Chasing pink

Discussion in 'general sports' started by hash tag, May 1, 2018.

1. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I gather Chaves had another good day again.

2. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

I see Ned Boulting has raised the question as to whether or not Froome is really targeting this..

I'm of the opinion he wouldn't have entered unless he was planning to win it, regardless of the money.

3. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Will he not remain as Yates' super-domestique as long as the latter is in pink?

I finally got around to watching the highlights. As far as I can tell, Quest has nothing else outside generic filler in its schedules, apart from Grand Tour highlights once a year.

4. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

The Quest coverage is pretty awful - I've recorded it all, as I don't really have time to watch the stages properly for this one.. but watching highlights is a bit like one-day cricket compared to a test match.

5. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

Rest day tomorrow, followed by four pretty easy stages. I reckon he's come in undercooked same as last year's tour, so if he can stay healthy I would write him off just yet.*

Agreed. He's looking at the giro-tour double so, as above, has come in underdone. He's also allegedly been riding like a demon over winter trying to replicate vuelta conditions at part of gathering supporting evidence for his upcoming hearings. There's every chance he's just an old guy starting to feel the racing miles catch up with him.

Edit: though I'm not about to put money on him or owt, obvs.

6. The Boy

Fwiw, I think mitchelton-scott are looking pretty good right now. Saturday's stage will cut out some more deadwood, and there's every chance it's Yates, chaves, pinot, dumoulin and one or two others left in the hunt. If they both stay healthy the latter two are in a good position to work over anyone who tries to bring the fight to them.

7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Sounds like chaves has been dropped and having a mare :(

8. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Yep, blown the stage open as the peloton have put the hammer down as a result and pretty much stopped the breakaway.

9. beesonthewhatnow

150km TT for Tony Martin awaits :hmm: :D

hash tag likes this.
  10. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Looks like today's the day that Chaves blew it. Just reporting he has a sore throat.

11. The Boy

Down 4 minutes for Chavez. Quickstep have sat up and the gap balloons.

Always funny watching GC Contenders sprinting for bonifications.

12. beesonthewhatnow

8.5 minutes down now.

13. The Boy

Tom d down/mechanical in the descent 18k from the end.

14. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Froomey had a better day I gather, but what a mare for chaves. Was surprised nearly all the team stayed back for him rather than support Yates. Still, they have saved their legs to support Yates tomorrow.

15. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

The roads today are in a terrible state. The pictures are all over the place. It's quite uncomfortable to watch at times.

16. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

After a rest day you say?

17. beesonthewhatnow

Awesome stuff from Yates there. Lead of 47secs. It's between him and Dumoulin now.

Froome another +40, any hope he had is gone.

18. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

On a flatish stage too, he's off the juice!

19. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

The whole squad apart from Bernal seem to have been this season.

20. beesonthewhatnow

45kmh average speed for that stage.

I could do that, easy.

On the downhill bits.

21. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

It's pretty obvious that Sky have had to moderate their "program".

twistedAM likes this.
  22. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Looks like a straightforward cippolini type of day, today, except, there is rain on the horizon with 45k to go.

23. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Physic or what...2 minutes later and super Mario himself pops up on my screen talking about his world championship win and Italian sprinters :thumbs:

24. beesonthewhatnow

Awesome display of power from Bennett at the end today, the difference in speed between a merely fast rider and a proper sprinter is immense.

25. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

Yeah it was jaw dropping. A great stage too, at least the last 25 km of it. In fact it’s been a great Giro so far. It’s been a few years since the first dozen stages of a GT were this entertaining.

26. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

It's really helped by not being dominated by a single team likecthe tour often is. And, we still have the best to come.

27. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

Tomorrow could be amazing

28. beesonthewhatnow

Will be interesting to see who cracks.

They’ll be using compact chainsets and 11-32 cassettes, that’s how bad it is :D

29. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Great day today. Great boost to Froomes moral I'm sure. Not sure how realistic pink is for him though....looks very happy in the interview.

Badgers likes this.
  30. beesonthewhatnow

Great stuff, Dumoulin looking like the race is his now.