1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christchurch Road - SW2

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Nanker Phelge, May 16, 2017.

1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

There's an awful lot of accidents on Christchurch Road around where Fenstanton school is, and they are often more than just bumper to bumper type stuff. Just last week there was a horrid head on collision between a car and people carrier, I've seen numerous cars flipped after hitting the traffic islands, and just today there was another small smash involving two cars...

I don't drive, so don't really understand what the problem is out there...

Is it just people going too fast?

2. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I think that instead of the pedestrian crossing, followed by the traffic island into High Trees, they should do a proper traffic light junction there. Allow people to get in and out of Hillside safely, allow people from High Trees to cross without having to dodge traffic, and break up the flow of the SCR. There are too many dicks who fly up the hill from Tulse Hill. I'm surprised it isn't worse, to be honest.

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  3. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

I think most problems on most roads in London is people going too fast / being too impatient.

Christchurch Road is part of the south circular, so lots of drivers treat it almost like a 60mph dual carriageway, esp. if they're making long journeys across London. But it also carries a lot of turning local traffic, so lots of potential for conflict. I'm a hardened London cyclist and I've cycled all my life, but that road is one of the few I go out of my way to avoid!

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  4. Brixton Hatter

In fact, aren't the council/TfL proposing to get rid of the Tulse Hill gyratory?

Can't remember exact details but a bit of traffic calming around there would do a world of good.

5. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

that's what god invented Palace Rd for.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  6. Brixton Hatter

Absolutely. A decent cycling hill in many ways. Good surface, not too steep, filtered at one end, batter it down the hill on the way home :cool:

7. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

not so sure about that, my legs certainly feel it going up. I s'pose that's good for me but..

/offtopic

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  8. Brixton Hatter

I've learnt to love hills on the bike. Just gotta keep working at it. It never gets easier, you just get faster. :)