Charity shop/ 2nd hand gems

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by muvva, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Bought an old GE waffle iron. It has to be about 60 years old. It has a bakelite panel on the front and the old-style insulated cord. I only paid 50 cents for it and it works quite well. I bought it just because it's interesting junk. The old bakelite can be collectible, maybe I can resell it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    Greebo likes this.
  2. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Maybe you can have superlative waffles till the end of your days.

Greebo and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  3. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Just got a brilliant haul for £17. Two kitchen chairs with woven seaty bits, an orange men's hoody for the lounging in, a lovely bright paisley men's shirt and a dark green/bottle green/white brushed cotton checked shirt (all for me, obviously), a big glass mosaicy tealight holder to match the one I've got at home, and a pair of black and gold Lonsdale boxing boots. I was after boots for gigs and that I could drive in, cos my baseball boots are too thin for winter, plus they've got rips in them now so not ideal. These look ace!

I expect one of the fashionistas is gonna come along and tell me that Lonsdale boots are Totally Stupid and I'll look like a twat in them. Well, I always look like a twat, but now I'll have comfy feet too.

4. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

White with black dots Florence and Fred going out top with ruffled sleeves, £2.99.

Greebo likes this.
  5. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

Gold Lonsdale boots sound pretty fly soj. Pix?

sojourner likes this.
  6. sojourner

Greebo likes this.
  7. Yuwipi Woman

I envy people who rock their own style. I do the standard all black/slightly annoyed/art school look. I've been out of art school 29 years.:D

8. 8115

I got a brand new blue and white striped Breton sailor top, I think it's one of the proper ones. Gonna enjoy wearing it in.

muvva and Greebo like this.
  9. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Yes I'm a black or grey person too but I suppose that is OUR style ;)

Greebo, sojourner and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  10. monsterbunny

monsterbunny Well-Known Member

Part moan, part boast. I lugged a bag with eight pairs of selvedge jeans, four shirts and two jackets to a charity shop and the assistant looked sniffily at them and told me that she couldn't do much with them because they were too faded! :facepalm::facepalm::rolleyes: They were all top Japanese brands that I no longer wore but couldn't be arsed eBaying.

Anyway on the way home I drove past a vintage clothes shop and popped in on the off chance they might take them. They did and gave me £250! Result. :D

innit, BassJunkie, mx wcfc and 16 others like this.
  11. 8115

Purple with white flowers Florence and Fred Jersey cotton dress, that's my Xmas day dress sorted.
    Denim look with brown faux leather piping lined skirt, it's fugly but I like it.

muvva and Greebo like this.
  12. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

Marks n Spark's Italian style wool jacket for a fiver from Sally Anne's.
    Well chuffed.

Attached Files:

Greebo, muvva and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  13. 8115

Nearly new condition green Levis parka of the style that I've been lusting after for ages only nicer if possible. Plus a Toots and the Maytals album.

14. May Kasahara

May Kasahara thoughts start with a laser sound

I posted about this on the latest purchases thread,but I got a gorgeous dark grey Debenhams coat from the local hospice shop, 70% wool/10% cashmere, looks like new and fits perfectly, for £10. So chuffed, I never find good stuff usually (and I really needed a new coat!)

sojourner, Voley, Rebelda and 4 others like this.
  15. sojourner

Am currently dressed in an awesome goldeny beige Jacques Vert blazer that I got for £7 from Oxfam Online. Probably worth about £150 new :thumbs: Very fucking smart!

geminisnake, muvva, Voley and 2 others like this.
  16. muvva

muvva Well-Known Member

IMG_0282.JPG BIG bag of clothes for the small boy. Over 20 tshirts, jeans, shorts, hoodies and onesies, from a generous neighbour :thumbs:

geminisnake and May Kasahara like this.
  17. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

I bought a pair of suede winter boots for my daughter, LK Bennetts, £3, if she doesn't like them they'll get offered up on facebook. They're too big for me :(

18. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

You should take it back. 20% of it is missing.

19. May Kasahara

That's fine, I'm short.

5t3IIa, RubyToogood, Rebelda and 2 others like this.
  20. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

21. sojourner

Pair of brown suede converse high rise, in size 5.5 (my ACTUAL size, which I NEVER get in ANYTHING!) for £4.99

Well made up

Me76 likes this.
  22. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Pair of adidas black sneakers with pink soles, about 14-15 quid and in really good shape.

Don't want to wear them too much, as they are prized shoeware currently...

23. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

I've had a solid stream of quality shit lately: in the last week alone (and it hasn't been a particularly unusual week), I've had:

Katharine hamnett raincoat for £1.50
    Black suede Clark's originals brothel creepers for £3
    Grey wool/cashmere blend Tommy Hilfiger sweatshirt for £2.50
    A pair of skinny black Edwin jeans for £4
    Black kickers shoes for Martha for £2
    Blue/grey houndstooth wool Ted baker jumper for Mrs b for £3
    White Adidas superstars for Mrs b for £4

ringo and blossie33 like this.
  24. Yuwipi Woman

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    sojourner, Idris2002, Cloo and 3 others like this.
  25. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

I was looking vaguely for a 20ish dress in local charity shops as I have a Gatsby-themed party coming up. And I stumble across a silk Dries van Noten shift dress, in my size, for £6.95. Probably not suitable for the party (well might pass) but a rather nice dress and I was damn well buying it. Will need to wear with very high heels or possibly have it shortened slightly to work best, as in true Dries style it's deliberately quite voluminous, though shortening might be tricky with silk

[​IMG]

26. Yuwipi Woman

That is gorgeous, Cloo.

27. May Kasahara

I stopped in a chazzer by Wandsworth Common today and bought a dark teal Cos merino jumper for ten quid and a blue and green striped Clements Ribeiro cashmere cardi for £25.

Found a lovely hunting style blazer in there but inevitably it was just slightly too small :rolleyes:

Shop stock was labeltastic - Isabel Marant, DVF, Valentino. Loads of it was horrible though :D

Cloo likes this.
  28. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

It is, I tried it again with heels and it worked fine without having to shorten in wear super-high shoes.

May Kasahara The most designer-y Oxfam ever used to be off King's Road but it's not there anymore.