'Cheesegrater 2' skyscraper approved - 56 storeys in the City of London

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Jul 11, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

'Cheesegrater 2' City skyscraper approved

Fugus Uglius Maximus.

2. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Oh good 6000 workers, nowhere to live but always somewhere to work.

JimW, S☼I and mather like this.
  3. mather

mather Well-Known Member

Not another one, it won't be long before London loses it's own unique image and become another identikit US style city full of skyscrapers and ugly modern corporate architecture. I can only hope that the next Mayor will put in place a ban on any new skyscrapers from being built in the city.

Pickman's model likes this.
  4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Perhaps every Sept 11 they could model what would happen in these buildings if they were struck by an airliner, with everyone above say floor 35 being told to imagine their services were no longer required and those beneath being reminded of the inevitable consequences of breathing in building dust.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  5. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

all around these skyscrapers are 80/90s offices that no one wants the old insurance side off the city is awash with empty buildings that have fallen out of favour and being banked for possible future development. So utterly wasteful

6. 2hats

2hats

Making London grate, again. Obviously.

7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I thought much of London's own unique had long since disappeared to be honest.

8. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I quite like it.

As far as I understand, they have to be this kind of slanted cheesegrater style because of the sight line rules guaranteeing views of St Pauls. Surely this must satisfy that requirement at a minimum.

9. 2hats

2hats

With some careful planning and a few more construction projects they could aim to spell out LONDON on the skyline from some viewing angles.

clicker and Pickman's model like this.
  10. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

It's not a bad one, as these things go. Interesting rippled effect to the facade. Distinctive shape.

One thing I find encouraging about these new towers is the incredible amount of space given over to bicycle facilities. An entire floor of the basement of this building (which is quite a bit wider than the tower part - there's a 5 story podium) is double-stacked cycle parking, changing rooms and showers.

upload_2018-7-20_11-39-17.png

Rebelda likes this.
  11. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

The cynic in me says that more cheap space below ground filled with shower and bikes means that floor space above ground can be more expensive as it doesn’t contain showers and bikes.

Alex

12. Crispy

Nah, it's enforced by planning. Underground space is not cheap; digging holes is expensive, complicated and time-consuming.

13. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I think it more likely that this is the last part of a complex three-dimensional sigil that will, when complete, open a gateway for the Elder Gods to finally come and provide a proper Brexit solution.

editor likes this.
  14. skyscraper101

Surely also, it's just practical and preferable. Park/pickup the bike and shower/change in the same place. I'm sure most people don't want to be trudging through the building in their lycra to get to designated personal changing/showering area.

Ted Striker likes this.
  15. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they need foundations.

16. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

Perhaps they should put the bike park on one of the top floors, instead of a cafe or something. That would defiantly make so much more sense.

17. Crispy

Yes, but those are just piles driven (very far) down into the clay. To actually excavate habitable space, hold back the ground pressure, keep the water out etc. is very expensive (but not as expensive as the reduction in rents that would be caused by putting above-ground areas out of profitable use by turning them into cycle parking). If planning didn't mandate a whole floor's worth of cycle parking, the habitable basement of the building would be one floor shallower.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  18. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

What will be enforced by planning will be enough bike spaces for x % of employees, the decision to put them in the basement will be commercial.

Alex

19. Crispy

Correct

20. skyscraper101

And practical

21. mather

mather Well-Known Member

It's going that way but I see no reason not to oppose it. London should be for Londoners, not property developers and rich foreigners.