Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*Cheap/free London!

Monkeynuts

Hello sailor
hotchiwitchi said:
Go and watch a court case at the Old Bailey .Just turn up in the morning or early afternoon and tell them you wish to sit in the public galleryThere are usually about ten cases being heard at any one time so ask the security officer which ones are of interest.Security is very tight so do not take any bag at all as you will be refused entry and be prepared for airport style security.
This is kinda macabre... do you hope there is a good murder case on or an interesting rape?

Very weird:eek:

undercover

Chopping up Armadillos
Free coffee at Crispy Creme donuts outside Euston Station all week if you're passing.

No need to buy any of the crap that they normally sell either, no other purchase neccesary... on my fourth cup today.:)

DJWrongspeed

radio eros
i accidentally ended up in the Elephant & Castle shopping centre the other day sheltering from the rain while on my bike. Popped into the 'Castle Brasserie' on the 1st floor. Huge plate of assorted indian vegan food for £2.89. Really nice and friendly staff. I'm always find some new thing in the centre whenever i visit.

STFC

Most mainline stations have those leaflets allowing you two for the price of one entry to various attractions. We went to London Zoo on Saturday, saving £13.50, and the Animals' War exhibition at the Imperial War Museum yesterday, saving £6.

After the zoo we walked along the canal to Camden Lock, where from about 6pm onwards all the Chinese/Indian/Thai/etc food stands reduce their prices to £2.

dash_two

Check out skips round Olympia and Earls Court Exhibition halls. After big trade shows you can sometimes find large pieces of good quality carpet once the trade stands have been dismantled.

Louloubelle

Camden residents can access a range of exercise classes for £1 each, although the initial class of any of the classes if free to see if you like it or not.

You can get a list of classes in any Camden library and buy sets of tickets in multiples of 5.

Most, but not all, of the classes are gentle but some are more challenging. Lots of elderly people, pregnant women and new mums, people recovering from illness / injuries.

I go to gentle yoga and tai chi every week. They also run healthy hearts, seated exercise, street dance, jive and other classes.

:)

looneytune

Do Fuck Off
Monkeynuts said:
This is kinda macabre... do you hope there is a good murder case on or an interesting rape?

Very weird:eek:
You say that but I hear it's pretty popular.

Must be a lot of weird and macabre people out there (what, in England? Never ;) )

tufty79

1979-2015. R.I.P.
Louloubelle said:
Camden residents can access a range of exercise classes for £1 each, although the initial class of any of the classes if free to see if you like it or not.

You can get a list of classes in any Camden library and buy sets of tickets in multiples of 5.

Most, but not all, of the classes are gentle but some are more challenging. Lots of elderly people, pregnant women and new mums, people recovering from illness / injuries.

I go to gentle yoga and tai chi every week. They also run healthy hearts, seated exercise, street dance, jive and other classes.

:)
according to the camden new journal (or whatever it's called) there are also regular free nature walks/rambles.

there's a ballet and tap class for adults somewhere round there too - from beginner through to intermediate - will edit in the details when i find them. think it's about a quid a class.
oooo and free art therapy sessions too :D

probably already in this thread (but i am queen of missing the obvious on urban) - anywhere for free food?

PetuniaS

free Radio and TV recording tickets

You can get free tickets for Radio and TV recordings at the links below. In the last couple of years I have seen

- Michael Parkinson interviewing Michael Caine, with Paul Simon playing live
- A recording of Bremner Bird & Fortune - the sketches were pre-recorded but Rory Bremner's stand up was recorded live, as was the Bird & Fortune sketch
- National Theatre of Brent
- etc

Also interesting to see how the programmes are made.

BBC recordings ticket info http://tickets.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tickets.cfg/php/enduser/tickets_home.php

TV shows recorded at Pinewood group (usually at Teddington Studios) http://www.pinewoodgroup.com/AudienceClub/

More TV ticket agents (all free), there is some duplication between then, and most have options to register and get notifications by email
http://www.beonscreen.com/uk/beonlive/index.asp
http://www.applausestore.com/Site/
http://www.chortle.co.uk/about/2006/06/27/3530/free_tickets
http://www.sroaudiences.com/
http://www.tvrecordings.com/

Thimble Queen

person of tinge
I know the horniman museum has already been mentioned on here.... but it deserves another because the aquarium is sooo :cool: and the name always makes me chuckle :oops:

mango5

Endeavour era
The Canal Museum is free on Sunday 6th July

As part of the Refresh Regents canal. At 12pm there's a talk by Malcolm Tucker, expert on London’s industrial architecture, on the Ice trade and Ice wells :cool:

Normally it's a fiver entry to the Museum, and this doesn't appear on its website.

Nougat

metalmonkey to the rescue
Tickets for the three-day Deloitte Ignite festival at the ROH is now available online. All the events bar two is free and it is suitable for all the family. There are lots of diverse performances/installation/chocolate tasting on offer. It starts on the 12th and runs through to the 14th of September.

Louloubelle

Lots of great free stuff for kids at the very wonderful Foundling Museum

The Museum is really beautiful and the exhibits are incredibly moving. I recommend bringing tissues with you. It usually costs to gain entry but there is a lot of free stuff happening over easter.

Easter Egg Hunt: Easter Saturday 11 April 10am – 5pm.

The Foundling Museum and local chocolate shop Chocolat Chocolat have joined forces to celebrate the Easter weekend. Young visitors to the Museum can follow the Easter trail to discover hidden secrets in the collection and get a free luxury chocolate egg as a prize. Children and their accompanying adult gain free entry to the Museum on Easter Saturday and those young visitors who complete a trail will be given a special token from the Easter Bunny which they can exchange for their free egg at Chocolat Chocolat in the neighbouring Brunswick Centre

Animals: Tuesday 14 & Thursday 16 April 1pm – 4pm.

FREE entry to Museum for all members of the family during drop-in sessions. Follow the animal trail and make a pop-up animal card to take home.

The Foundling Museum’s youth forum

Saturday 18 April, 11am – 5pm, FREE, reserve your place by calling Helen Turner on 020 7841 3605.
The Foundling Museum’s monthly youth forum called Found offering young people the chance to take part in free workshops, exhibitions and projects in art, music and drama working closely with art professionals. Generously supported by the John Lyon’s Charity. For further information contact Helen Turner on 020 7841 3605 or helen(at)foundlingmuseum.org.uk.

There are also a few free classical music concerts for those paying to gain entry to the museum. I would recommend a visit highly and all the money goes to support the museum and the work of the Coram Foundation.

Usual prices

Open: Tuesday – Saturday 10am – 5pm and Sunday 11am – 5pm, CLOSED ON MONDAYS.

Admission: Adults £5 // Concessions £4 // Art Fund members and children under 16 FREE.

Tube: Russell Square (2 minutes walk)

Rail: King’s Cross St. Pancras (10 minutes walk)

More info on the various free concerts here:
www.foundlingmuseum.org.uk

enjoy :)