1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christiania, Copenhagen, Denmark

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by Epicurus, Jan 25, 2005.

1. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Went there about 4 years ago, nice for a wander and found a good place to eat.
    The weed was good, bars were full 'cos it was so cold though the atmosphere was a bit mixed - half hippy types and half smacked out nutters.

I thought the army had finally overrun the place a couple of years ago, surprised to read it's still there. Remember seeing great photos in the bars of the barricades when the army tried to reclaim the place many years ago.

2. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I only went during the day, so only have that, and what someone said to go on. :p

copenhagen is nice. it has lots of ver de gris covered statues, which is a good thing. some of them look like they've had their eyes gouged out. :)

the little mermaid is shit though. we walked for ages to get to it (possibly all the way to Germany) and it was rubbish. they should make it look like the little mermaid from Disney or the models in the souvenir shops, and cover it in glitter. that would make it a bit better. :)

3. Boris Sprinkler

Boris Sprinkler Jizz Lasso

it's in the direction of Sweden as Copenhagen lies. Germany is the other way :p

It is shit though. Got covered in pink paint for a bit in the summer due to the Ungdomshuset protests. You would have preferred that I guess.

4. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Yes! :D

The Danes aren't so keen either, it's been vandalised a few times. Had it's head knocked off for starters.

We may have walked all the way round and back to Germany. Felt like it. Had it been pink it might not have seemed such a long walk.

5. HackneyE9

HackneyE9 Well-Known Member

Great bike shop, Christiania bikes, great gig venue and restaurant (loppen), great veggie cafe (can't remember name, but looks like hansel and grentel cottage), but last time I went (2004) definite downward vibe with all the attempts by the right-wing Danish govt to sell it off for property speculation - regulars police sweeps far more of a downer than any amount of 'tension' from the old pusher street.

Saw Mazzy Star perform there once, stoned out of my tree, after eating an amazing five -star dinner of reindeer! True.

6. Boris Sprinkler

Here's a couple of photo's of Christiania I took yesterday.

Lake.
    [​IMG]

Woodpile outside of the sauna.
    [​IMG]

New mural.
    [​IMG]

7. Boris Sprinkler

The cheese patrol
    [​IMG]
    You know the police are doing a raid when you hear cries of "Ost!" (cheese) coming in the distance. This is a good time to stash your gear.

Main entrance
    [​IMG]

Just up from pusher street.

And the other side of the sign.
    [​IMG]

8. Boris Sprinkler

Some hippie shit.
    [​IMG]

Loppen and Spiseloppen. Loppen means the flea. It's a pretty good venue for gigs. Recently I saw the twilight sad there. Above that is one of my favourite restaurants in town, Spiseloppen.
    [​IMG]

Another of the lake. In the background you can see the spire of Vor Frue Kirke. On the shoreline is the Christiania kindergarten/ school.
    [​IMG]

9. upsidedownwalrus

upsidedownwalrus RIP R.I.P.

cheers boris, good pics :cool:

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

11. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I was there last year. I liked the self-built houses by the lake.

Didn't like all the young men with their hoods up selling weed.

I mean, I live in Hackney which smells of weed for most of the year anyway and people who sell it here don't seem to turn it into a big performance, do they?

editor and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It seemed surprisingly soulless and nothing like what I was expecting. It was strange that there was no music being played anywhere on the site, so it was just people sitting about smoking dope (whoppee-do) and lurking dealers who appeared to exude unfriendliness unless you wanted to buy off them. It was also very male-heavy throughout, and my female companions felt a little uncomfortable and said they'd wouldn't feel particularly safe going there on their own. Maybe I was just there on a bad day.

13. How can it be anything else though? When an illegal activity like dealing drugs is tolerated by the authorities, the gangsters will move in to exploit it and it will all go to shit. Tbf I'm pretty impressed it lasted as a hippy ideal for as long as it did.

People used to talk about getting authorised sites to hold illegal raves on, 5 minutes' thought would lead you to the conclusion that it would be a very bad idea. Then the French government authorised two per year and they were pretty much instantly serious crime-fests.