Christiano Ronaldo arrested on allegation of rape

Discussion in 'football' started by Leo JP, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

Because at least two posters response to hearing that a woman has reported being raped has been to assume that she is lying and in one case to call her a tart. That's stomach churning misogyny.

2. Jo/Joe

Jo/Joe New Member

The language could be much better. Unfortunately people open themselves up to these accusations once the press is involved.

3. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I think Nigel needs to understand how these girls operate; kids/young men earning £50,000 a week are targets, not people.

The 'real' world it really, really, ain't,

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I agree. Nothing's been proved yet his name's all over the papers and linked with being a rapist.

5. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

If for rape, why not murder? OR GBH, or..etc etc.

The problem with that is that it, apparently, impedes the hunt for evidence. Womens groups often make the case that it is sometimes only through a rapists name being released that other women come forward and are prepared to make a statement about him having attacked them as well.

So such a move would lead to more rapists being found not guilty, or not even charged.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Still doesn't seem right to me: an innocent bloke could have his life ruined if allegations of rape are plastered all over the paper before - it seems - even a scrap of evidence has been gathered and/or presented.

I dunno. I can see both sides, but imagine if you were being publicly accused for something you hadn't done?

7. Nigel Irritable

I think you and BCB need a crash course in basic humanity. Who are "these girls" precisely? Women who report that they have been raped?

8. WasGeri

WasGeri Banned Banned

No, women who make false accusations.

9. belboid

I know exactly what you mean. But it does happen with every other crime too, so I wouldn't be happy about making a special case for rape (tho I realise that it already is one, with the victim being able to keep her anonymity if desired). Of course, it is easier to make a completely false accusation of rape than of most other crimes.

10. belboid

you sure? London Calling's post read to me distinctly like it is accusing anyone who accuses a 'star' of rape of being a scheming money-grabber.

11. WasGeri

WasGeri Banned Banned

I'm not sure, no. I assumed that's what he meant.

12. jackpot

jackpot Banned Banned

The worst part of these false allegations is that it makes real cases ten times harder to prove. In cases where a woman is proven beyond reasonable doubt to have falsely accused a man of rape, then a custodial sentence should be passed. If you ask me.

13. Jayshat

Jayshat New Member

Hear hear Nige.

Jo and BCB are total ignorami in my opinion. Tarts, birds, these women...do you talk about your wives/girlfriends/sisters like that?

Until the story is investigated, how can you judge?

Some girls see footballers are easy targets, why?
    Some footballers - uneducated, common, thick, rich, ignorant, high sex-drives, would sleep with a dog.

14. Nigel Irritable

I have no idea about the facts of this case, anything is possible and like anyone else Ronaldo is innocent until proven guilty. I just find the sight of a couple of people with no more knowledge of the case than any of the rest of us falling over themselves to claim that a woman is lying or is a "tart" pretty grim.

One of the most famous books on British criminal law stated that rape "is an accusation easily to be made and hard to be proved, and harder to be defended by the party accused, tho never so innocent". That was written in 1678 though, so you might be forgiven to have expected some improvement in social attitudes over the years. Rape is not an accusation easily made. Most rape victims don't ever report that they have been attacked in part because of viciously unpleasant social attitudes. That includes amongst other things the idea that there are loads of women out there lying about the fact that they have been raped.

15. WasGeri

WasGeri Banned Banned

And there you prove yourself to be as bad as the people you are criticising!

16. London_Calling

I'm specifially talking about a culture in the West End of London in which footballers are targeted by young women.

It's parading around hotels bars in your underwear, it's bribing doormen with blow jobs, it's breaking into a clique of girls who can be 'trusted' by the friends and brothers of the young players . . . this time it went a little wrong, possibly because Ronaldo was away from home turf - that's often been the problem with northern-based players on the town in London after a match; the usual girls available for a roast or a quick post match fuck aren't around.

The people I do feel sorry for now are the thousands of women who's rape cases will be treated with a little more caution by the public (inc. jurors), because, in general, the public don't distinguish between the money-driven accusations about footballers in tabloids, and what happens in the real world.

17. Jayshat

Jayshat New Member

Well Geri, I think personally calling women tarts is a bit worse than calling a generic bunch of some footballers thick is a bit worse...we differ in opinion obviously.

18. Jo/Joe

Jo/Joe New Member

Excuse me? Care to qualify that? I think you need to read things a little more carefully before you call people ignorant. Kneejerking is a waste of everyone's time.

19. WasGeri

WasGeri Banned Banned

So when you accused them of sleeping with dogs, you meant actual canines I suppose.

20. Jayshat

Jayshat New Member

Geri, have you thought of not being so pedantic for once? I didn't actually say that, I suggested that some footballers have so little morals and brains, that they would sleep with anythng...

21. Jo/Joe

Jo/Joe New Member

And Geri asked you what you meant by dogs, the word you actually used.

22. London_Calling

23. Batboy

Batboy Trumpeting is good for you...

He is still an absolute tosspot though.

I fully understand that there are false and malicous allegations of rape and that footballers can be targets for the reasons you stated in this thread. But equally young girls can be targets for footballers to take up to their penthouse hotel room in the Dorchester for a bottle of champagne and a quick roasting.

Ronaldo admitted that they had sex and he is obviously into this crass culture of throwing shit loads of money around and utilising his status and wealth to get a fuck. He needs to grow up and behave more responsibly.

Hopefully this experience will make him and other overpaid footballers think twice about their lifestyle and the signals they send out to both impressionable and to the other extreme predatory females.

24. London_Calling

What was it he did wrong again,took a young woman back to his room for consensual sex before going out on the town with her ?

Shocking behaviour!

25. DRINK?

DRINK? bummed by karmachameleon

Good point, he may well be an idiot though has done nothing wrong, wonder how many other real victims will now never come forward thanks to the actions of this bint. Still think it people should not be named til found guilty either... know a lad whose life was ruined by similar :rolleyes:

26. Joe Reilly

Joe Reilly Well-Known Member

Ronaldo has never publicly said anything anyone about the allegations. It is evident the woman lied. She sold a story to the press. They printed it. Happy in the knowledge that tosspots like you will happily regurgitate it, accompanied by a finger-wagging morality that sounds more than a little like jealousy.

27. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

28. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

This thread could be an interesting insight into how attitudes have changed over the past 13 years.

Wonder which Ronaldo supporter (who actually knows fuck all about this case) who will be the first accused of being a 'rape apologist' (by some frother who, equally, has fuck all knowledge of the detail)?

29. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

frother

imposs1904 likes this.
  30. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

The passionate presumption that the woman* could not possibly be telling the truth, together with LC's fucking loathsome description of the young women that footballers choose to have sex with... really fucking disgusting.

False allegations of rape are - by every reasonable metric - no higher than false allegations of other serious crimes. The prosecution rate is undeniably, very low. In any given accusation of rape, the odds are extremely weighted towards the complainant telling the truth. Which doesn't mean that they always are, but to operate on the blanket assumption of it being a lie is illogical and agenda driven.

* not that the thread calls women "women". They are "girls" when being disrespected, of course.