1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chris Cornell has died

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Thimble Queen, May 18, 2017.

1. Smangus

Smangus comatose at a desk

Saw them in the Marquee club in the early nineties, up close real good. Shit news , RIP

Cheesypoof and 5t3IIa like this.
  2. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

Fucking absolutely gutted. More later :(

3. Voley

Voley The Prebendary Of Wetwang

4. Voley

Voley The Prebendary Of Wetwang

Quite shocked by this I must admit. Never a huge fan - I saw Soundgarden once and found them a bit dull tbh but I liked this one at the time:

5. izz

izz life's too short to be normal

Genuinely gutted, I was pleased when they got back together and was a-pondering finding out where they were touring. bum. :(

6. xenon

xenon ·≈0

This off my fave SG album. All the tracks on there were a real musical progression from standard grunge.

This is still good too of course.

7. Gerry1time

Gerry1time pities the neurotypical

He was even rated by Beavis and Butthead and Johnny Cash...

sorearm likes this.
  8. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

I could not believe it when I read the news earlier. Had the unpleasant task of being the one to break the news to my American beau. He and I met over a joint love of Pearl Jam so you can imagine the horror when we realised Eddie is about the only one left. Layne, Kurt, Scott, Andy Wood and now Chris too :( My rock drummer acquaintance has met them and he's told me some great stories about Chris as a performer and a person. I can't believe it looks just like suicide.

Miss Caphat, Cheesypoof and kittyP like this.
  9. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

Weird stuff coming out of the news about this..

may of been a stranglewank

:( great loss

10. S☼I

S☼I Comic sans routine

Mark Lanegan is still around.
    Not a fan of Soundgarden's but its very sad, and the guy had a bloody good voice.

Mogden likes this.
  11. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

Yes the video I was watching only a few days ago had the whole range from Screaming Trees to Soundgarden and everything in between pretty much. It was the trailer to promote the re-release of the Singles soundtrack, a soundtrack I loved, still love and have ordered a copy of the new release. I'm not sure if it will be released now given the big Cornell connection. He was front and centre in an interview about it.

And I bloody love that film!! I can quote great chunks of it. Eddie with "A compliment for us is a compliment for you" and Janet picking at her salad and "I think you've got the wrong number lady but I'll be right over."

marty21, sorearm and Ax^ like this.
  12. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Yes I thought of you when I saw this on the news this morning. :(
    Love to you Mogden

Really gutted. RIP CC. Jeeze. To have survived that era and go at 52 :(

sorearm, Ax^ and Mogden like this.
  13. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

could list tons of sound garden tunes

but a great band and a great talent of the vocalist

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    sorearm likes this.
  14. sorearm

sorearm wanna buy some pegs dave?

Genuinely shocked. grew up to soundgarden, discovered them from Louder than Love. Astonishing vocal range. Really underrated, unfortunately in nirvanas shadow.

Caught them on jools Holland by accident when broadcast, hadn't realised they were reforming. I was absolutely riveted watching them. just such musical magic going on there. ... so sad. RIP fella x

Ax^ likes this.
  15. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

Shocking news - I was wondering why RTE1 radio was playing Audioslave this morning! Brilliant singer with a dazzling vocal range. I saw Soundgarden live around 1995. Thing I always liked about them was they put a bit of funk into grunge, as well as starting it. Love the choppy chord changes in their songs that I'm sure are a dream for any guitarist.

My favourite song by them is Jesus Christ Pose - hadn't listened to them in a good 20 years until today :('

Ax^ likes this.
  16. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Loved that band. Tragic. I grew up with grunge.

ska invita and Ax^ like this.
  17. londonkid

londonkid Well-Known Member

18. Spod

Spod Well-Known Member

One of the very best (top 3) rock singers ever IMO. He could sing, scream and do tender. Great song-writer and performer. Good-looking bastard as well. Strangely I hope it was a auto-erotic asphyxiation gone wrong rather than suicide. How could someone with so much going for them leave us and his family. RIP Chris xx Untitled.jpg

19. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

My Singles soundtrack arrived. Beautiful! And poignant. And you get the band review they read from the paper. Especially sad the sleeve notes :( I have a feeling they'll be pulling this and rewriting that.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  21. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

22. flustercuck

flustercuck Spoonerist

He did the same with Robin Williams a couple of years ago too. I wouldn't call it opportunistic, I'd call it appropriate, rather than keeping it locked up as pay content behind his "older than 50 episodes " paywall.

Orang Utan likes this.
  23. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

24. Cheesypoof

Much love to you, Mogden, with Prince's passing, I know how you feel. I watched the Detroit concert earlier, and I don't agree with reports that he was on form. He seems behind the beat and sluggish. Still pretty good vocally cos he was that damn good....! Very painful to watch :('

25. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Having been in thrall to Ativan for a couple of years in the late '80s, I reckon it's entirely possible - it's horrible stuff, and why he was being prescribed that particular benzo for anxiety is something his prescriber should be questioned really hard about.

Cheesypoof likes this.
  26. Spod

Spod Well-Known Member

Must be nasty stuff. This just blows my mind. Talented, wealthy, respected with a young family. If Chris Cornell cant face life with that then god help the rest of us. Kurt I can understand, he obviously had demons and health problems but I did NOT see this coming. Still in denial.

27. Cheesypoof

After last week's horrible news, this old compilation made me smile....anyone else remember this?? :cool:

Spod likes this.
  28. Cheesypoof

Miss Caphat likes this.
  29. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Saw Soundgarden at Reading in 1995. I would've been 14 years old. Seemed like a golden time for music.

He was an interesting choice to do a Bond theme too, but it seemed to work well. Sad loss.

30. Spod

Spod Well-Known Member