Cheap, interesting food in London?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by miss direct, Feb 6, 2019.

1. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

Ooh that looks good. My boyfriend loves meat (like most Turks) so it would be fun to take him to a place without any.

Bring your own booze too :D

2. Stig

Stig Bull in a china shop

Yes BYO and there's a massive sainsburys round the corner.

Be aware that's not salt and pepper on the table btw... it's salt and chilli powder. :D

miss direct and Spymaster like this.
  3. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

£7.95! :eek: It used to be way cheaper than that.

The places that did buffets in Drummond St were always more expensive than Indian Veg but the food was much better imo. Wonder what the price differential is these days...

4. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Most Drummond St buffets are £5.99 a head iirc.

Sue likes this.
  5. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

Get a Bento box in Eat Tokyo in Soho - the vegetarian one is £7.50 or £8.50, you get a LOT of food. Comes with miso soup. I usually have the chicken teriyaki or tempura one - both are £8.50. It's a bargain, there's another ramen bar at the other side of Soho (Taro) making basically the same thing but not as much or as nice food for more money - £12.50 or more for meat.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Rebelda, ringo and miss direct like this.
  6. hash tag

hash tag never too old

7. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Where :hmm:

8. ash

ash Inittogether

Padella just outside borough market has amazing pasta £6- £8. You have to queue but if 2 people not for long and it’s well worth it.
    I agree that the Indian YMCA is great.
    Saravanaa Bhavan in Tooting had amazing vegetarian thali for £7.50 if I get a takeaway it does me for lunch and tea. They also have branches in southall and Leicester Square. The Leicester Square one is weirdly posh and everything is about twice the price.
    Google Image Result for https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0e/22/fd/31/south-indian-thalli-meal.jpg

Koti roll in Poland street does great Mumbai street food and at the moment they have Imans falafels pop up nearby - Syrian street food and donation goes to refugees (probably too close to home for you !?).

polly likes this.
  9. Spymaster

Spymaster I'm alright Javid

Most of the non-veg buffets are gone now. In fact I don't think any are left. Drummond Street ain't what it used to be. The Drummond Villa, Taste of India, Raavi Kebab, Ravi Shankar, and Diwana remain, as do a couple of the sweet shops at the far end. Most of the others are now dirty chicken shops and the restaurants at the Hampstead road end change hands so often I don't know what's there at the moment. HS2 has killed Drummond Street. The station end is now all closed for redevelpoment.

10. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Winot likes this.
  11. Stig

The food was better but Indian Veg has really upped it's game with the price increase, and with the curries they now have loads of salads, spaceships, (puffy bread things) pakoras and veg bhajis. Hmm I need to go there now.

Spymaster likes this.
  12. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I'm veggie so...

Yep, it's a real shame the effect HS2 has had. :(

13. Spymaster

Actually, speaking of Drummond Street miss direct, there's an old Italian restaurant there called Brizzi's which does excellent homemade pasta and pizza for well under a tenner. It's a tiny place but you can't miss it because they have a massive Italian flag outside. Euston Square or Warren Street tubes for DS.

miss direct and Sue like this.
  14. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Haven't been for years tbh. There never used to be that much choice and the curries were a bit stodgy. Maybe need to revisit...

Have they still got the pictures of Bollywood film stars with the thing about them being beautiful because they're veggie? :D

15. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

Ethiopian is plentiful and cheap down the road in Sh Bush

polly likes this.
  16. polly

polly Well-Known Member

When you're in East London I recommend East Ham/Manor Park for ridiculously cheap South Indian/Sri Lankan food (dosa places - Saravana Bhavan is veggie, very good About Us | Saravanaa Bhavan). Also Punjabi food. Most of the places on High Street North and South in East Ham are alcohol free. Green Street also has loads of excellent, cheap Indian food, including lots of brilliant snack and sweet shops. Ooh, City Sweet Centre on Romford Road (Forest Gate ish, near the police station) is excellent too. Their savoury snacks are incredible. Chawalla on Green Street is a big local favourite too - cheap and unpretentious. Their paani puri are very good (gujurati snack with crunchy puffed up puri that you bash a hole in, fill with chickpeas and watery chutney and shove in your mouth before they disintegrate).

Second littleseb on Shepherds Bush recommendation. Head a bit further down Uxbridge Road to get away from the Westfield effect and there are a few good places. Might be a bit too Middle Eastern-food heavy for you though. IIRC there are quite a few Ethiopian places on Goldhawk Road (turn left out of G road tube).

Proper homesick now :eek:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  17. Stig

No! Well maybe one. But I think they finally got the memo and are now displaying slightly more positive, less sexist, lurid green veggie propaganda on the walls. So rather than 'Meat eaters, you will all die!' It's more, 'Ginger! Isn't it brilliant!' etc :D

Curry still reassuringly stodgy. :thumbs: Still do brussel sprout curry in winter, and curried mash. Which goes great with the oniony salad. They now have bowls for the dhal soup.

Sue likes this.
  18. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Song Que is still there, I think, on Kingsland high road. Was there a year ago anyway. That's very good.

My Old Place near Liverpool St does good cheap szechuan. Be prepared for serious rudeness though.

Tayyabb (sp?) is the best bet around Whitechapel way but they do herd you in and out rather.

tbh if I'm recommending cheap, tasty food in London, I'm likely to direct someone to a Turkish/Lebanese place. :D :facepalm:

Sue likes this.
  19. Spymaster

That used to be Gourmet San on the Bethnal Green Road. I once shared a dish of spicy pig's rectums there with Orang Utan

Orang Utan and littlebabyjesus like this.
  20. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

:eek: And erm, how were they..?

21. littlebabyjesus

I ate lung there for the first time. Waitress scoffed at my choice. 'you sure?' she asked. 'suit yourself...' as she wandered off. The aubergine in there is amazing. A great big lump of stewed veg - there must be about three whole aubergines in every serving.

22. Spymaster

Spicy! :D

I can't recall, tbh. They certainly weren't particularly unpleasant cos I'd have remembered. Apeface tucked right into them.

Sue likes this.
  23. ash

ash Inittogether

They all look interesting

24. polly

polly Well-Known Member

Fwiw I think Tayyabs has become a victim of its own success - too busy, too much of a wait, waiters so rude, no longer living up to the hype. I went to Needoo Grill last time I was in Whitechapel, which was opened by an ex-Tayyabs chef. The food was of a similar quality, though there was a door directly from the ladies' into the kitchen :D There's also Lahore Grill, though apparently they put ghee on their nan instead of butter :eek::D If you can stand that, it's also good (and feels much more spacious than Tayyabs, where you get constantly elbowed in the head by passing waiters).

25. littlebabyjesus

Not cheap cheap, but amazingly reasonable given how fantastic the food is, I recommend Saffron Kitchen if you're up Leyton way. Booze-free (can't even bring it in), but you'll forgive that for the food. Best Indian food I've ever had, and some flavours that I had never tasted before, all at pretty standard prices for an Indian restaurant.

26. ash

ash Inittogether

This sounds particularly good:

Hand-pulled Chongqing noodles
    in numbing and spicy sauce

27. littlebabyjesus

Yeah, I suspected that last time I passed it. 20 years ago it was busy but bearable.

polly likes this.
  28. dessiato

dessiato Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono

Greenwich market used to do good affordable food, especially at weekends. I've not been for ages though.

29. Spymaster

I wouldn't tip the waiting staff in Tayyabs unless I was at gunpoint, but then I wouldn't go there now. As Polly says, they're nothing like they were.

polly likes this.
  30. polly

polly Well-Known Member

Omfg I just had to think when I was last there and I was pregnant with my first child, so that was more than 9 years ago :eek: So yeah. I can't imagine it's improved, but might have.

Spymaster and littlebabyjesus like this.