Chuka Umunna rules out serving in Corbyn's shadow cabinet

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Sep 12, 2015.

1. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

You had to actually turn up to vote so I'd expect the apparatchiks to be able to get their people out whereas it's much harder to get the new members who aren't engaged to come along. 373 votes were cast at the vote, I'd guess there will be more like 2 or 3000 members all told. Really, if you want to engage them, I'd do it by online voting as for the NEC etc.

Gramsci likes this.
  2. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

The new members who aren't engaged's hatred doesn't count for shit if they won't turn up and vote though.

3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

New members who joined after Corbyn became leader haven't been welcomed by Lambeth Labour. Ive heard from people who rejoined after Corbyn ( lapsed membership after Iraq. The final straw).

As Tricky Skills found the New Labour old guard scrutinise whose joining.

Ive heard in Chuka seat its been hard for new members to get issues discussed. The old guard still control apparatus.

So not surprising if New people don't turn up. They aren't welcome in Lambeth Labour.

New Labour / Progress are a highly successful tightly run group within the Labour party.

Corbyn has faced hostility from the start. Its not Corbyn personally its what he represents. Not all the people I know who joined after Corbyn are enthusiastic supporters of him. They saw it was Labour party hopefully returning to its roots as left of centre party.

New Labour are on a different planet to the new inclux of young people and ex Labour party members rejoining.

The New Labour strategy is to be unwelcoming to new members and try in any way to get rid of Corbyn. Anti Semitism for example. The cheek of it when the New Labour administration won't take seriously accusations of institutional racism in Lambeth Council related to how black employees are treated.

4. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

And now he's quit Labour

5. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

He was speaking at a unusually high number of voluntary sector events in the last month - somehow shoehorned into any particular agenda - and was practicing his 15 min pitch.

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

sales of my tiny violins have never been so rapid

moochedit, Gramsci and BusLanes like this.
  7. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

And I'm overjoyed to find a politician with integrity who represents his constituency. He keeps my vote

BusLanes likes this.
  8. Gramsci

What integrity?

He got the seat on basis be was to the left of Steve Reed.

Since being elected be has moved to the right.

9. Gramsci

Some of my posts from the politics boards Chuka thread:

Chuka unlike Kate Hoey does not stand up to Lambeth Council on behalf of constituents. He has never really opposed the Council "regeneration" scheme for Cressingham Gardens ( a well loved Council Estate).

Hoey has a lot of personal support, despite her being Brexit supporter, due to taking on the New Labour run Lambeth Council.

Chuka was originally seen as a poster boy for post Blairite Labour. Being member of Compass and opposing Iraq War.

Iraq led a lot of Labour party members to not renew membership.

He gradually moved to the right once elected. So never criticises Lambeth Council.

He was a rising star destined for higher things then Corbyn got elected. I remember one of my local Cllrs telling me how wonderful be was.

He has been having problems with his local constituency membership with the influx after Corbyn. ( old Labour returning and young people). recently argument about procedure of who has say in local constituency party. He did have a firm hold on the constituency party but this was under threat.

Friend said the New Labour lot ( young work in communications) would sit on one side of room at local party meetings and the old Labour plus young new members would sit on other side.

So I wouldn't say he is as popular as he was.

If he did stand in by election I reckon my friend and others in the local party would be all out canvassing for the official Labour candidate.

10. Gramsci

Umunna supporters: “he’ll leave and start own party if CLP votes AMM”. No denial.

11. Gramsci

Chuka on Radio four.

Roughly what he said

Both main parties are broken. British people deserve better

Three main issues:

1 Stay in EU

2 Moral Dilemma of staying in party which if in power would have national security run by Corbyn

3 Culture of party. Visceral hatred of people with other views/ anti-Semitism

. Beyond Corbyn. About Broken politics. Tory and Labour. Tory party has been UKIPised.

Inviting anyone. Would include Tories.

Broken politics. Existing parties the problem.

People feel politically homeless. Alternative movement to the establishment.

12. Gramsci

Chuka unlike Kate Hoey does not stand up to Lambeth Council on behalf of constituents. He has never really opposed the Council "regeneration" scheme for Cressingham Gardens ( a well loved Council Estate).

Hoey has a lot of personal support, despite her being Brexit supporter, due to taking on the New Labour run Lambeth Council.

Chuka was originally seen as a poster boy for post Blairite Labour. Being member of Compass and opposing Iraq War.

Iraq led a lot of Labour party members to not renew membership.

He gradually moved to the right once elected. So never criticises Lambeth Council.

He was a rising star destined for higher things then Corbyn got elected. I remember one of my local Cllrs telling me how wonderful be was.

He has been having problems with his local constituency membership with the influx after Corbyn. ( old Labour returning and young people). recently argument about procedure of who has say in local constituency party. He did have a firm hold on the constituency party but this was under threat.

Friend said the New Labour lot ( young work in communications) would sit on one side of room at local party meetings and the old Labour plus young new members would sit on other side.

So I wouldn't say he is as popular as he was.

If he did stand in by election I reckon my friend and others in the local party would be all out canvassing for the official Labour candidate.

13. Gramsci

Those of us in Lambeth will remember Steve as the Blairite leader of Lambeth Council. He was genuine believer of the Third Way and set up the "Cooperative Council" idea.

When the Streatham constituency came up he tried to get chosen for the seat.

It appeared to be his for the taking as successful leader of the Council. The local party went for Chuka. Then seen as left alternative to a Blairite Steve Reed. Local party membership were becoming tired of Blairism.

Understandably Reed wasn't happy.

And:

Reed unlke Chuka is Labour and will stay Labour. He worked his way up the hard way through local politics. Not as charismatic as Chuka but a hard worker for the party.

Croydon Labour MP Reed is quick to reject Umunna’s splitters

Croydon Labour MP Reed is quick to reject Umunna’s splitters