Chromebooks - latest news and discussion

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Dec 30, 2013.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

I've actually got two: the tiny Asus Flip 10.1" which is the one I take on tour/holiday and DJ with, and the slightly bigger C302 which I use for my writing work.

2. ash

ash Inittogether

Ah thanks - I might need to invest in the bigger one for work at some point I will have a look.

3. editor

editor hiraethified

I can type just fine on the small one but the backlit keys are bloody ace.

Badgers and Throbbing Angel like this.
  4. ash

ash Inittogether

Will have a look- Cheers

Badgers likes this.
  5. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

6. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Gabba Gabba-pentin

Pickman's model and Badgers like this.
  7. Sir Belchalot

Sir Belchalot arenicola marina

Badgers likes this.
  8. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Gabba Gabba-pentin

Pickman's model and Badgers like this.
  9. editor

editor hiraethified

10. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Better than current one tbf

11. editor

editor hiraethified

12. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

13. editor

editor hiraethified

14. editor

editor hiraethified

15. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Finally got round to setting up my new Chromebook which is shiny and fast :cool:

Couple of questions...

I had been plugging in an old Dell (VGA connection) monitor into my old Chromebooks HDMI port but the new one does not have said port. So I got a VGA to USB adaptor which I don't think is working. Either that I need some drivers or something :hmm: am a bit lost here and really need two screens for work.

Also is there any software that I can call (via an Android mobile?) from the desktop with a Bluetooth headset?

Pickman's model likes this.
  16. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

USB -> VGA (analogue monitor standard) is not a standard connection, so that cable relies on software to send the right signals. No such software exists for Chrome OS. It also doesn't look like your chromebook has Displayport (the digital monitor standard) on any of its USB sockets, so I'm afraid you're basically screwed wrt monitor support.

17. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

FFS but cheers

18. editor

editor hiraethified

According to the specs on the site he linked to:
    Video connections DisplayPort x 2

Edit: more here Ideapad S340 Can't Connect to 2 External Monitors? - Lenovo Community

Solution:
    Maybe see if you can take the Chromebook back and get one that can definitely support 2 monitors?

Badgers likes this.
  19. Crispy

Hmm.
    The Curry's site is the only one I can find that says this model has Displayport.
    Photos of the connectors show no D symbol for Displayport.
    There are some "USB C - HDMI" adpaters on amazon that say they support Chrome OS which might be worth a punt?

editor likes this.
  20. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

It seems daft that a device would not have a display port in this age, which is what is making me think I am doing this wrong.

It charges via USB C so I could get another adaptor I suppose.

Curry's is some distance away :facepalm: guess I can call them and hope to get lucky

21. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

USB-C, if it's proper USB 3.1 Gen2 PlusPlusRamalamadingdong or whatever the standard is, should be able to break out into a display port or HDMI or DVI (interesting note, HDMI was originally just DVI plus audio and content management - the video feed is 100% compatible). I've got a Dell here running two displays and other things and the only thing that's plugged into it is a single USB-C connector.

Badgers likes this.
  22. Crispy

spec sheet for this model says USB 3.1 Gen1, which doesn't support displayport

USB C is super confusing, so never say never, but my hopes are not high

23. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Appreciate your time on this chaps.

Annoying as I would assume any half decent machine would include this as a standard in this streaming age.

24. editor

editor hiraethified