Charity Shop Bargains

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by QueenOfGoths, Sep 28, 2017.

1. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

I am a great lover of charity shops, today got these from the Helen Douglas House Shop

£2.00 for the book, £0.50 for the crayons and £0.50 for the plastic money set.

So if anyone else would like to share their bargains I'd be interested to see!

CharityShop.jpg

miss direct, 5t3IIa, marty21 and 3 others like this.
  2. Wilf

Wilf Aghast.

Sorry, no pics, but I get just about all my novels from charity shops (or library). Can't believe I used to buy full priced novels.

3. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Got 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill' for a quid from my local Red Cross shop.

Thoroughly enjoyed listening to it on the way home. I had it on cassette years ago and hadn't listened to it for ages - I'd forgotten how good it is.

If you still use CDs (as I do, because I listen to them mainly in the car) charity shops are really worth a look as so many people appear to be digitising their record collections.

4. [​IMG]

got thi at the weekend -mid 80s slab of photobook - all pics taken on one day in the mid 80's- nice retro read - £3

petee, QueenOfGoths and Idris2002 like this.
  5. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Music wise, Crazy Horses by the Osmonds, years ago, for 10p, Believe me it is a classic - years ahead of its time.
    and more recently, Hanging Around by the Leighton Buzzards on green vinyl for 50p! Shame I haven't got a record player. Angelic Upstarts' BBC Sessions on CD for £1 was a result too.

I have to avoid the Oxfam Music and Bookshops in Reading - nothing's a bargain there, and it always costs me a fortune going in there.

Who was it on here who got a pair of Dr Martens 1460s for a tenner?

6. and this

clok.jpg

40 cm sized Czech 1960's Pragotronic factory / office clock in bakelite - £10

possible the best thing i have found for years

7. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

There are rich pickings to be had with charity shop cds - they are getting cheaper as the proper records rocket in price :hmm: :D

Thirty five years of charity shop shopping. I can scan a bookshelf in seconds :D I spent an hour at this tumblr last night, because it reminded me of charity shopping in the mid 1980s :oops: :facepalm:

8. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

So many things really but will go for intact board games for being great bargains. Have hosted many a board game night with charity shops specials such as 'play your cards right' , 'blockbusters' , 'pictionary' and my own fave 'cats mansion'.

I used to buy 5 vhs films for £1 (around 2008 onwards!) and watched tons of films that I wouldn't normally than take the films back and buy a new batch. This weekend I will be donating 2 bags of CDs & a bag of DVDs to my local hospice charity shop.

May Kasahara and QueenOfGoths like this.
  9. .

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  10. mx wcfc

Charity shop VHS tapes were great when my daughter was little, but they don't even take them anymore - it's such a waste - I've taken a pile to the recycling centre and even they don't try to sell them - they just go straight in the energy recovery skip.

I have given Oxfam hundreds of old 2000ADs (comics) recently - the guy was really grateful - but they don't sell on ebay at all. I do hope they actually sell them.

11. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Which branch? :hmm:

12. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I bet he was. Those babies are going back to his private collection

DaveCinzano likes this.
  13. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

Beckenham is bare good for Charity shops, if ya live a tram or short train ride away. I occasionally go there with an empty rucksack and come back with it filled, with books mainly.

ska invita likes this.
  14. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

I like the going to them in the posher bits of London. I've got a couple of Paul Smith shirts, Diesel jeans and other clobber that Id never fork out for new. Nice clothes for the kids too.

15. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

I've bought loads of clothes over the years from charity shops but I generally don't buy shoes from them as they're usually in poor condition or the wrong size. However, these brogues were an exception and probably the best bargain I've ever had - they were practically brand new (worn once maybe) and were my size. Lovely shoes, all leather, a name brand, they cost me £20 - they would've cost £125 new at the time, which was 8 years ago.

IMG_4411.JPG

16. petee

petee i'm spartacus

lots of thrift shops in my neighborhood. i browse the tie racks. i also donate to them, and we in the states get a tax break for doing so.

17. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

QueenOfGoths likes this.
  18. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Got Jurassic World DVD for an extortionate £1.25 but there's never anything on telly :mad: Also got a weird green and gold mug :thumbs:

Badgers and QueenOfGoths like this.
  19. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

These can be found in almost every charity shop in Iceland. New they cost around 150GBP (or more if its an off piste design or color). Some new ones are even made in China with Icelandic wool. The Handknitting Association is about the only place guaranteed to have been knitted by hand, by a person here. The charity shops have ones that might be new or almost new or to my mind old and already handed down to more than one person. You can get them for around 30GBP. These and swimming pool entry prices are the only two bargain commodities to be found in Iceland.

Attached Files:

• lop.jpg
      lop.jpg
      File size:
      160.9 KB
      Views:
  20. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

How much for an adult swim in Iceland, catinthehat?

21. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

My best purchase, and its a big boast. £10 silver trinket, black with age but obvious quality. After cleaning and research, made by a famous jeweller in about 1840, value of an identical one about a grand.

Badgers, crossthebreeze, Wilf and 5 others like this.
  22. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

At our nearest pool it works out at 500ISK (about 4.50gbp) if you buy a strip of tickets - its more if you go for a one off but by Iceland standards anything under 10 quid is a bargain. A small packet of bacon is over 10 quid for comparison. Our local pool has five hot tubs, two saunas, indoor pool, outdoor pool, childrens pool, ice barrel etc all in the price and you can stay from 7am to 10am. Sometimes they have a free day or special events like outdoor films shown to watch while you are in the pool. The pool here fills the role of the pub in the UK in terms of people meeting up, chatting etc but for all ages.

crossthebreeze and 5t3IIa like this.
  23. campanula

campanula plant a seed

I had a friend who worked in the Lopi factory at Alafoss...have knitted loads of them - they are easy and fast. Lopi wool is surprisingly good value and now comes in better colours than the griege/brown/drab colours of undyed sheep.

24. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

Couple of books and a couple of key rings/bag charms by Smiggle from Cancer Research for £2.00 today

CS1.jpg

crossthebreeze likes this.
  25. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I was surprised to find it in a wool store here for $6 a skein.

26. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Yep, sounds about right. My record is around 10 days for a sweater but I could probably knock one out in a week with a bit more application - they are itchy though...and not recommended for hats or scarves. Wool is expensive enough that I keep an eye open for knitted jumpers and will go to the effort of washing and unravelling...but it is getting harder to find froggable pure wool (as opposed to acrylic, machine knitted things). I have a frighteningly large wool stash after 50 years of knitting...tricky because of so many different gauges and often very small amounts but you know...hoarding.

27. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Is that the one by the river between the Oracle and the hospital? I'm sure I got a reasonable proportion of my Fall collection in there, and maybe a few Enos.

28. mx wcfc

It's not quite by the river, but near it - on Duke St. That reminds me, I must do a sweep tomorrow lunchtime, as we are moving office this weekend.
    Oddly, many of my Fall CDs came from there too.

29. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

More of a dumpster dive than a charity shop thing, but I got three boxes of fancy green tea, a tin of assorted Bigalow tea flavors, and a Bigalow tea dispenser for free. A co-worker was cleaning out her desk and threw it my way.

[​IMG]

QueenOfGoths likes this.
  30. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

That is odd, because I would have thought the Fall are a band you stick with, although they may have vinylised, digitised or, erm, died.

Yes, that's the shop I'm thinking of. I only said near the hospital because I walked past it on my way to work at the hospital a few years ago. I presume you know The Sound Machine too? If not, Harris Arcade off Friar Street.

UrbaneFox likes this.