Cheap, Decent Picture Framing In The Brixton / Streatham Environs

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Dubversion, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Enforced Holiday

as champers swilling patrons of the arts, Picasso Face and I have built up a collection of very lovely prints we want framed. But we're pretty skint. So anyone recommend a picture framer who's not extortionate but also isn't a cackhanded twatmonkey? :)

2. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Oh, I also need the same, so someone give this man a hand :D

When you say 'prints', you mean slightly thicker than standard paper? I've got some that are almost card-like thickness and I have no idea how to frame them!

3. Dubversion

some are proper art prints, limited numbered jobbies, so on proper thick paperstock

4. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

There was a thread about this very recently. I got mine done at the developers next to Argos very cheaply and quickly (although since then some other people have had negative experiences with their actual picture developing).. but loads of places came up on that thread... :)

5. Dubversion

Argos in.......

6. gaijingirl

7. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Brixton Hill by the Telegraph.

My flatmates have some guy come round and collect artwork for framing too, can find out the number if you like.

8. gaijingirl

sorry - Brixton.

9. Dubversion

Sounds bespoke and helpful and professional and therefore pricey ;)

10. gaijingirl

I went to the place right by the White Horse for a quote first but it was well expensive.... probably they do it really beautifully though - it's a kind of African art gallery type place ...

i'm assuming that it's NOT the same place as the one by the Telegraph though...

11. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

There's a framers/gallery at the Camberwell end of Coldharbour Lane... not sure what sort of prices they are but the galleries good :)

Sorry, that wasn't much help :rolleyes: :D - but the gallery is worth checking out.

A little bit further I know, but a cheap and decent framers, where I've had a lot of stuff done is David Mitchell on Loampit Hill (one of the back roads to Lewisham) - 020 8469 0078

12. Dubversion

13. gaijingirl

All these places are mentioned in the thread whose link is provided above - with more info... :mad:

14. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Nah, not knowing my flatmates. Poor trying to be artists... ;)

The one near the White Horse isn't the same one.

15. gaijingirl

ah... oops... erm... :rolleyes: :D

16. Biddlybee

The one in Camberwell has a branch in Streatham too: http://www.gxgallery.com/framing.php

I'm getting a couple of prints back tomorrow that I want framed, so I might pop in there this weekend - will let you know what sort of prices they are after that

17. paulhackett

paulhackett voiced by strother martin

http://www.allframes.co.uk/

not sure how they compare to others, based on a trading estate on se26, do volume work, at lower prices?

18. Dubversion

cool!

trouble is, two of these are really fucking annoying shapes so they won't be cheap :(

here's one

[​IMG]

19. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

I could do with some clip frames - is there anywhre in brixton that does them?

20. Biddlybee

Probably won't be cheap anywhere mate - but with a print that nice you want it decently framed... if you get more than one done at the same time you might be able to bargain with the price a bit more.

Crispy... woolies should do them.

21. brix

brix spinster of this parish

I used the guy near the Telegraph for some framing and he did a great job and was very reasonably priced.

BUT... I don't know if he's gone on holiday but the shop hasn't been open for a couple of days. I looked up the phone number so you can call before you go up - save you a wasted journey, innit!

LL Frames
    224 Brixton Hill
    020 8678 1636

22. gaijingirl

That's the same basic shape as I got for my frames... I had maps of Hvar Island (Croatia) framed - it's very long and thin.... looking at one now it's 12x40.5in - it's not mahogany or anything - but I don't think he charged us more than a tenner for it.. looks fine!

23. Dubversion

a tenner? wow!!!!
    cool :)

24. gaijingirl

For each frame that is (not both) - we were surprised too! But this was about 4 years ago now - so i expect it's more now.

25. Dubversion

even 20-30 would be fine n dandy :)

26. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

There is a guy in Herne Hill by the Station too.

27. han

han brixton hill hobbit

Yep the one on Brixton Hill is excellent. V friendly.

28. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

His name is Tito, he's not on holiday, he was round ours last night picking up some stuff to get framed.

29. gaijingirl

Dub - I'm actually off in a minute to see how much they'll charge me for two frames for some artwork I picked up in Japan last week. They're also the same shape as it happens. Will let you know the outcome.

30. Dubversion

ah cool :)

can't remember the exact measurements but i think it's about the size you mentioned.
    got another similar size, and one about 16.5 x 22"

let me know what he reckons and I might very well go and wave money at him this weekend :)

bless ya