Cheap, interesting food in London?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by miss direct, Feb 6, 2019.

1. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

About that for me as well. Used to go there quite a bit back in the 90s. tbh nowadays, I'd rather pay a little more and sit down at a proper table and be served perhaps not even quite as good food in a civilised way.

/getting old

Fond memories of the place, though. First time I ever ate quail.

polly likes this.
  2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Nope.

3. polly

polly Well-Known Member

:D I tried to take some revenge by stealing their cutlery, but the joke was on me as it makes everything taste like pennies.

4. flypanam

flypanam designated title: local oaf

Spicy Basil in Kilburn. Excellent Thai and very cheap. Gets busy on the weekend.

Spicy Basil London

Spymaster likes this.
  5. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Tayyabs was fine on Christmas Day but that's probably not representative. As polly says there is also Needos (opened by Ali from Tayyabs) but I have to say I found that a bit cramped and just OK.

We go to Tiffin on Cannon Street Road these days cos it's quiet and we know Abu the owner. Food is hit and miss but when it's good it's excellent.

polly likes this.
  6. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Oooh yes. Second this.

flypanam likes this.
  7. Winot

Yep and there's not many places you can eat for these prices in Mayfair:
    Menu | Murger Han Restaurant

8. polly

polly Well-Known Member

Yes, this is true.

9. ash

ash Inittogether

I love the way the Chinese describe their food. Being vegetarian was tricky in Hong Kong, I found glutinous rice on the menu and thought it might be boring but probably safe. It came wrapped in a leaf and full of all the parts of a pig, the other half and daughter loved it ..... I went hungry (pot noodles back at the hotel!!!).

10. littlebabyjesus

For lunchtime if you're on the move, there is an amazing array of cheap, very tasty food on Leather Lane nowadays during the week. Mostly takeaway rather than sit-in, but you can get excellent Korean, Jamaican, Bangladeshi, Japanese, Mexican, and various others. There's some really great stuff there.

Thimble Queen, polly and Spymaster like this.
  11. Winot

And you can eat it outside Craft with a pint in the summer. :)

littlebabyjesus likes this.
  12. littlebabyjesus

I used to have a soft spot for the old pub there, but the new one is objectively better really.

13. Winot

The Clock! Was pretty dodgy but classic Hatton Garden.

14. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

They were colons actually :D

15. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

Apparently we are staying in Canada Water. I've never been there and know nothing about it! Hope I can get to the delicious food from there :D

16. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

London has such good food. I can't wait to come back and eat everything.

miss direct likes this.
  17. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

You can book a table at tayabbs just call them.

Tbh you can do it without very much notice.

Alex

18. polly

polly Well-Known Member

I've always booked and always waited.

19. hash tag

hash tag member

See above re: spoons, the ledger building.

20. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I’ve never waited for more than a few mins when I’ve booked, I’ve waited for 30m when I’ve not booked. realistically you just jump the big queue when you book, but a few mins is easily tolerable.

21. polly

polly Well-Known Member

That's not my experience at all (kept waiting for about 20 mins on average) but as I say I haven't been in almost a decade.

22. eoin_k

eoin_k Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music

Drummond street vegetarian curries,
    Vietnamese pho from anywhere near bottom of Kingsland Road,
    Kennedy's fish and chips, Goswell Road
    Korean BiBim Bap cafe museum street
    Japanese Taro Old Compton Street and Brewer Street, as well as various Japan centre outlets
    Lots of street food around brick lane on a Sunday (Japanese and Ethiopian from an indoor market oposite Old Trumann brewwry etc.)
    Roti Stop in Walthamstow for Caribbean roti if you're in the area
    Franco Manca pizza has taken over everywhere because it's good/good value.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Ted Striker likes this.
  23. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

We love Needoo Grill.

24. Callie

Callie Pivoting

You can get the overground straight to croydon! Or maybe Islington then along a bit to hackney or summink

miss direct likes this.
  25. wtfftw

wtfftw melting like a toastie

Hawker House – Street Feast

miss direct likes this.
  26. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Straight on the Ginger Line to Dalston Junction (but Turkish food!) or Hoxton for Vietnamese.

miss direct and Callie like this.
  27. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

What about checking out one of the remaining pie mash and parsley liquor places? Ive never been but some people swear by them, pretty cheap too.

Camden market always had great cheap street food btw altho I've not been for years.

Crypt has food at St Martin's in the Field and some musics if youre around Trafalgar square.

Bibimbap soho for cheap Korean food.

Govinda's Pure Vegetarian Restaurant in Soho too is great value with big thali platters.

You cant fail to take him to Weatherpoons either at some point for some cheapy snacks 12 onion rings and a drink or their cheapo meal deals. ;)

LONDON CHEAP EATS | The ultimate insider guide to cheap restaurants and food in London for £8 or under.
    Might be useful

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    miss direct likes this.
  28. 8115

8115 Turn left.

I went to Song Que recently, it's really nice. Might come in a smidge over £10 pp if you have drinks.

Where's the best all you can eat veggie curry? I'm looking for somewhere to go with my friend soon.

29. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

Thanks for all the recommendations. In the end, I didn't really do that much eating out and about.

I was more than happy to go to Tesco and buy interesting ingredients to cook with. Was staying with three Turkish men so couldn't really afford to eat out all the time, in the end. I enjoyed cooking salmon, kale, sweet potatoes, pie, mash and gravy (all things I can't get in Turkey!) and having nice bread products for breakfast like English muffins, crumpets, and fancy hot cross buns (even though it's not even Lent yet!)

Did go to China Town and got some street food there, and also a lunch box thing from Roti something near Spitalfields. Super expensive though for what was basically some grated cauliflower and a bit of chicken. Friend made me go to Wagamamas (not impressed since we have that in Istanbul, but I felt too ill to eat anything apart from some miso soup anyway).

Had an amazing English breakfast at a place called George's Cafe in Olympia. Was tempted by the rainbow cake at the Hummingbird bakery in Portabello Market but resisted as it would have got squashed. I've been making cakes using their recipe book for years so it was nice to stumble across the actual place.

We enjoyed a lovely picnic on the train, had to introduce my boyfriend to that tradition. He also had the most British day possible in terms of eating - started with an English breakfast in the pub, then afternoon tea, which he thought was fabulous (and is now requesting a repeat at home), and finished with fish and chips.

Now I'm back home and can barely squeeze into my clothes.

30. Winot

hash tag likes this.