Charity shop/ 2nd hand gems

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by muvva, Mar 14, 2012.

1. muvva

muvva Well-Known Member

As money is a bit tight, I'm back to thrifting. In the last few weeks I've got:
    Maine New England parka (for me) £8.50
    Purple puffball hem dress (for my daughter) £3
    Denim shorts (daughter) £3
    Mini boden skirt (daughter) £3
    Jeans and camper van t shirt (baby) £3
    Stripey tights (daughter) £1.50

I'd forgotten how much I enjoy thrifting. And boot sales will be starting up again soon, hurrah!

stuff_it and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  2. hmmph

hmmph Well-Known Member

had a beauty of a shop last weekend. For £30 I got
    3 skirts / 5 blouses / 2 t-shirts / gold spangly jumper / yoga pants

and they all look brand new :D

muvva likes this.
  3. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

today i'm wearing a few recent CS finds: a vivienne westwood grey wool v-neck (2.50) and a pair of brown loakes shoes (2.95)

spanglechick and muvva like this.
  4. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

I'm not very good at this as I don't have a lot of patience. I think I don;t live in the best area for charity shop finds either.

5. muvva

muvva Well-Known Member

When my oldest was a baby I'd get on the train and meet my mum in Windsor and we'd do all the charity shops, I got some amazing stuff, being a wealthy area. I think the trick to finding stuff is to look regularly. I've had lots of Mini Boden stuff for my kids, it's shockingly expensive. I also do the NCT nearly new sales for baby stuff. I used to have this little theory that Mondays were always the best days to search charity shops as people drop off donations on Saturdays when they're off work. And always look in the windows, it's where they put the nice stuff sometimes.

I did a rummage earlier this week and came away with nowt.

6. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

The charity shop nearest to me (Highbury Corner) seems a tad over priced - £10 for a tatty t-shirt, is that kind of thing normal?

7. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

Nope, it is most definately not! I find the CS furhter into the capital are the most pricey. In Caterham there is about 4, and they are well cheap, well, for books anyway, the most you will pay is 50p or a pound.

Bought 2 Penguin t-shirts from there the other day for £2.75 each, they normally retail at £45 - lovely stuff...

8. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

A sushi chef somewhere must have died because I found a whole stack of mardarin collared jackets like they wear ($1.99 ea). That should go well with the two pairs of cowboy boots ($3.99 ea) I found too!

9. muvva

muvva Well-Known Member

A tenner for a tatty t-shirt is ridiculous, I mean I know it's charity but still!
    Today I got a couple of shirts for my boy. £1.25 each.

10. muvva

muvva Well-Known Member

I found a teeny weeny Mark Jacobs jumper that would have been nice for my daughter but she said it was too itchy. Hmm, damn wool using designers.

11. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

I <3 wool using designers! They keep me warm in the winter.

Think my best recent buy was a pair of brand new 'kinky' boots for £5 about a month ago.

muvva likes this.
  12. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

my best was a mole skin jacket from next ( much much cooler than it sounds ) my favourite going out jacket £6.50

13. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

Well, I posted about my triumph on the 'stuff you've bought' thread a few weeks ago - totally pristine Austin Reed trouser suit for £30. Even has short-fit trousers.

Wore it to see a job agent the other week and I feel really good in it.

Another of my favourites was a red and white motocross jacket - I think it must have been 'young teenager' size, as it was titchy. I remember hanging around outside the shop I saw it in the window of until it opened, as I had to leave straight after that for a lecture.

14. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

found a vintage (mid 60s i think) oshkosh flannel shirt in a charity shop in watford this AM. £5.

15. Bought an awesome fuchsia and black 80s dress for £4 from the charity shop yesterday :)

16. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Done well picking up some good Fat Face combat trousers and jumpers in the charity shops round Putney of late. Paying about £3-5 a time which is good.

Getting work stuff on eBay mainly. Never over £5 with postage for shirts or trousers.

I got my last pair of work trousers from Tesco for £8 and they have done 18 months. The pockets are fucked now so replacements on way for £4. Look the same and who cares?

17. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

Six wedding dresses for £40.

18. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

When I worked up the road I used that one a lot (Marie Curie iirc). I got some great stuff, crockery, bric-a-brac etc but never really looked at the clothing.

19. toggle

toggle wobbly

last really good one was a monsoon skirt for £1

20. Meltingpot

Meltingpot On hiatus

I've been quite lucky so far this year;

Sympatex hooded overcoat £5
    Arran-style sweater £7.50
    Rugby-style sweatshirt (i.e. button up neck) £5
    Black corduroy trousers £5
    Black Thinsulate hat £1

muvva likes this.
  21. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I'm wearing a cardigan I found in my late MILs place when I was clearing it that I just bunged on because there was no heating. Quite possibly charity shop, it was her main source of non-perishable goods of all sorts.

22. muvva

muvva Well-Known Member

Baby body warmer- matches his pram :cool:
    £2.80

23. muvva

muvva Well-Known Member

NCT nearly new sale:
    Travel cot (for playpen use so he doesn't electrocute himself while I am on the toilet)
    Lego rucksack
    Little life backpack
    2 x sunhats
    2x shorts
    swim shorts
    loads of toys (inc bead pathfinder/ space ship/ pram toys, cars etc)
    loads of outfits

24. toggle

toggle wobbly

brand new, tags still on it for 35 quid, per una skirt. £5.

even better, it's a 16 and it's fairly loose on me.

25. Yuwipi Woman

Six weddings and a funeral?

muvva likes this.
  26. Yuwipi Woman

Brand new pair of jeans with the tags fom a high-end shop still attached. $4.99

One pair of Earth Shoes, also new. $2.99.

27. toggle

toggle wobbly

brand new bra, 1.50.

long sleeve t-shirt £1

long sleeve shirt, the sort that is crinkley and dosne't need ironing, black with red stitching on it £2

linen summer dress £4.

28. Yuwipi Woman

Free is even better than charity shops.

A co-worker gave me 5 30 gal. bags of clothes. I looked through and kept some yoga workout clothes, including some really funky tank-tops with swirly patterns, and a stack of yoga pants. There was about 8 twin-sets in "my colors". I ended up keeping entire 30 gal. bag.

I did an inventory of the rest (for my co-worker's taxes) and gave the remainer to the charity she requested.

Miss Caphat and muvva like this.
  29. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

They have yard sales over here. I picked up an awesome set of PC Speakers, pans, and a table for my decks recently :)

30. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

From Traid - a pair of Karen Millen heels with peacock feather printed on the main bit. £18 so not really bothered that I've got nowhere to wear them and can hardly walk in them.

toggle likes this.