*Cheap/free London!

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Cloo, Sep 23, 2003.

1. rampART

rampART New Member

Free stuff and social centres

There are a bunch of autonomous social centres around london which are run by volunteers on a no-commerical basis and have many different political and cultural events going on which are all free or by donation.

you can go to regular free cinema nights (every wednesday from 8pm at the rampART for example)

or get cheap meals by donation from cafe nights

or get involved in something creative like screen printing t'shirts

or go to a jam session, gig or benefit night

Look on indymedia to find out more, or check out the websites of specific projects (ours is www.rampart.co.nr). Some of these places have mailing lists which you can join to hear about coming events. (subscribe to the rampART list by visiting http://lists.riseup.net/www/subrequest/rampart )

If you have a event or activity you'd like to put on, these spaces may provide a possible venue for free so get in touch.

--
    rampART centre
    15-17 Rampart Street, London E1 2LA
    www.rampart.co.nr

2. the B

the B Sorry

Has anyone else used cinecheck then? :confused:

I'm registering now anyway after browsing this thread...

3. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

Go to ciao.co.uk and see differing opinions of it. It'll probably be up your street. You could take you-know-who! ;)

4. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

5. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

Be sure not to miss this:
    British Tunnel Society Tunnel Lining Design Guide

6. marco mark

marco mark New Member R.I.P.

Venue ? Date & Time ?

7. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

BA posted that 6 months ago mate..

8. Misformer

Misformer New Member

Average weekly spending?

I'm planning to come to London to live for a bit this year - and was wondering what people's views on how much it would cost on average per week - to spend on food, one or two nights out in town, plus public transport/ broadband?
    Also any suggested areas for a creative type to find a place to rent that's close to all amenities and has some vibe outside of the usual tourist places?

9. MarkMc

MarkMc New Member

Well being a student you'll properly want to see a nice theater show here and there? In my last visit to London I found www.broadwaybox.com/london which is a nice site for discount codes to many West End shows.
    I know the TKTS are a bit cheaper but as a student, I'm sure you'll want the save the Q time.

B.T.W - There are great tips in this thread.
    I'll be sure to visit it before my next London Visit :)

10. Bob

Bob Rusesabagina for a nobel

11. giliadams

giliadams New Member

Free things to do in London

There is the South Bank for music and culture. Most days there is free music in the foyer - music from all over the world. In the summer, there is a festival that lasts for a month or so with musicians and performers playing and performing both inside the Festival Hall and outside on the terraces.

You can even dance if the mood takes you, but people are a bit inhibited and it takes a bit to get them moving.

Have a look at their web site or go along and pick up a brochure. They also have an exhibition area for different types of art which is free to look at.

In the summer, there are lots of street festivals and jazz festivals.

The art galleries sometimes have free events.

Once you get going, you will find that there is so much to do that you can't fit it all in.

12. Bristly Pioneer

Bristly Pioneer Anarchitect

Hello Everyone,

Limehouse Town Hall (Space HIjackers HQ amongst many other things) is having an open day this weekend 16th & 17th July.

Admission is FREE, plus a FREE BUFFET LUNCH and FREE prize drawer!!!!

This is to show the public all of the wonderful things that people get up to in the building, there will be websites and displays of peoples work plus a variety of stalls and activities

activities include:

--------------
    Urban Letterboxing - The Space Hijackers
    http://www2.spacehijackers.org/letterboxing

Urban Letterboxing is a old english pastime where you hide secret boxes all over the city and leave clues and riddles for people to search them out. We will have a stall where you can make boxes or search for clues etc.

--------------
    Local History Walk - Helen (Agent Ladybird)

Take yourself on a tour with this facinating amble around Limehouse old and new, looking at the development and seedy past of the area.

--------------
    Textile Workshops - Stitches In Time
    Add a stitch to "Mapping the Past and Present" plus badge making

--------------
    Make Do And Mend - Primal Pictures
    A special film screening exploring the lives of East Londoners

--------------
    Local History talk and Performance - Creative Week
    The life and times of Robert Wedderburn and hte East London Docks

LIMEHOUSE TOWN HALL
    646 COMMERCIAL ROAD
    LONDON
    E14 7HA

DLR - LIMEHOUSE
    BUS 15, 115, 277, D3, D6 & D7

13. basher t

basher t New Member

'Watch This Space'
    South Bank
    24 June - 3 September 2005

Over 150 free riverside performances at the square outside the National Theatre from now until 3 September. It starts tonight with 'The Eye of the Pilot', Addictive TV’s new audiovisual show, projected onto the 23-metre Lyttelton flytower.

www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/events

14. CUMBRIANDRAGON

CUMBRIANDRAGON Banned Banned

Go to the Hari Krishna temple on Sundays 3.30 Soho st. .20 mins of chanting then a massive free meal you can even take a doggy bag out with you :rolleyes:
    The food is really nice and it tastes even better if your skint :D

15. Grego Morales

Grego Morales New Member

Last week I went to the Natural History Museum for the first time in ages and remembered what a wonderful building it was.

16. taochi

taochi Banned Banned

And comfortable for everyone. Just let the trade unions take what they need. They are keeping London running, after all. If salaries can't be increased then maybe they should be offered discounts at supermarkets etc.. Why not? Respect to those who offer their lives in order to see the maintenance of public structure.

17. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

De La Soul freebie

De La Soul are playing a free festie up my local, Lloyd Park in Croydon on 15th July as part of the Croydon Festival which runs over that weekend.

[​IMG]

18. lihp

lihp lets in heavy people

ever heard of a book called "steal this book" by the grandmaster abbie hoffmann (RIP) it's not really legal stuff, but a lot of the petty crime involved you can (i speak from some experience) get away with even in the age of cctv.

here's one that works for me:

buy three tickets to the movies with two friends.
    all three go into the lobby past the ticket checker ppl.
    one walks out again with three tickets. it doesn't matter that they've already been torn off, cuz the film obviously won't start for another 15 minutes or so.
    the person that goes out gives two of the three tickets to two friends outside and all come "back" in after having smoked, gotten popcorn, peed or whatever other excuse you think of.

works well during busy hours, especially effective if the person that brings the tickets out again is easily remembered and can say: but you saw us go out just a minute ago. if the ticket checker remembers one of the people, he/she has already lost the argument.

effect: 5 for the price of three seems better than 5 for 5 right?!?!?!

19. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Rip-offs aside, there are loads of smaller eclectic museums in London that are still free. 24hourmuseum is a good place to look them up. Check this forum for visits arranged over the next few weeks :)

20. ovaltina

ovaltina Well-Known Member

I did this a few year's ago and it's really worth the effort - you get to look around what is really a palace, then go through the commons. I even stroked Tony Blair's seat and said to my friend " that's where tony blair's bum goes"! got a few raised eyebrows from the security people. Then we left the group and went to a bar, there are 18 of them! (this was before 9/11, not sure if security is quite so relaxed these days).

21. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

At the school I work in you have to walk through part of Epping Forest to get to one of the sports fields. :cool:

I like Hackney City Farm - the Sunday pottery classes are £3.50 including making a pot on the wheel.

22. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

A roundup of the museums visited by Urban workshy

All of these have free entry. I'll put another batch up when we've done 'em :)

Horniman Forest Hill
    Geffrye Museum Shoreditch
    Royak Mail Archive Clerkenwell
    National Army Museum Chelsea
    Sir John Soane's Museum and The Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons. Both Holborn. As is the Freemason's Grand Lodge
    Royal Pharmacuetical Society (phone in advance to see the full collection) and Museum of Garden History, south side of Lambeth bridge.
    National Maritime Museum, Greenwich
    Museum of the Order of St John, Bart's Museum, the Guardian Archive in Farringdon/Smithfield. If you're in the area, you must also visit St Bartholomew the Great.
    The Museum of London St Paul's/Barbican (also visit Postman's Park nearby).
    Science Museum and V'n'A, South Kensington
    Imperial War Museum Elephant-ish
    River Police (you need to arrange the visit in advance) and The Wapping Project Wapping
    British Museum Bloomsbury

23. han

han brixton hill hobbit

Nice one Mango! Lots of quirky and unusual ones in that list.

The River Police one was one of the most interesting museum experiences I've ever had (thanks to Urban workshy ;) )! .

What was the Royal Mail Archive like?

24. BillyHoyle

BillyHoyle Banned Banned

Show Tickets

Show-wise, the best place to start would be www.broadwaybox.com/london. Some SWEET discounts on top of listings and reviews. You can also sign up to the newsletter to get updates. Enjoy!

25. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Chess is cheap.

26. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

that is neither cheap nor free and looks shit.

27. hotchiwitchi

hotchiwitchi Active Member

Go and watch a court case at the Old Bailey .Just turn up in the morning or early afternoon and tell them you wish to sit in the public galleryThere are usually about ten cases being heard at any one time so ask the security officer which ones are of interest.Security is very tight so do not take any bag at all as you will be refused entry and be prepared for airport style security.

28. alexandros

alexandros Banned Banned

29. traveler

traveler Member

Sarnies?

What are sarnies? If I ever visit London I might need to know as not to starve to death...

30. jen_the_blonde

jen_the_blonde New Member

Don't suppose it's a school on college place is it?