1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choice of union

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by doodlelogic, Nov 28, 2017.

1. doodlelogic

doodlelogic arbitrary message here

so I’ve joined my first job where unions are recognised so am going to join one. Problem is there are two - one representing ‘shop floor’ staff and one representing senior management. My job sits kind of in between.

The colleagues at my level seem mostly to be in the ‘management’ union and I got an email on joining heavily hinting that one is the one the company would like me to join (cue instant scepticism).

The dues are more or less the same and the ‘shop floor’ union has some more useful concrete side benefits while the ‘management’ one offered ‘networking opportunities’. But when I spoke to a rep of the ‘shop floor’ union they said oh you’ll want to join the other one.

Anyone been in this situation?

2. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Which unions are they?

3. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

is one formally 'recognised' for your role? if so, that's probably going to be the better option.

if neither / both is, then dunno really. talk to people, do a bit more research?

see what the political / campaigning end of each is like and see which suits you better?

not all unions, for example, are affiliated to the labour party. you can opt out of the political fund if you want.

and as an aside, you can join a union if your workplace / job is not formally recognised. some unions are better than others at dealing with the modern / flexible (ha ha) employment world, though

4. doodlelogic

Can’t say as one would identify my employer.

All good suggestions thanks.

The recognition point seems to be a bit of a grey area for my role as it is a white collar role but non managerial and depending how you read it maybe they both have negotiating rights?

5. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

is one a 'staff association' sort of thing rather than an independent union?

muscovyduck and Rutita1 like this.
  6. doodlelogic

It’s technically an independent union but it only has members in this employer. The other one is properly independent, well apart from its Labour Party affiliation. :rolleyes:

Rutita1 likes this.
  7. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Unite then? :D

Sprocket. likes this.
  8. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

Join both. Cover your bases. :D

9. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Jive Miguel, he’s in from Bogotá...

That way if the affiliated union ballots, votes for and takes strike action and the association decides to cross the picket, you can beat yourself up!

10. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

We had a situation with a middle manager in our union, but with our staff representatives refusing to let him attend certain staff meetings due to talk of industrial action. We generally felt a bit bad for him, but were uncomfortable with having a boss there. He was not at all happy, and complained.

This may be something bearing in mind, if you join both. If you're in a more senior position with power over people I'm sure they'll still represent you but what about meetings etc?

doodlelogic likes this.
  11. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

How do pay negotiations work in your company, and does either union help in that regard?

12. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

i'm not sure being a member of two recognised unions works...

13. doodlelogic

Both unions have negotiate pay. One concentrates on the people above me and one concentrates on the people below me in the pay structure.

14. doodlelogic

I don't think joining both is an option.

Take your point though, even though I am only half way up the pay structure, and am no-one's line manager (and would join a union sanctioned strike). Maybe the "bosses union" is the one - I have a mate in it.