Chippenham v Dulwich 28 Sept

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Bugpowder Dust, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

No thread for todays match?

I made a very last minute to go to this, missed ko by a few minutes and feared the worst as the turnstile operator informed me we were already 1-0 down.

Still, Dulwich held their own and created quite a few chances, mainly through Monakana on the right. Quade took his equaliser with aplomb, rushing through to collect a through ball and striking a measured finish past the keeper into the bottom corner.

Nyren blazed over a couple of times and then a great save from Brewer ensured we went in level at the break.

Second half was entertaining, Chippenham making the most of our fragile defense (Smith and Orlu were in the middle today, with Quade in front and McCoy right back). Dulwich subs made an impact and the travelling rabble were sure the match was won when Ijaha composed himself in the box and smashed it home right on 90 mins.

Alas with the 4 mins of injury time come and gone the ref allowed one final Chippenham attack and a mix up between Nyren and Chapman allowed Chips to play it into the box and level with the last kick of the ball.

editor likes this.
  2. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Quade's goal was well taken as was Ijaha's .
    A real shame they just couldn't keep the ball for 4 mins. The defence could have cleared the box a few times but didn't and let in a own goal somehow. I bet the bus home was a tense one!

3. Well this is a first for a while for me. The defence has been a bedrock on which we’ve relied when our midfield has been found wanting.

Yesterday it seems the opposite, the decided to stay asleep until the first Chipnum goal and couldn’t manage out the last minute of time added on I don’t know what will happen should our keeper return to Charlton which I imagine is due soon. We over rely on him to get us out of trouble.

in fairness had we nicked that 2-1 it would have been a pick pocketing for sure and perhaps a draw was fair but when you concede the last kick it’s a choker.

Can someone please tell me why Dom Vose gets a game at This level? He is utterly ineffective and I truly worry we’ve nothing better in the squad.

thought both our goals were well taken and for me Clunis our standout player. He was everywhere.

I need more than just good home keeper banter ok my away trips.

4. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I agree if we'd won I would have said they were robbed of a draw. But we need to get them last minute wins against the run of play if they want to stay in this league.

Paul's Brother likes this.
  5. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Yesterday was his final match unless his loan is extended again. Given the comments by Gavin in last week's South London Press (about negotiating to terminate one or two players' contracts) I wonder whether Charlie Grainger might be released, with AMB retained for the season and Preston as back up?

6. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

Whilst I completely get why we would want to keep AMB for as long as possible (he’s the best one of the three), it seems a bit of a luxury to have 3 keepers at this level not to mention that we’re probably paying good money for all of them too. I’d be happy with any combination of 2 of them as they’re all more than capable at this level.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  7. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

I missed the warmups but Preston was in the stand watching. Will be interesting to see who starts in goal on Tuesday as I thought I read that Brewer has a national league team to go to next.

Gav wasnt there yesterday, not often the gaffer misses the match.

And agree with the comments on Vose, don't like to slag off our own players too much but there was a comedy moment yesterday when he tried to control the ball in the middle, ducked and it went straight over his head. A fitting metaphor, although he did have a shot near the end that looked goal bound but hit Mills on the way through

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  8. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

It'll certainly be a shame to see AMB go so that's disappointing news. Grainger had some shaky moments in pre-season but it's early days.

Chippenham weren't much to shout about but neither were we. The second half was entertaining but not through quality, it was mostly just chaos, and not helped by a referee who lost control of affairs. The messy late OG equaliser was very apt.

Quade Taylor took his goal superbly and we are crying out for more of that composure.

Understand Gav was at Rio's wedding.

Nivag likes this.
  9. editor

editor hiraethified

10. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

The highlights are ready