Children to be banned from cycling to (one particular, London) school without number plates

Discussion in 'transport' started by gentlegreen, Sep 26, 2018.

1. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Children have been told they will be banned from cycling to their south London school if they do not put number plates on their bikes.

Teachers at Stanley Park High, in Carshalton, are introducing the scheme so members of the public can report pupils cycling dangerously.

The secondary school said the main aim was to keep children safe.

Charity Cycling UK questioned why Stanley Park High "want to make cycling to school more difficult".

On the school's website, head teacher Amit Amin wrote: "All students who cycle to school will be required to display a school-issued bicycle number plate when riding to and from school.

"Students without a number plate will not be permitted to cycle to school, or lock their bicycles on school grounds."

Mr Amin said the measure was in response to incidents of children cycling in a way that "endangers themselves and others".

'Trespassing' on parental duties
    A school statement added: "Our absolute priority is the safety of our students, and the aim of this initiative is simply to ensure their safety as they travel to and from school."

The plates are being introduced on 1 October as part of a scheme to encourage cycling, which includes subsidised bike lights and maintenance workshops.

Duncan Dollimore, of Cycling UK, said Mr Amin's actions were "part of a trend of head teachers trespassing on parental responsibilities".

Mr Dollimore said schools should focus on encouraging local authorities to adopt 20mph speed limits and traffic-calming measures instead of making "cycling to school more difficult".

Schools across England have imposed various restrictions recently, including cycling safety tests and mandatory helmets.

Another critic of Stanley Park High's policy is Chris Boardman, former professional cyclist and Greater Manchester's cycling and walking commissioner.

He wrote on Twitter: "If I was one of the school governors, I'd be stepping in about now."

School to ban bikes without number plates

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

But what do you think?

3. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

I agree with the first four words.

4. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

Surely children running across roads without looking is a perennial problem that can be solved by fixing registration plates to children. No walking to school without a registration plate. This will also stop children ringing door bells and running away, stealing 10p sweets from the newsagent, that sort of thing. Offenders can be reported by the public thanks to to the big numbers displayed to the front of rear of each child.

5. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Nothing to do safety and everything to do with controlling behaviour (as part of a bigger "plan") I expect.

Stopping kids pulling wheelies on the way home from school = better exam results. Doesn't everyone know this?

6. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

These people are mental. How the fuck do they manage to walk and breathe at the same time, never mind get promoted to positions of authority?

7. PippinTook

PippinTook Some are born to sweet delight

It's a crazy thing...schools are becoming very Nanny like.
    Where I work we were told to examine children's lunches and to write to parents if the lunches were not deemed "healthy" enough.
    I won't ever look at kids lunches. I don't believe it's any if my business to assess the foods given by parents to their children.
    If a child doesn't have a lunch I will get them one but I'm not about to give out to a kid who has nutella sandwiches every day of the week.
    I'm getting really sick of the way schools are at the moment. They are becoming mini fascist breeding grounds.

8. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Number plates can fall off or be pinched, shave the backs of their heads and brand them. For their safety.

MadeInBedlam, Nivag, plurker and 6 others like this.
  9. beesonthewhatnow

Best that they never go home really, simply keep them in safety cages at the school.

10. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

Come to think of it, why not just put the children directly in prison. Merging schools and prisons should stop people complaining that prisoners don't get enough educational opportunities. It will also save money by allowing the Ministry of Justice, CPS, the police and Courts Service to be abolished.

11. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

I think the headmaster is a twat ...

... though back in the early 70s, I'm pretty sure they used to go on about "representing the school" (while in transit) ...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  12. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

13. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

This seems to me to be another case of teaching kids that bullying is OK as long as you are in a position of authority. It seems to be all about breaking kids and making them obedient.

Chilli.s, a_chap, BoatieBird and 3 others like this.
  14. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

This all just seems like a proof-of-concept test for the principle of controlling kids' lives even outside of school hours and school premises. Obviously there's homework and stuff already but this is mediating behaviour and that's dark as fuck.

And I loathe all this 'representing the school' shit. If you run a school then you work for the kids, they do not work for you. Who cares about a school's corporate image ffs, when did that and not education and child wellbeing become the end product here?

15. 8ball

8ball Up to something

:facepalm:

Then they can just wear a hat.
    Need to chip them like cats and set up a network of detectors.

Think of the jobs created.

16. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

Excellent idea. Let’s hope it gets taken up by more schools and also councils.

17. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Agreed - it's all in keeping with education as consumer item. They are all selling, even the state schools.

Eldest's school has said children shouldn't congregate on the nearby common (i.e. common land) because of some bad behaviour there. I've told her to carry on hanging out with her friends there if she wants to and the school can discuss it with me if they object.

18. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

It's the system, innit.

Schools are the living embodiment of the way in which power corrupts. You give a small fiefdom to someone, and grant them effectively unlimited power over the lives of a group of people (kids) who have little means to legitimately push back, and the inevitable happens - the creeping power grab starts, with ever-increasing intrusions into whatever areas they can. And when it's reached its limits within school, it starts to extend outside, on whatever tenuous basis it can find. The superficial irony is that schools are ever more concerned with branding their kids as identifiably members of the school, and then can't bear the idea that they might do things on the way home from school that reflect badly on it. It's a superficial irony, because it's not that they can't bear the idea - they LOVE the idea, because it enables them to extend their control over kids all the way home.

It's purely about power. As a colleague of mine points out, we are (supposedly) teaching our children how to operate in a democratic society, but we do it by putting them into autocratic schools.

And it's not new. When I was at school, we were expected to wear our (highly distinctive) blazers home, and there were regular announcements in assembly about how some boys had been reported swearing on the bus, or committing some other vile infraction, and how it was letting the school down.

It takes courage to relinquish that power, and replace it with something more collaborative. And it is only a few senior management types who have that courage. I increasingly believe that a lot (but not all) of those who go into education related fields are doing so out of a sense of some degree of inadequacy about dealing with adults. I see it most amongst my counselling colleagues and trainees who want to work with children and young people, a good three quarters of whom, if you actually scratch the surface, want to do it because they think it's a soft option compared to all the gritty reality stuff that goes with counselling adults. Little do they know...but there's a lot of wet hens in the counselling world working with kids and doing an utterly ineffectual job. And, from my experience in schools, I'd say that's true of quite a lot of the teaching and management staff too. Heads, for example, are in a senior managerial role, but get chatting to more than a couple, and you fairly quickly get the impression that if these people were in industry, they'd be a LONG way further down the hierarchy, if they were even able to function in it at all.

This is not to say that there aren't caring, motivated people in education who ARE doing it for the right reasons, though. I also know a good few teachers who are pulling their hair out at the ludicrous pettifoggingness of the systems they have to work within - to the extent that I think the system quite often drives the ones who REALLY care out of schools, because the sheer frustration of trying to convey valuing and care for your pupils within a framework which is more about boxing them in is simply too much. And I saw the same in my work - it was too costly to give a damn in a world where box-ticking and form-filling ruled supreme.

I think the only solution is to arm the kids...oh :D

8ball, a_chap, SpookyFrank and 2 others like this.
  19. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I'm for it.

Teaching kids that just because you aren't in school or at home there are consequences for bad behaviour.

Hopefully it takes root before they get to the 'we can do whatever we like and the pigs can't touch us' mugging pensioners stage.

20. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

It's easy to see why this stuff is mostly coming from state schools that are now outside LEA control. The people in charge aren't really accountable to anyone. Even with private schools, the management are very much accountable to the parents, simply because that's where all their money comes from. But with these academies the heads can basically tell the parents and children to like it or lump it, and no one is going to intervene.

21. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

Bullshit. As an adult I don't have to put a licence plate on my bike. Petty authoritarian crap like this doesn't teach kids to respect authority, it teaches them that adults with power over kids often turn out to be authoritarian creeps.

22. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Quite, if kids are behaving badly then punish them if you must. What you mustn't do is punish everyone in case someone misbehaves.

Seeing this shit and the uniform/haircut bollocks really makes me appreciate both my kids' schools for being sound and just normal!

23. SpookyFrank

Doing wheelies on your bike is a well-known gateway drug for pensioner mugging :rolleyes:

Arbitrary rules and discipline for its own sake actually makes genuinely harmful transgressions more likely IMO. Kids can spot bullshit a mile off, they know there's no real reason for wearing a school tie or not swearing on the bus. If those pointless rules are then enforced with as much vigour as those which genuinely prevent harm, the kids won't know the difference between a good rule and a bad rule and will instinctively react against both.

Why should a kid trust someone who tells them it's bad to mug pensioners when that person has also told them it's bad to do wheelies? The kid has already tested the second rule and found it to be bullshit, what conclusion do they then draw about the first?

24. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

It's ridiculous, counter pro
    Yep, and if they turn up without a number plate on their bike or on their back, just refuse them admission to the school.

This nonsense appears to be derived from the same mindset which has led to increasingly draconian uniform rules and sanctions for non compliance

KeeperofDragons and a_chap like this.
  25. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Bit like the no-tolerance drug policy really - if the authorities are telling you ‘all drugs are evil mmkay’ then why not take crack instead of having a spliff.

sealion and SpookyFrank like this.
  26. SpookyFrank

When I was at school the teachers knew who we were. This rendered number plates redundant. I worked at a school last year where the only staff member who knew the kids' names was the caretaker.

This school's logo is a ring of multicoloured children holding hands around a globe. But the kids would get a bollocking for speaking any language other than English in the playground, and the teachers wouldn't even bother trying to pronounce the Sudanese, Polish, Pakistani names properly.

Very tidy uniforms though.

27. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

The representing the school thing was really common way back in the dark ages of '80s. I bet our head would have loved to give out number plates to kids if he could. I do wonder how on Earth they're supposed to work without making the bikes unsafe though.

Requiring kids to pass a cycle proficiency test (provided by the school) I do agree with though.

littlebabyjesus likes this.
  28. SpookyFrank

Yeah I teach year 6 kids safe cycling courses and most of them are already riding around the neighbourhood by that age, with no clue that cycling on the pavement is not OK. Then again, cycling on the road is not very wise if you're much younger than 10 and definitely not without training.

Still, a small child cycling on the pavement is an annoyance maybe, but not a mortal danger to anyone else. Not like grown adults mounting the pavement in large vehicles, something every kid sees on her way to school every day.

29. beesonthewhatnow

No, fuck that as well.

When my kids want to ride a bike to school it will be down to me if I think they're competent, not the fucking school.

ddraig, Bahnhof Strasse and a_chap like this.
  30. beesonthewhatnow

If you're teaching young kids that they can't ride on the pavement you're teaching them wrong.

Bahnhof Strasse and a_chap like this.