Chromebooks - latest news and discussion

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Dec 30, 2013.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Looks like maybe Google got the Chromebook idea right after all, with sales of Chromebooks going through the roof this year.

[​IMG]

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...oks-in-commercial-sector-as-ipad-loses-ground

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Looks like the Chromebook sales are still rising, according to Amazon (US) too:
    I think I'm going to take another look at these things. This looks a bargain for £229.

[​IMG]

3. RedDragon

RedDragon "I am not one of your fans!"

Out sells MacBook 5 2 1, well colour me surprised. :D

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  4. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Rising market share in a dying tech sector isn't what I'd call success.

5. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Its hardly a dying tech sector since that first article includes tablets, and its far from clear that laptops can be described as dying in the longer-term. Sustained diversity of form-factors and platforms seems more likely to me.

I'm glad the Chromebook has some legs at this point, although in some ways its an indication that hybrid tablet-laptops have been slow to hit the right price-point and actually achieve the 'best of both worlds'.

salem likes this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Indeed. You really would have to be some sort of deluded fanboy of the highest order to describe a massive jump in sales for a new category of 400k units to 1.76 million in 11 months nothing other than a success.

7. Bonfirelight

Bonfirelight Crocodile

I have never actually seen or heard of anyone having one in the wild..
    Looking at that, I also can't believe they are outselling android tablets, given they seem to be so ubiquitous nowadays.

8. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

The figures in the first article are for the commercial sector, i.e. sales to businesses. With that in mind its not surprising that its done better than android tablets, which haven't taken the business world by storm yet, and where tablets in general have been adopted at a more cautious rate than has been the case for home users. Additionally much of Androids success, especially until relatively recently, has been globally, with the US showing a stronger Apple etc bias, and the figures in the article are just for the US.

toggle likes this.
  9. Bonfirelight

Bonfirelight Crocodile

gotcha.
    So the story is really, Chromebooks (and android tablets by the look of their %age increase) have eaten into the US notebook market, taking sales from Microsoft and Apple.

good for them. still never seen anyone with one over here though, in business or otherwise

10. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

Surprised how low the android tablets were

11. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

Yeah, I thought that Android would be outselling OSX by now in the tablet market. Apple are, to use a completely inaccurate comparison, an also-ran in the phone market these days but i guess their crumbling market share hasn't spread to tablets as fast.

12. zenie

zenie >^^<

Quite a few kids have them to do schoolwork on.

13. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

It's been a slower decline, and for a long time I had to take the various research reports with a pinch of salt due to not having actual sales figures from all the manufacturers. However in hindsight it does seem most likely that from somewhere around the second half of 2012, Apples share of the total tablet market dipped below 50% and/or was overtaken by Android as a whole. No single competing product got sales that approach iPad levels, nor did a single manufacturer overtake Apple, although Samsung are apparently closest to pulling that off. Apple will probably have a slight bounce-back for the quarter where new iPads came out, but I doubt it will make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Funnily enough, a friend of mine in Cardiff was telling me that he was going to buy one for his 14 yr old daughter - said it was perfect for her school needs at a fantastic price.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a bigger deal than you might expect too, because Apple laptops are everywhere in America.

16. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

By my reading of that, Google have overtaken Apple in terms of the number of devices sold with their operating systems, between Chrome and Android.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Android have been outselling Apple tablets for some time.

18. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

Thats what I thought ....so what's with the graph...?

19. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Oh joy: Google dominates yet another aspect of the market. Too bad the old but effective Anti-Combines legislation seems to have lost its bite with the passage of time.

20. ovaltina

ovaltina Well-Known Member

I got my Samsung in the summer so I could do a writing project in the park while walking the dogs. I wasn't expecting to use it for much except writing but it's so quick compared to my old PC and work Apple Mac, I use it all the time.
    I can understand it being good for schools, because there's no software or viruses on it that could go wrong. Less hassle and cost for the school. The same goes for older people. I'm planning to get one for my mum.
    I think Google is the only company that could have made a viable thin client consumer - focused computer like the chromebook. Ms has a lot to lose if it takes market share from Windows & office.

21. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I'm astonished that more Windows tablets sold than Apple laptops, which lost 1/3 of their sales over the two periods.

22. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Still a long way from dominating laptop sales.

23. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Jesus Christ could we have a fucking rest from OS/tech companies wars it's a fucking new year,how about giving it a miss until 2015?

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Windows tablets are pretty good products. The new Asus Transformer Book is likely to prove a winner too,

25. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

no doubt, and this is US corporate rather than UK street, but as yet no-one has even so much as mentioned them to me, and the internet conversation I've seen has been very muted, nor have I noticed anyone using one. W8, by contrast has been much discussed and much derided, which presumably accounts for the drop in sales of Windows laptops (& desktops), so people picking up a W8 tablet and running with it is, tmm, surprising.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The biggest selling laptops on Amazon over this year were:

1. Samsung Chromebook
    2. ASUS Transformer Book (Windows)
    3. Acer Chromebook

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/googles-chromebooks-top-amazon-christmas-best-seller-list-again-1430498

27. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

whatnow?

Yata and editor like this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

29. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

My dad's been asking about laptops. If he were skinter I might point him in this direction. But for an extra hundred I'd probably point him at the asus transformer windows machine or lenovo from the budget laptop threads.

30. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

i finally saw a Chromebook in the wild the over day. i used it to order a pizza. it's trackpad infuriated me. this concludes my review of the Chromebook.

fractionMan likes this.