Chippenham Town v Dulwich Hamlet, Sat 6th April 2019 KO 3pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Jimbob73, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

So Saturday will be my longest ever trip for a Dulwich away game :thumbs:
    Who else is going?

2. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

For those driving down, I recommend getting off the M4 at Hungerford and driving down the A4 to 'Nam - it isn't quicker but it's a lovely drive :thumbs:

Jimbob73 and Nivag like this.
  3. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

I’m in. On a train from Paddington that departs at 11:30, arriving at 12:40 ish. Trains aren’t cheap for this trip but if you ensure you’re on a train that stops at Didcot and then split your ticket - ie buy PAD to DID, then DID to CPM and return, then bizarrely you’ll save about £7/8 rather buying direct tickets to Chippenham. New ground for me.

pettyboy likes this.
  4. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Didcot is the last stop within the Network/Goldcard zone, meaning you can get one third off an off-peak day return for the Paddington to Didcot fare with either of those cards but will need to pay full price for the Didcot to Chippenham leg. That works out at £34.60, much cheaper than a through ticket and also less than the cheapest remaining advance fares last time I checked, which were £25 each way. I assume Senior/Student card holders can get a third off for the whole journey. You don't need to change trains at Didcot to use split tickets but you must be on a train that stops there, which means the hourly service leaving Paddington at 30 minutes past the hour and the services leaving Chippenham at 56 minutes past the hour on the way home.

The ground is around 15 minutes walk from the station in a pleasant market town.

5. Blitzwalker

Thanks for explaining as I was wondering at the logic behind it. Both the trains I’m booked on stop at Didcot.

6. Pink Panther

It's absurdly difficult to work out the cheapest train fares on some of these routes. It amounts to a scam by the train companies. (You could get £14 each way advance tickets a couple of weeks ago but they've all gone now.) Even if you don't have a discount railcard it looks like day return tickets are cheaper if you split them at Didcot. It's best to check your journey on a split ticketing website before buying, which will identify any savings that can be made by splitting the tickets. (But if you buy direct from that website they'll charge a small fee - note their suggestions then buy the tickets from the train operator's website instead!)

SPLIT TRAIN TICKETS

Blitzwalker likes this.
  7. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

The supporters’ coach is refreshingly simple.
    £18 full fare, £12 concs.
    Departs Champion Hill at 10.45am.
    Book a place via: info@dhst.org.uk

8. Emmbeee

Emmbeee Active Member

If you want to save money on the train and cba, then oyster card to Hayes and Harlington.
    Hayes to Didcot and Didcot to Chippenham as split tickets

Blitzwalker likes this.
  9. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

All this splitting tickets bollox, seems like a lot of hassle to nick a quid or two...

Jump on the bloody coach a few times a season

the 12th man likes this.
  10. Blitzwalker

If you don't mind me throwing up on the coach due to travel sickness, then fair enough. I don't fancy it personally, which is why I prefer to use the train where I can.

11. Pink Panther

You're missing the point it's not about the absolute cheapest way of getting there and back (which will be the coach in this case, but wasn't for Oxford when there were advance train tickets for as little as £5.40 each way), it's about not getting ripped off with a much higher train fare for travelling on the same train. Personally I would also need to leave home around 2 hours earlier to catch the coach.

I hadn't spotted that one but unless there's a loophole I'm unaware of you'd have to get to Hayes first, then take a slow train to Didcot calling at about 10 intermediate statios, then change again for Chippenham adding about an hour each way to the journey time.

I'm not even going to this one as I've had enough of the recent dismal away performances otherwise I'd have booked advance tickets @£14 each way when they were available, at which time the coach was still subject to possible cancellation.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  12. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Active Member

Plus the railcard discount so £9 single each way Paddington to Chippenham. Travelling in hope rather than certainty (of the football rather than the journey). As I travel from Herts, it's simpler and takes less time to use the train rather than get to the ground to pick up the coach.

Blitzwalker and Pink Panther like this.
  13. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

I have convinced my wife to come to her first ever Dulwich game (weather permitting) and also my daughters second game (she came to Tooting for the playoff semi) so have increase the Hamlet following by 2 extra! Bring it on :thumbs:

the 12th man and Nivag like this.
  14. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this, looks like a decent ground with cover at both ends and close to the town centre.

If we play to our form of the last 55 mins on Saturday we've got a very good chance of coming away with a point or three...

Planning to stay over at make a night of it.

Any pub suggestions/recommendations for before or after?

Taper likes this.
  15. Pink Panther

Sadly, after the recent death of Shayne Mangodza, a second ex-Hamlet player from the same era recently passed away. Rene Regis made just a couple of first team appearances during the first of Craig Edwards' two seasons as manager, but he is the only player I can think of who played for both the Hamlet and tomorrow's opponents:

Bluebirds Fans Forum / Rene Regis - RIP - Boardhost Free Forums

16. DHST

DHST Active Member

Still places available on the coach.
    It’s a ridiculously cheap and easy way to support the team in our antepenultimate away game of the season.
    Walk-ups available. Coach leaves 10.45am from Champion Hill Stadium.

the 12th man and Cyclodunc like this.
  17. Pink Panther

Listening to this one on the radio. 1-0 up after 36 minutes; Akinyemi penalty after a trip on Clunis.

18. editor

editor hiraethified

Come on Hamlet! We're still one up!

19. editor

editor hiraethified

20. Pink Panther

Clunis sent off for retaliation. First ever red card in 10 seasons and almost 450 first team appearances. 3 match ban starting next Saturday.

pompeydunc likes this.
  21. Pink Panther

2-1 now after 87 minutes.

22. editor

editor hiraethified

Uh-oh. 2-1.

23. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Victory

24. editor

editor hiraethified

That's a bloody great result.

25. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

A result that all but confirms Hamlet won’t go down. Perhaps another point needed from the last four games but should be ok. Fantastic result, pleased for everyone involved.

editor likes this.
  26. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

That should just about do you. Torquay with a hell of a comeback after Woking got a man off I see.

27. Pink Panther

Gloucester bagged a late winner at Eastbourne, which wasn't ideal. Hampton won at Billericay, which is funny. Weston-super-Mare beat Dartford for only their second home win of the season, but can no longer catch us anyway. We're 2 points further from danger than we were this morning. Table after today's results:

Screenshot_20190406-171652_Football Web Pages.jpg

28. Pink Panther

Apparently it was ex-Torquay player Ben Gerring sent off, who recently made a fool of himself by making stupid comments about his former club on social media .

Wins for Torquay in their next two games could seal the title before Woking visit Hamlet on Easter Monday, and Woking could yet blow 2nd place looking at their recent sketchy results. I was hoping they'd have nothing to play for by then, but now I'm hoping they'll be nervously clinging to pole position for the play-offs. After their unfriendly approach to our supporters at their place, and the arrogant Billy Big Bollocks attitude of some of their supporters online, I'd love to derail their promotion challenge.

29. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

One of the most important results so far
    certainly gives us a very realistic chance of staying up and big psychological boost
    vital that we didnt sit back on one goal with Dipo scoring two
    The sending of Nyren sounded harsh (certainly Tom Bale's view)
    Must be difficult now for the Hamlet players to play in front of 3,000 one week and a few hundred the week after
    Even on the audio commentary the ground sounded windswept and empty (actual attendance 532)
    Must be difficult for Chippenham mid table and nothing really to play for
    See Woking overtook us again in attendance stakes after 4,000 plus attendance against Torquay today
    see reports of lots of pyros and a bit of bad behavior but looks like Torquay's title now
    Ricay losing at home in front of just 800 odd shows money cannot by you love

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Ronco likes this.
  30. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

There was a constant crosswind where Tom and Jamal were positioned. Can't have been nice up there.