Child benefit and housing benefit

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by mr steev, Sep 5, 2017.

1. mr steev

mr steev magic thought wizard

A quick question... Does child benefit count as part of your income when being assessed for housing benefit? I know tax credits do, but didn't think child benefit does.

I had a review recently (by an outside body rather than the council) and they seem to have completely fucked it up. Got my earnings completely wrong since last November (even though I provided them with invoices and bank statements) and subsequently have slashed my benefit so there is no way I can afford my rent. On top of that they seem to have included CB in my earnings too, which I don't think is right

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

this may be useful Child benefit - Which?

can you appeal the thing seeing as they seem to have fucked it up beyond all recognition?

Badgers likes this.
  4. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Child benefit has never counted as income for HB purposes. Though you still have to declare it.

5. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

No, it's disallowed. As said above you have to declare it but they won't count it as 'income'

6. mr steev

mr steev magic thought wizard

I'm going to have to. It's not like the reduction will make things tight... i won't be able to afford my rent at all! I rang them this morning and was told someone would ring me back... they didn't, so I rang them again. Apparently they don't do appointments anymore so I'm going to have to take time off work, go in, take a ticket and sit in there for hours.

This what I thought. But they clearly have added it to my tax credits as 'other income'.

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Is there a figure for 'disregarded income' or something like that anywhere?

scifisam likes this.
  8. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato Thank fuck it's not over.

There is a handy fact re income with regard to benefits, if it is taxable it is counted, if not, not. So, IS isn't counted, Carer's Allowance is.

The HMRC website has a list of what is taxable.

9. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

That's what I was thinking - my HB statement (which is fucked up for other reasons) includes my DLA as income but then has another box in which that income is disregarded and not counted towards my total income.