Chernobyl - Sky/HBO mini-series

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by smmudge, May 9, 2019.

1. smmudge

smmudge Sissy that walk!

Anyone watch the first episode of this? I love cold war nuclear stuff. Think I've got a metallic taste in my mouth now...

Spoiler: a reactor core explodes!

neonwilderness, pesh and Badgers like this.
  2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I watched about half of it but didn't really get into it. The English accents jarred with me a bit too. I've resolved to wait until it's all available then try to binge it.

Poi E and Badgers like this.
  3. Sprocket.

Sprocket. I am just waiting for the next tomato..

Not watched yet.
    Though this is why I never wear Russian Y-fronts!

badseed, Lucy Fur, MrSki and 2 others like this.
  4. flypanam

flypanam Agrocultured and shitesayer

is it more sky than HBO or more HBO than Sky? Sky's dramatic output is pure shite. Which would be a shame as it could be an excellent drama.

Badgers likes this.
  5. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Seen the adverts. Is it any good?

Badgers likes this.
  6. smmudge

smmudge Sissy that walk!

Hmm i don't really know what characterises HBO or Sky so I'm not sure. But I enjoyed it (ok like i said not hard with this kind of stuff). However I enjoyed the realistic elements, for instance I think the control room looks like the real thing. I like that they kept all the technical stuff in, you kind of have to go with it a bit and not try to understand too much and it works. The performances are very good imo.

Sprocket. likes this.
  7. Rosemary Jest

Rosemary Jest Wrong and Unstable

I thought this was a film, but now I know it's a series I'll watch it. Is it an episode a week?

8. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

It’s not one of those documentary + dramatised account hybrids where they mix up footage real people’s interviews with a dramatised narrative played by actors is it? I can’t stand those...

9. smmudge

smmudge Sissy that walk!

No it's just a drama. They had a ten second audio clip of a real emergency call from the time but that's it.

5x 1 hour episodes. I think I saw a couple of trailers beforehand but didn't do it justice imo.

Rosemary Jest and T & P like this.
  10. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

Cheers for the heads up, will give it a try... the BBC dramatisation Surviving Disaster with Adrian Edmondson of all people playing the lead investigator is worth checking out as well...

DaveCinzano and smmudge like this.
  11. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

The first episode is wonderful. It's got a huge sense of creeping horror, and should make you angry too.

12. telbert

telbert Do you like sponge?

Watched ep1 tonight. Hooded Claw is bang on with the creeping horror description. Really good, quite dark without trying to be iykwim.

smmudge likes this.
  13. TheHoodedClaw

Episode 2 continues the excellent work. And probably not the ideal thing to watch just before bedtime.

smmudge likes this.
  14. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Shit. Just watched the first one. Really good. Poor fuckers.

15. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

16. Pac man

Pac man Banned Banned

Watched episode 1, won't be watching anymore.

17. Epona

Epona Down with battered parsnips

I watched episode 1 earlier, utterly horrific - will watch the rest.

18. Oula

Oula Well-Known Member

This was amazing. Edmondson was a revelation. I had forgotten the title of it so thank you.

pesh likes this.
  19. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I checked the first episode and it was pretty good. Not sure the other half was so enthused by it, but then the subject matter is grim. Will check further episodes.

20. smmudge

smmudge Sissy that walk!

Does the second episode have lots of surprise vomitting? Hate seeing people vomit, even fake vomit.

21. TheHoodedClaw

Not compared to episode one, no. The scope moves a bit outward from the immediate disaster site for a lot of the episode.

22. smmudge

smmudge Sissy that walk!

Ok good. Other half is on nights so we're saving it for the weekend (and the daytime lol).

23. Scaggs

Scaggs following seagulls

Finding this fascinating, the hierarchies of the soviet state institutions mainly. Don't know how realistic it is but it feels real. The volunteers who had to drain the water tanks and the relationship between the scientist and the government official were particularly striking. I can't imagine US or even UK workers agreeing to do that, knowing their chances survival . I'm interested to read more about Chernobyl now.

keybored and moochedit like this.
  24. Sprocket.

I thought the first two episodes were okay, but I await the episode 3, to see if the cliffhanger at the conclusion of E2 is true to life or whether artistic license is used.

Badgers and mauvais like this.
  25. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

95% on the tomatometer! Looks like I need to get involved!

Badgers likes this.
  26. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

i've been failing to find a decent rip of this, will wait until there's a whole series to binge. but it did lead me to this doc which is astonishing, i hadn't a single clue about the scale of the impact/operation.

treelover, Signal 11, smmudge and 5 others like this.
  27. Sprocket.

Heroes true heroes they saved Europe.

Kaka Tim and Badgers like this.
  28. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I've been watching it, so many firefighters and miners gave their lives so that many more would live. It's harrowing stuff but very detailed. The relationships in communist Russia are particularly interesting, especially the woman nuclear physicist who established what happened.

29. smmudge

smmudge Sissy that walk!

Still loving it. I didn't know about what they had to deal with after it exploded either, and how much they actually managed to divert further doom! Pretty impressive really, guess we're quite lucky. But why can't the fire fighter's wife just do what she's told!!!

The nuclear physicist is one of the few characters who isn't real, but based on a number of scientists I think who independently figured out what was going on, and probably the other impending disasters after the initial explosion.

Badgers likes this.
  30. TheHoodedClaw

She's a proxy for a whole bunch of scientists who were involved in the discovery, mitigation, investigation etc. That makes sense dramatically, and Emily Watson is nailing the part. They all are I think - an extremely able cast.

Amid all the continuing grimdark, the reaction of the miners to the First Secretary for Coal, or whatever he was, was genuinely funny.