1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charles Haller Street SW2 - who named after?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by teddave, May 18, 2017.

1. teddave

teddave Well-Known Member

Hi Urban

Does anybody know who Charles Haller Street on the Cressingham Estate is named after - the web doesn't have a clue.

Google Maps

tks folks
    teddave

2. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Charles Haller perhaps?

Reiabuzz, Pickman's model and marty21 like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is a tough one!

Pickman's model and teddave like this.
  4. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Don't tell him Pike.

ATOMIC SUPLEX likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A Charles Haller wrote the melody to "Somewhere in dear England" in 1940.

Catalog of Copyright Entries

And, of course, David Charles Haller is the son of Professor X

6. teddave

Tks Ed

Yes, between the nerdy comix chat and cunx estate agents its hard to get anything useful. I did clock what I took to be a musician and using the same internet as you most likely have I'm seeing a registration in NY for that tune. It's a weird one...

Maybe another line of enquiry would be whose responsible for the naming of streets at Lambeth. Any takers for that one?

7. teddave

editor likes this.
  8. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

It's not on Cressingham Gardens, it's on Brockwell Gate, a bit further down toward Brixton.

9. teddave

Ah! Yr double down right V Panda, weirdly, that changes everything as it happened in much more recent time (past fifteen years).

Thank you.

10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

You may want to go to the London metropolitan archives and consult any street naming files they have, if Lambeth archives can't help

11. teddave

Tks Pickman - Lambeth archive suggest I visit them but its so recent it now seems like somebody would know hereabouts...

Pickman's model likes this.
  12. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Might be in council minutes, maybe housing committee

It may be they do have the answer but not the time to research it for you, why not ask again whether they can suggest any way for you to proceed?

13. teddave

Again tks Pickman... that it's most likely C21st decision suggest it's outside of my interest but I'd love to know who Mr Haller was? I shall take a walk up there tonight to see what Charles Haller Street looks like I've been corrected by V/Panda...