Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chelmsford. What should I do?

littleseb

littleseb
I was once dumped by a band post-gig in Chelmsford. A kind stranger then shared his pizza with me. Another kind stranger gave me a lift to Romfort. From there I blagged a night bus to London. By the time I got there the tubes were running, so it was easy enough to get to Heathrow. I got a cheap last minute ticket to Spain but missed the flight when I fell asleep in the departure lounge. I was woken by a call from my band, asking me to get back to Chelmsford to play a gig that night. I obliged.

Sweet FA

✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪
Of course -it was my regular from the age of fifteen :eek::cool:

View attachment 182963
Bought my first round, (at age 14 - that cloudy fucking cider they had + merrydown + black :facepalm:), smoked my first weed spliff in the 'garden' and developed an obsession with Hawkwind; all around 1981/82. Strangely, I also met the future Mrs FA there. Though she was the older sister of one of my schoolmates, was already a regular (at 17) and completely blanked us all. In fact, istr that we were under strict instructions not to go anywhere near her or any of her cool biker mates.

Ground Elder

My first pint was a cider in the Woolpack.

smoked my first weed spliff in the 'garden' and developed an obsession with Hawkwind; all around 1981/82
I can smell the patchouli and damp Afghan coat from here ;)

hammerntongues

The Woolpack is still a decent pub , big real ale selection . A bit of “ an old mans pub “ but since I am an old man I fit right in , nice beer garden too .

A pub crawl down Moulsham St will take in a few ok pubs and steer you clear of problems .
A micro pub included .

Generally further away from the railway station the better it gets .

So many Curry houses it’s tough to single one out .

Ground Elder

The Woolpack is still a decent pub , big real ale selection . A bit of “ an old mans pub “ but since I am an old man I fit right in , nice beer garden too
The Woolpack used to the hippy/biker pub of choice before the Prince of Orange. It got raided in the early eighties - if I remember correctly, the landlord got sent down as a load of acid was found behind the bar.

friedaweed

Climbing up the aerial
The Woolpack is still a decent pub , big real ale selection . A bit of “ an old mans pub “ but since I am an old man I fit right in , nice beer garden too .

A pub crawl down Moulsham St will take in a few ok pubs and steer you clear of problems .
A micro pub included .

Generally further away from the railway station the better it gets .

So many Curry houses it’s tough to single one out .
Cheers :thumbs:

stavros

Sorry for the late arrival. Chelmsford is stunningly unremarkable, but it does me OK.

Do you like cricket? Essex play here, and from my limited understanding they're one of the better counties.

Basildon takes fucking ages to get to, by public transport anyway. You'd be quicker getting the quick train to London.

stavros

Not related to the original question, but it was good fun to see Vicky Ford MP crying on telly when the Lib Dems took the city council earlier this year:

Sweet FA

✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪
Boreham's one of those villages whose residents will go out of their way to correct anyone who says they live in Chelmsford. See also Writtle and Galleywood.
+ Ingatestone, Mountnessing, Margaretting etc :thumbs: