Cheap Android phone recommendations

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by treelover, Sep 9, 2015.

1. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

My blackberry 6990 is always playing up, rebooting, going dark, etc, and I always need a phone, can people recommend a decent new phone, no more than around 100 pounds new or best second hand a bit more, I need a robust one, that has a decent sized keyboard for dexterity issues, 3g is ok, only occasional internet use, would like decent camera if poss, etc. did look at the Moto thread.

thanks

2. editor

editor hiraethified

Motorola Moto G - fantastic value

[​IMG]

Motorola Moto G (third-gen 2015) review: An affordable ace - Pocket-lint

and the Motorola Moto E 4G

[​IMG]

Choc and Orang Utan like this.
  3. treelover

what about the moto e? is it as good.

they are going for around 60 pounds on e bay.

4. editor

editor hiraethified

5. treelover

could u say why it is preferable, I only really need a basic one.

could an earlier gen moto g be ok?

6. Celt

Celt Well-Known Member

I went to a Moto G from a blackberry and lived, I have got used to the no keyboard thing and I'm really glad I did.

7. editor

editor hiraethified

If you buy an Android phone you'll almost certainly find yourself using it more and more as its usefulness becomes more apparent - at least that's been the experience of everyone I know who went out to buy a cheap basic smartphone!

So it's worth spending a few bob more to get something a bit more robust and slicker.

8. treelover

9. treelover

Currys doing the Moto E, 2nd gen on E bay for 50 quid, bought one, going fast,

editor likes this.
  10. treelover

Been d/l appps, can't believe the access they want, can it be refused and still gain the app?

11. editor

editor hiraethified

There's usually a good reason for the various permissions requested by popular, mainstream apps from trusted devs - and sometimes that isn't always readily apparent: What some of those scary application permissions mean

12. treelover

I only want a keyboard, both swipe and swiftkey, want my sms details, personal info, d/ling them also give a warning they will have possible access to bank card info, why does a keyboard app etc need to know who I have emailed, etc?,

are you being a bit too sanguine?

Do you design apps!

tx for the link though

13. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Basically, a keyboard has access to everything. How do you type your password without a keyboard? Exactly.

14. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

I'm fairly cautious when giving apps permissions and my approach is if it looks iffy, don't let it. This does sometimes mean you can't use the app.

I wouldn't accept any app seeing e-mails, contacts or text messages. Bank card details also no - any apps I buy are either billed to my mobile bill directly or to my credit card via Amazon.

Location can be iffy too - I generally say no, unless it is a mapping app which needs it to work.

It is a good idea to check how much data each app is using in the background - especially when you're not using it.

15. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

In the case of Swiftkey it builds up it's prediction engine by scanning how you construct sentances in texts and emails. Therefore to be able to do that it needs access to your emails and texts.

16. treelover

But, of course it utilises the information 'for other purposes'

17. Epona

Epona Down with battered parsnips

My phone is on the blink too, I have a feeling though that I will inherit my OH's Blackberry and he will get himself something better.

My only requirement of a phone is that I can send and receive texts and that it has a timer so I can cook my rice to perfection. (Am hard of hearing, so don't actually use it for speech).

18. Mr Moose

Mr Moose What the hell are we supposed to tell the kids?

Samsung Galaxy S3 mini is still a good phone (my son likes his) and probably available for £100. The S4 mini will be faster for another 50 odd quid.

19. Epona

Epona Down with battered parsnips

I currently have the Samsung GT-E2550 which I think was £20 or thereabouts, I am actually quite fond of it, but like my Samsung HDDs, it has not lasted as long as I would have hoped :mad:

20. dlx1

dlx1 Well-Known Member

My phone keeps cutting off or shutting down have done factory reset still same.
    So I have been looking at Elephone P7000 from China
    These is a EU warehouse

Has anyone got one these?
    Any good Phone with 3gb this cheap.

I have bout bike lights before from China probable made in same factory but stats

. Display: 5.5inch IPS, 1920 x 1080pixels
    • SIM card: Dual SIM card dual standby, Standard SIM+ Micro SIM
    • CPU: MediaTek MT6752 64bit 1.7GHz octa-core high-speed processing platform
    • GPU: ARM MALI-T760
    • Bluetooth: 4.0
    • Camera: Back-13MP, front-5.0MP
    • RAM+ROM: 3GB+16GB
    • Support Gravity/Light/Compass/Proximity Sensing System
    • GPS/Wifi/FM/MP3/MP4 Function Supported

21. dlx1

dlx1 Well-Known Member

Anyone bout a phone from bestbuy before?

Ta

22. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

23. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

They only exist in the US as far as I'm aware. They're a kind of Dixons equivalent so quite a big name, relatively trustworthy etc.

dlx1 likes this.
  24. dlx1

dlx1 Well-Known Member

Sorry
    I ment bestgear
    gearbest.com

Looking at there phones

25. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Do you mean Gear Beast? www.gearbest.com

oh you edited.

No. Sorry :D

26. dlx1

dlx1 Well-Known Member

mm
    Yes

27. dlx1

dlx1 Well-Known Member

Can't edit!
    Have ordered P8000, 10 - 15 days delivery.

28. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

29. Pgd

Pgd Active Member

Has anyone heard of (or is considering buying) the WileyFox Swift? (https://www.wileyfox.com/swift/) I need a new phone, was considering a 2nd-gen Moto G, but this looks like something a little bit different (e.g. small UK company, CyanogenMod). Anyone have any background on these guys?

30. Pgd

Pgd Active Member

So I went and got one. In terms of specs it's probably closer to the 3rd Gen than the 2nd Gen Moto G, but at the price (£130) of the 2nd Gen. Had it for a week now, pretty pleased so far. Cyanogen's PrivacyGuard might be of interest to treelover ?

The main problem people are reporting, and which I agree with, is the unusually deep-set USB socket. Standard cables only fit loosely, while the supplied cable, which fits firmly, has a slightly longer exposed metal connector. I may have to take a knife to a couple of my existing cables. BUT also... the reason I needed a new phone was that my old one's USB socket stopped responding (to chargers, PC connections, anything). On a whim I connected it with the WileyFox cable and... holy resurrected phone Batman! So, assuming it continues to work, I've now got a spare (and still fairly sprightly) phone. I was thinking maybe taking my old one out & about and saving my new one for home, at least until Christmas. (Techie types: would there be any long-term advantage in simply taking the battery out of the WileyFox in this case?)

So I'm happy enough with the handset, but I'm still a little nervous about the company... their main customer-facing portal seems to be their FB page, and they're not great at responding. People are noticing little niggles about the design (e.g. the USB thing) and asking questions, and getting twitchy when no response is forthcoming. Also more general questions about future plans, accessories etc. For a company shouting about their London-based operation, it's not a great look...

ETA: for a while there was an additional FB page called "WileyFox customer service" or similar which seemed to be a troll account (it gave hilariously blunt responses) and has now been shut down... far too late if it was a genuine troll, as PR damage has definitely been done...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    fractionMan likes this.