Cheap Chinese tech that is actually quite good

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by dervish, Nov 28, 2018.

1. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

So I have a habit of buying what my wife would call "crap" from Chinese websites. I have bought quite a lot of crap that doesn't work over the years but sometimes there is the odd jewel,

Under cupboard light - £6 - -Got two of these and they are great, they even have magnetic feet so you can move them if you want.

Bluetooth earphones - £27 - I actually got these for about £23 but I've just bought some more for a present, the sound they give out is quite impressive, with a decent battery life and the little box they are incredibly convenient. Really not missing my wired ones at all.

Fitness tracker - £17 - This is simple, basic and cheap but it does most of what the fitbits etc do for far less money. It tracks sleep and steps pretty accurately, it's one real downside is that it's terrible in the sun.

So what tech have you bought cheap that actually turned out to be good?

2. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

I mostly buy cheap Chinese stuff knowing that I will have to repair / modify it :D

3. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Great thread, although not sure it's great for the economy! :D

Bluetooth Headphones, fitness trackers, yep, all as good as the major players, may not have the build quality,and broken English instructions but for the most part these are a small price to pay, literally, for something that was a small price to pay.

How long before this thread descends into Bluetooth headphones are shit, where's my headphone jack etc.

will update with some purchases later, about to leave work!

donkyboy likes this.
  4. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

I was thinking of getting a Mi Band 3 - seems like it has the same issue as the 2 with brightness?
    I bought a Mi Band 2 out of curiosity from Gearbest for about a tenner a while back when my Samsung Gear watch was in for repair. Since then it has had to go back three times for repairs so I imagine I'll be replacing it in 6 months or so when the 2yr warranty has expired.

I quite like Gearbest - had some good xiaomi piston buds when they have been flagged on HUKD as being cheaper than usual - got 4 pairs for about a tenner. More than good and we're all less annoyed when we lose/kill them at that price.

Lots of mad crap for cheap on Gearbest

5. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

How open are those ? Do they cut you off from the outside world ?