (this one's not gender specific), all on the same banner. Surely it doesn't get better than that!

CH1 likes this.
  30. BandWagon

BandWagon Life's a bitch and then you die...

That Kingdom Church thing has pretty good marketing for the gullible, should do well. :thumbs:

24 Hour Prayer Helpline, way to go.

CH1 likes this.