Chromebooks - latest news and discussion

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Dec 30, 2013.

1. greenfield

greenfield Former lurker

The Asus looks stunning

editor likes this.
  2. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Also had an awful review too...

3. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Well this looks rather lovely

4. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Gabba Gabba-pentin

5. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Nice, I've got the the old model + still use it daily, take it all over and it has held up very well. It's had a few years of being taken all over and other then a crack on the screen (my fault for shutting a pen in it) it is in perfect condition and still gets comments on how small and nicely formed it is. Holds its own speed wise too. This looks like it's just a refresh in the same mould of thinking so I'll definitely consider it as a replacement.

Throbbing Angel and editor like this.
  6. editor

7. editor

Instant tethering ahoy!

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  8. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

9. editor

I didn't know some of these -

8 Useful Chrome OS Touchpad Gestures
    Scroll: Place two fingers anywhere on the touchpad and move them up and down to scroll vertically. To scroll horizontally, move two fingers left and right. Note, your page will scroll the direction your fingers are moving, unlike on Windows 10, which uses inverted scrolling.

Zoom: Place two fingers on the touchpad and move them closer and further away from each other to zoom in and out.

Right-click: Tap two fingers on the touchpad or place two fingers on the surface and click.
    [​IMG]

Back/forward page: To go back to a previous page, swipe to the left with two fingers. To go forward a page, swipe to the right with two fingers.

[​IMG]
    View all windows:
    Swipe up or down with three fingers.

[​IMG]
    Open link in a new tab:
    Hover over a link and tap with three fingers.

Switch between tabs: Swipe left and right with three fingers.

Close tab: Instead of selecting the "X," you can close a tab by hovering over it and tapping the touchpad with three fingers.

Chrome OS Touchpad Settings
    To change your touchpad settings, select the circular icon in the bottom-left corner and search for "Settings." Once you've opened the settings menu, use the search bar or scroll down and press on "Touchpad."

On the next page, you'll be able to enable or disable tap-to-click and tap dragging. You can also select from five different cursor speeds and change to Australian, or inverted, scrolling (a la Windows 10).

Chromebook Touchpad Gestures: How to Navigate Chrome OS Like a Pro

Janh, Ron Merlin and Throbbing Angel like this.
  10. editor

11. Throbbing Angel

my Chromebook has been displaying a weird recently.

I'll be doing something in one tab/window and it'll just to another open instance of Chrome. No idea why.

I generally have a few instance of Chrome open with a few tabs on each. I also have things on my shelf set to 'open in window', such as Gmail and WhatsApp for example (plus others) and I may have one or two of them open too. I'm running an ASUS Chromebook C302ca, Intel Core M3, 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, 12.5"

I've closed off all my extensions and will reintroduce them one by one but wondered if anyone else had seen similar.

...And... I have/had Adblock, Adblock Plus, Ghostery Privacy Badger and NordVPN installed. Too much?

I generally don't have Nord running at home - just when out and about - but all the others and some other extensions running. Any thoughts?

12. Throbbing Angel

Right - more weirdness - is this the thread to ask? I ask due to the dearth of replies last time (post above).

After the weirdness in the post above I did a powerwash and reset everything. All good until yesterday.
    The strange behaviour described above stopped after the powerwash - yesterday I saw the top inch or so of the browser webpage stop responding. By this I mean that I am unable to click on any links in that top inch or so of the page. I can get around this by using CTRL & + to increase the zoom on the webpage - this takes the links down the page a bit as they enlarge but, as I am sure you can imagine, this is a right royal pain in the butt.

Also if the mouse pointer is in that area, none of the touchpad gestures work.
    I have disabled all extensions and apps and this has made no difference.
    I can list extensions and apps etc. if any of you think that'd be of use.

Any ideas?

I'm currently trying to force a complete sync of bookmarks, extensions etc. before I perform another powerwash. I'm considering setting up a new Gmail account just to test if there is summat amiss with my account - can't think what, though.

Help?