Chester Zoo

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Mungy, May 23, 2007.

1. Mungy

Mungy i haz boobz

I went to Chester Zoo today to get a couple of photos for my daughter. There I was by the lion enclosure and couldn't see them properly cos of all the kids there. So off I go around the other side and I can just see the lions face, so I crouch down to get a better view. He notices me jumps down off the platform and started stalking me!

[​IMG]

He was about 6 feet away when I took this, even though there was 2 lots of fence between us I was still shitting it.

Lions are fucking awesome :D

2. Mungy

Mungy i haz boobz

[​IMG]

There was a thick piece of glass between us, it got right up to the glass. Tigers definitely look more psychotic.

3. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Poor things :(

4. Mungy

Mungy i haz boobz

aye.

I was well aware that I was only alive due to the fences / glass. Zoo's have come on a long way since I was a kid in the 70's though.

5. Mungy

Mungy i haz boobz

6. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Image input equipment manufacturer: NIKON CORPORATION
    Image input equipment model: NIKON D70
    Lens focal length: 300

So that's how you got so close :D

7. Mungy

Mungy i haz boobz

if you think i'm climbing in with them marmots, you can think again :D

8. Pingu

Pingu Credo

if you get a chance try the south lakes wild animal park in erm the lake district (barrow i think)

its not a zoo as such more a conservation park and the tigers there are awesome. you can also do a "behind the scenes" photography thing at knowlesly

9. Mungy

Mungy i haz boobz

We've always wanted to do knowsley. My brother lives out that way so we could annoy him as well :D

10. Chorlton

Chorlton CEO of Stupid

fucken hell i was about to do a thread on zoos and photoging but i couldn't be arsed with the big shitsandwich the thread would become as ethics were discussed.... and i'm not sure what my own opinion is..... but - was chester zoo good from

a) a photogtaphy POV

b) did it look ethically alright?

never been to a zoo in my life and not sure i really want to but i really want to shoot tigers...

11. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

Bastard. Tigers is alright. You leave them alone.

Fucking farmers.

12. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Ah, the glass probably explains the slight greenish tint to the lighter areas of fur.

13. disco_dave_2000

disco_dave_2000 la la lapland

14. Mungy

Mungy i haz boobz

Chester zoo is pretty good for photos though you do need some telephoto action to get through the mesh fences and get some detail. The elephants are easy to get, this was the first time I've got a decent pic of the big cats.

Ethically.... well.... I know a bloke who used to be a zoo keeper there and he says the animals are well looked after. Most of them have a fair bit of space, though some like the komodo dragon leave something to be desired. But ethically.... It's up to you. I think they serve a purpose in an attempt to protect endangered species, but if humans didn't fuck the planet up, there would be no need for them - certainly as a profit making business.

15. zenie

zenie >^^<

I love those pics :cool:

Roarrrrr!!!! :D

Question : I've not photographed through glass for a long time how do you not get any reflections?

16. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

You should of called in for tea Mungy. I live right next door to the zoo;)
    Nice pics. :cool:
    Did you get any of the otters?

17. friedaweed

Chester's probably the best zoo for looking ethically right which extends well to the habitat the animals live in. It's come a long way from the polar bear pit days.

It's also great for photography. There's plenty of viewing space at different levels. My advice though would be visit outside of the summer months. We go daily in the winter. There's not many folk there and the animals seem more inquisitive about you in the quiet months. As well as the animals there's loads of other stuff to shoot there too. The gardens are nice and there's great scope for people pics. In the summer it's a big hit with camera club days out. Monopods fucking everywhere:eek: :D

If you fancy going Chorlton let me know, we get half price tickets for guests. Cos it's not cheap:D

18. Paul Russell

Paul Russell Psychogeographer

I think Chester Zoo is the best zoo I've been to.

19. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

Use a polarizer filter. They are good for improving colour saturation as well.

20. Mungy

Mungy i haz boobz

I got some of the otters a couple of years ago, I'll see if I can find em.

21. friedaweed

There's a truck load of them at the moment. They had a litter last year;) 6 I think.
    http://www.esnips.com/doc/0efe944a-f4c8-48d6-ac70-95155b5ea9d8/DSCF2981
    Me and the kid like the red pandas but trying to get a good shot of them isn't easy. The only time we've seen them down from the trees we had no bloody cameras with us.:mad: :D
    We got this pic one cold, wet, misty day in feb.
    http://www.esnips.com/doc/3dab4e75-158a-4c99-8431-3e07b56ad51a/DSCF2966
    Both best viewed large.

22. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

On fire apparently :(

Pickman's model likes this.
  23. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

Hope none of the animals are harmed. :(

Pickman's model and Badgers like this.
  24. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

:(

(here)

:)

Pickman's model and Badgers like this.
  25. farmerbarleymow

That suggests they evacuated humans first, and then rescued the animals. They've got the priority back to front.

Sea Star, Pickman's model and Badgers like this.
  26. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Luckily the smoke a-llamas worked

27. farmerbarleymow

28. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

29. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!