ChromeCast

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by RedDragon, Jul 24, 2013.

1. RedDragon

RedDragon "I am not one of your fans!"

What's all this about, being launched now at a Google press announcement Looks rather interesting

2. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

It's a dongle:

[​IMG]

It costing $35 seems to be the biggest deal being made about it.

stuff_it likes this.
  3. Kid_Eternity

And the obligatory 'Look how this product will complete your life' video:

4. RedDragon

The seem to have taken onboard the criticism surrounding the Q-Tip ball they tried to launch a couple of years ago.

This little dongle has a much more open interface (including iOS) and a third of the cost of an Appple tv or Roco it's going to be the go to device for most users.

UnderAnOpenSky and Kid_Eternity like this.
  5. Kid_Eternity

Agreed on all points. Be interesting to see how it does when it's released in the UK and what Apple has up its sleeve when it comes to TV...

6. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

I'm guessing at that price it may well be quite popular.

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  7. RedDragon

What I like most is it's not going to be that big a deal when you leave in a hotel or plugged into a telly you were giving a presentation on. :D

stuff_it likes this.
  8. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

I think there will also be a huge market with younger people.

9. Kid_Eternity

Yup, YouTube being a big factor here.

10. Kid_Eternity

Yeah can deffo see this being awesome if all your mates have it, means anyone could rock up and play whatever films they have on their devices at anyone's house...

11. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

And their several other attempts at what used to be called 'set top boxes' that failed mostly due to silly prices.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd buy one.

13. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I quite fancy the idea, but I'm wondering what I'd actually use it for. The most appealing idea so far is that people could connect when they come round and play their tunes.

Edit: Scratch that idea. I don't have the TV connected to the amp. :hmm:

14. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

A potential advantage of this device is that at least with certain apps, it streams the chosen video from the internet rather from your device. So your phone or tablet is just acting as a remote rather than using up lots of its power to send the video to the ChromeCast.

I do find the video somewhat misleading for making it look like you don't need to supply power to the dongle via usb.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  15. UnderAnOpenSky

Does anyone know if it would be able to stream from a local machine? If so it could be more couch friendly then using my PC. :)

16. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

You can send from Chrome to it. So the devilish detail will come from what Chrome Apps are made available, whether they support media thats stored on your computer as opposed to the net, and what formats they support.

Here are a list of formats:

All Google Cast devices at a minimum support the following media types:
    • Video codecs: h.264, VP8
    • Audio decoding: HE-AAC, LC-AAC, CELT/OPUS, MP3
    • Containers: MP4/CENC, WebM, MPEG-DASH, SmoothStreaming
    • Level 1 DRM support: Widevine, Playready

17. UnderAnOpenSky

Thanks. :)

If the apps are there to make this a decent media streamer, controlled by your phone, then that could be a winner.

18. Kid_Eternity

Yep, even with the slightly unwieldy way you have to power it (more cables, bleaurgh) it's a pretty decent solution. Reckon we're going to see more of this type of thing which will make content consumption VERY interesting indeed as a market!

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Bit more info here:

BoxRoom and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  20. RedDragon

So essentially you're pushing a Chrome Tab content towards your telly while still being able to browse in another Tab looking for the next thing to Q, neat.

Hilarious, a USB stick has overshadowed the N7 & Jelly Bean update. :D

21. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Sounds good. If you can just stream avi's and MKV's etc stored locally on your PC/Mac then thats a massive bonus. Apple TV works well but only from within iTunes and mp4 format.

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  22. Kid_Eternity

Chromecast vs Apple's Airplay

[​IMG]

23. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

As per the media formats I posted earlier, and the general trend over recent years, I would tend to forget all about .avi and .mkv support. The stick is basically running Chrome, and both Chrome and Google in generals support for certain formats is well established.

24. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

That comparison chart is somewhat misleading. It's too early to say which 3rd party apps will support it given time. It's too early to predict what other 3rd party hardware may get to join in the fun, especially as Google hinted today at this stuff being part of other devices going forwards. And the platform claim of 'OS X' for airplay is also misleading since it only applies to OS X on certain hardware.

editor and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  25. mack

mack Fact Me Till I Fart

Jailbreak that mother and stick XBMC on it!

26. skyscraper101

Can't...it's 3rd Gen.

27. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

I'm getting it too

28. Kid_Eternity

I'm very interested in it but going to wait to see how others companies react, have a feeling this is just the beginning of this market...not its maturity with this product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

29. skyscraper101

So this 'mirroring' within the chrome browser... is it actual 'push' mirroring, or is it just pulling the same content as you command from your device? Because, say if I was streaming iplayer fro within Chrome, I'd want to know it is pushing that content and not attempting to pull it and then popping up a message saying 'iplayer is only supported on PCs and Macs with compatible flash etc etc'

Unless its actually pushing this content over the wifi it's a bit of a meh from me. But then I already have an apple TV so its not bringing much new to the table. And I'm not at all a fan of Google Play Music which is extremely slow and buggy, and the Play Movie Store... well I haven't used that, but, like iTunes its a walled garden thing where they want you to invest in their 'store' at the exclusion of all others. I'm not sure its matured enough yet to be taking the plunge.

If you watch a lot of youtube and netflix and dont already have a smart tv in some way then this is a great affordable way to get these two things but it needs other stuff to make it really good. Some more streaming content, like iPlayer or Sky News (which Apple TV now has) or miracast (what happened to that?) to push content straight from your pc/mac/tablet onto the TV.

30. Kid_Eternity

Seen some comparison shots of Netflix running on it vs Apple TV and have to say not impressive...