Charity shop/ 2nd hand gems

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by muvva, Mar 14, 2012.

1. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

Raspberry pink poloneck from the charity shop heaven that is West Wickham. It's had the care label cut out, annoyingly, so I can't tell what it's made of but it feels nice (which probably means it's 100% acrylic). The brand label just says G.W.

I thought it would come in handy for wearing under other things when it gets cold.

muvva and Greebo like this.
  2. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Black Movado Museum watch (most likely a decent knock-off) from the Sally Army. I don't really care if its real. I've always loved the style, but couldn't afford one. I took it to a jeweler and had a new battery put in. The lady said "nice watch" when she gave it back to me. :D

Greebo likes this.
  3. toggle

toggle wobbly

a 5 foot long welsh dresser that fits very nicely into our kitchen and makes up for the fact there are about half the number of built in cupboards you expect in a decent size kitchen. £110 including delivery

Ceej, Shirl and Greebo like this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I bought an Anvil t-shirt for £3 and it has been muchly admired :)

moose, ATOMIC SUPLEX and Greebo like this.
  5. Yuwipi Woman

1 pair of leather motorcycle boots
    1 black silk tank with black rosette on the front -
    1 brown silk tank
    1 pair black lycra motorcycle pants
    1 black lace cardigan

I got the entire list for $22. Now I have to go home and throw out five items.

6. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Nice outfit!

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  7. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

2 x vests and a denim miniskirt :)

Greebo likes this.
  8. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Mint dreaming of me 7inch - 20p
    £8 on discogs.

Greebo likes this.
  9. muvva

muvva Well-Known Member

Some boots I saw ages ago on La Redoute, £89 for faux suede ( I kid u not)... eBay. £4.99 :))

Me76 likes this.
  10. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I got a cashmere jumper for £25 from a vintage shop near me recently. I love it, it fits like a dream and it's lovey and warm.

Ceej and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  11. Yuwipi Woman

Not from a charity shop, but I did find something in the garbage. I was given some oil paints last week. I'm mostly an acrylic painter, but oils sounded good for a change. I have since decided that I needed a box to keep them in. This morning I found a nice wooden box that someone had used for sewing notions on top of a heap of garbage. Instant pochade box.

Ceej, UrbaneFox, muvva and 4 others like this.
  12. Yuwipi Woman

I've been spending too much money. I weeded out two bags of junk, but after I put them the donation bin, I made the mistake of going into the shop. I found one of those vintage black crinkly coats, a chocolate silk robe with cream lace, silk pajama bottoms, and a shear gold camisole. I'll be lounging in style when they turn my heat off for non-payment. :D

13. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

I got one for £1.99!! God it is soooo warm and soft :cool::cool:

14. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

*IS MASSiVELY JEALOUS* :mad:

£1.99 super bargain :cool::cool:

Ceej, sojourner and Greebo like this.
  15. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Half a dozen cotton shirts, for less than one of them would have cost brand new. This is just as well because they're going to get quite badly damaged.

Ceej and muvva like this.
  16. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

I didn't absolutely need a new coat this winter, but the one worn for the last two winters is a bit wide on the shoulders. Anyway, after halfheartedly trawling the net, plus wherever I was passing, I found something which will do for now, after a bit of work.

Black knee length, slightly sueded microfibre. Enough design ease to allow for the bulk of a dress under it. The sleeves need taking up, but there's enough unlined sleeve to get away with that, and the pockets need redoing (no big deal). No hood, but I hardly ever cover my head anyway. The sleeves are wide enough to allow for winter layers, and it hangs well. Not bad for £10.

17. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

picture frame with horrid print for £6 - I wanted the frame for soemthing and is clip off back. a bit of research on the print ands it seems they sell for 300 quids. stuck it on ebay.if it comes in, will give the difference ( minis fees blates ) back to the charity shop

cesare, polly, monsterbunny and 3 others like this.
  18. 8115

Brown patterned nearly brand new principles jersey crossover top, fasteningless blue and white knitted cardigan coat. And best of all, they go together :)

Greebo likes this.
  19. campanula

campanula plant a seed

This week, long wool Meindl socks, a pair of gorgeous Maxmara wool pinstripe trousers, purple cashmere jumper, Pringle merino jumper for sweetheart and a really flattering black mohair/silk/alpaca jumper (I was on the hunt for warm things). Although most charity shops are quite knowing regarding designer labels, they often let obscure labels slip under the radar and fail to consider the materials so polyester and acrylic will be as expensive as merino or silk: bargains are still to be had.

UrbaneFox, cesare and Greebo like this.
  20. toggle

toggle wobbly

popped in for a cheap canvas handbag for the lass, £1 and walked out with a hat, from the local designer whose work I was wearing that day, £2. like this only slightly less pointy. http://saltcellarhats.co.uk/squirls.html

Greebo and campanula like this.
  21. Nancy_Winks

Nancy_Winks Well-Known Member

That's a cool hat. I likes!

Greebo and toggle like this.
  22. chainsawjob

chainsawjob Kipping in the dunes

Greebo likes this.
  23. 8115

Mud green retro slogan t shirt (red slogan saying Estral Palms Flyers Verona Beach :)) and orange Coast vest top.

Greebo likes this.
  24. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Have regular trawls of "local" CS - very good for jeans, teeshirts and mugs. Always need mugs as the workshop breaks about one every couple of weeks (put like that because none of them will own up to be the clumsy g*t wot smashed the handle off my lifeboat mug just after the last bank holiday when I was away looking after me dad).
    Books are always looked at, either CS or secondhand places - often find something. At the rate I read, it is about the only way I can keep up with myself.

25. boohoo

boohoo No.

1959s London map A-z type book for 50p - I know it's not clothes but it was a good find. :D

26. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

[​IMG]

B)

Car booties. Nearly new Dr's for £15.

Yuwipi Woman and muvva like this.
  27. muvva

muvva Well-Known Member

Knee high leather heeled boots, brand new, £25.

28. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

The other week. I bought a Bruichladdich water jug made on Islay for £1.99. Sold it on eBay for £31 :oops:

29. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

Where from? How much? Pic?

30. toggle

toggle wobbly

I bought a picture for a couple of quid, cause the frame was the right size for something i wanted and youngest asked for the picture of the cat i was in a hurry and just wanted a frame, yeah ok hun. got it home and had a proper look. it's a print of this:

[​IMG]

which is a not quite to my taste, but madamme loves it and it is probably worth leaving it in the frame, so I need to buy another frame.

and I also picked up a couple of quite nice watercolours done to look like botanical illustrations for similar cost.

brand new per una cord skirt for me for 3.50. karen millen skirt for middle lass for 6 quid, no pic but it's a pencil skirt with an embroidered overlay that isn't entirely dissimilar to this.

[​IMG]

and loads of little bits and pieces.

Greebo and Yuwipi Woman like this.