Charity shop/ 2nd hand gems

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by muvva, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

While out stocking up on loo roll etc for VP's very wet cold, I went into the nearest charity shop.

Bought a black denim Dorothy Perkins mini, so new that the dressing hadn't been washed out, for £3. Come to think of it, given that it's mini length on me, it was probably sold as a micro. Anyway, it's a size 16 - vanity sizing FTW. :cool:

2. zoooo

zoooo zero tolerance for walkers

Am planning a look through every charity shop in town tomorrow. (I think there are 14!) Haven't looked in them for months and months so am rather excited.
    Will probably come home with nothing. :)

3. Greebo

dressback.jpg dressfront.jpg
    Yesssssss! Yesterday on the way back from a somewhat disappointing pattern and fabric hunt, I dropped into Traid.

One emerald green (not nearly as bluey green as it looks in the photos) very drapey viscose jersey tunic/dress, far cheaper than I seem to remember seeing it priced when it was new. It just happens to be something which I could quite happily wear to death.

4. zoooo

Ooh nice. I do love a bit of drapeage on a dress. Great colour too.

I found a (not real leather) leather jacket in a charity shop. But it stinks of Febreze. I'm thinking of putting it through the washing machine - I don't know what will happen in there but if it all goes wrong it's only a waste of £2.50.

Greebo likes this.
  5. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

Does it suit him?

6. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

1st editions, hardback of Lydons autobiog and Alexie Sayles Barcelona Plates - the Salye one is a gem of vitriol

a giacometti etching

a match worn hartson Wimbledon shirt

( I am an expert at charity shop purchases, but if I get soemthing decent, I always bung them a few quid online )

Greebo likes this.
  7. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

8. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Nice boobage! :)

That dress really suits you.

9. Greebo

He likes it on me, so yes in a way it does suit VP. :p
    Thanks. More to the point, just for once the length is also okay on me. :D

10. zenie

zenie >^^<

Noooo you can't wash pleather. :D air it outside for a few days....

I am on the hunt for a white dress that can be customised. :hmm:

11. zoooo

Oh bugger. :)
    What would happen to it if I did wash it? Would it fall apart, or go a funny colour, or melt or something?
    I've had it hanging up in the spare room for days, but I shall try outside and see if that works.

12. Greebo

You risk abrading the surface of the fake leather, making it peel off in patches. You might get away with very gently handwashing it with non bio (better still, the soap/detergent for wool and silk), but that's more or less all.

zoooo likes this.
  13. zoooo

Curses!

14. Greebo

You might also get away with washing it under a warm (not hot) shower with a soft sponge or flannel and a bit of shower gel or baby shampoo.

If you've already got the jacket in the washing machine, you might get away with it once.

15. zoooo

I almost machine washed it today, but I came here just in time. I'll give it an outdoor airing, and then try a bit of a hand wash.

Greebo likes this.
  16. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

The only thing I buy from charity shops really is books, they are always such good value, one place just asks for 10p per book, I would pay double that without complaining, in fact I would pay a lot more.

17. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I'm surprised that I haven't posted on this thread. I ran the charity shops in England and Wales for a national charity and the number of gems I came across is astonishing. Not all from the charity I worked for as I used to check out the competition weekly and found bargains on my travels. My very best best ever gem was possibly my bauhaus lamp or the Issey Miyake wind coat or the Ford Fiesta that had never been driven in 4th gear :D

I no longer have the Fiesta or the Issey Miyake but I'll never part with the bauhaus lamp :)

zenie, weltweit and Greebo like this.
  18. zenie

zenie >^^<

I am gutted I didn't pickup a cropped leather jacket in Barbados the other day :( almost bought a pair of cow hoof shoes for 20 quid but had a word with myself :(

The charity shops in London don't seem to have much electricals Shirl...

Ooh I did get some dead people's jewellery from the sisters mission the other day, the necklace has 'made in England'' on the clasp :cool:

Greebo likes this.
  19. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I think there is some regulation about selling electrical goods, they often have notices to say they can't accept them as donations.

20. Greebo

There is - electrical goods have to be tested and certified as safe by a qualified electrician. Guess what? A lot of them (entirely understandably) prefer not to spend their free time doing more of their usual work but unpaid.

blossie33 likes this.
  21. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Not true in my experience. Many electricians who do PAT testing will test goods donated to charity shops but they charge to do it. I don't think any charity would really trust anyone doing it for free. :) Some charities choose not to sell electrical goods because they aren't as straightforward as selling clothes and bric-a-brac.

22. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

I bought a Monsoon angora jumper yesterday for £5. It's very similar in colour to Greebo's dress. It's soft and lovely :)

Greebo, 8115 and toggle like this.
  23. maya

maya timewasting fool (in every universe)

I LOVE charity shops, fleamarkets, garage sales... You name it. I am there. :)

But TBH I have to restrain myself a bit whenever I pop in "just to look around" my favourite bargain haunts, since i've went a bit over the top with compulsive collecting/borderline hoarding tendencies in the past...

Still, I always manage to drag home at least a couple of findings each time- But, new rule: One item in means two items out! No exceptions... Whether that'll really help things (magpie for life!) in the long run or not, I've no idea... But at least I've tried! :D

Selected from the last few months score:

- 1 x shiny, almost unworn ladies parka, size small (a perfect fit for me, for once- the shops are always sold out re: this size)-- win! :cool:
    - 1 x unusual, clunky-but-elegant scandinavian looking pottery vase w/ rim formed like a flower-- another useless item, but very very pretty... :oops:
    - 5 x old vinyl records, including 1950s "dance craze" singles with suitably "ethnic" covers (men in sombreros, lovely senoritas... etc.)
    - 2 x matching 1970s coffee mugs, nice colourful print/pattern-- will have to be careful in the future, because these kind of things are the stuff I just scoop up without thinking, and noone ever needs that many mugs, can't use them all- but sometimes they just look sooo pretty...
    - 6 x comic books: western stories, the walking dead 1-4, 2000 AD, calvin and hobbes, etc.
    - "Horror writers A- Z", book from the 70s

Okay, I probably already need to get rid of some more stuff now... Too many new finds coming in!

zenie, blossie33 and Greebo like this.
  24. zoooo

You've got to get rid of 32 things!

25. maya

maya timewasting fool (in every universe)

Who on earth would possibly want to rid themselves of this gem? :confused:

mambo2.jpg

The senorita disagrees with you. :cool: :D

idumea likes this.
  26. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Beautiful blue with flowers on Warehouse clingy slightly flamenco style jersey style dress, Oxfam.

Trying not to buy too much stuff to save space and money but it's gorgeous.

Greebo likes this.
  27. Greebo

Next white fitted shirt, Barnado's.
    I'll need to shorten the sleeves, by about half an inch just above the cuffs, but it's doable.

Also a short sleeved loosely fitting (loose enough to pull on without undoing the buttons) grey-blue silk shirt. It's mainly going to be worn as a base layer, but it's long enough that I could sleep in it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  28. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Fabulous tartan kilt. Proper kilt by Scottish kilt maker. £5. Can't wait to wear it. Its going to be the staple of this winters wardrobe :cool:
    Get me!!!!!

29. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

didn't buy it, so if anyone's interested...

i think Scope on Warwick street in Leamington Spa had a Barbour Bedale coat - rrp £210 - on sale for £60.

it obviously an old model as it had buttons on the storm flap instead of poppers, but it was immaculate and had had leather trim fitted to sleeves and hem. i would say it was a medium, and an olive colour.

i'm not sure it was Scope, but there's half a dozen CS's on Warwick Street, and it was in the window. all the CS's in LS look like they'd give a good haul - i found brand new pair of Moleskin jeans for £3.95...

Greebo likes this.
  30. Greebo

One grey marl cashmere V neck £5.50 from the RSPCA shop.

muvva and Yuwipi Woman like this.