CHIME observatory discovers deep space radio signals

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by cybershot, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

2. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

It's a brand new telescope. Let's hope it isn't detecting the microwave in the staff canteen :)

AverageJoe likes this.
  3. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

You'd want to be very sure that it wasn't picking up any errant signals

Eta: as supine suggests

4. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley These violent delights have violent ends.

These signals are from very very specific spots in the sky. They are in the 400mhz frequency. Local sources are just about the first thing you try to eliminate. Perhaps the most famous example of that (well "famous" in the field of radio astronomy :rolleyes: ) is the CBMR or cosmic background microwave radiation where the team discovering it originally thought it was might be pigeon droppings. I could be being overly trusting here, but I am guessing a team full of astrophysics PHD's will have a better grasp of the emissions spectra of the staff canteen than me.

Thank fuck this story is not being reported as "aliens". That trend of reporting every anomaly as LGMs is getting very wearisome.

Given the extreme age I am going on a guess that it will be some very hyper energetic and rare phenomena no longer active in our "local" space i.e. not in a galaxy within a few hundred million light years.

A second source of repeating fast radio bursts

NoXion likes this.