1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Characterizing Israel

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by frogwoman, Aug 2, 2014.

1. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Ta for that ba. Good thoughts, if a little confused as to the dietary habits of stick insects!

2. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Cheers BA, I think I'm right in saying this was originally published in 2000. I wonder if he'd add UKIP to that list of parties these days.

3. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Griffin himself says no. In this chapter from the book Europe for the Europeans: The Foreign Policy and the Populist Radical Right he distinguishes them and the BNP (at least partially) from the sort of groups mentioned above. I agree on the case of UKIP. Griffin has the view that these parties don't really exist here as the driving motivations behind them already exist and are catered for in the main parties and as part of the social/civil imagination - they've already colonised that political space that the above parties need to survive long-term.. I think he's wrong there, or at least he's wrong when you add other issues into the ethnocratic mix as UKIP are doing very successfully right now.

4. Red Cat

Red Cat Well-Known Member

Can you explain a bit more?

5. butchersapron

Griffin reckons the anti-immigrant position is part of the main parties choice of political presentation already, and that the ideas are internalised within the discourse of civil society to such an extent that speaking against immigration, speaking up for the common man type approaches have no purchase as the potential to gain support on that basis has already bee occupied by society and its parties. Where he goes wrong is in not realising how this sort of position tied to wider issues of political legitimacy and social alienation, elite misgovernance etc can be effectively bundled together in order to position oneself on on that common man terrain - as UKIP are doing right now - and the BNP did to a lesser extent a few years back.

6. frogwoman

frogwoman Well-Known Member

Israeli Terrorists, Born in the U.S.A. http://nyti.ms/1JTNry7

An article here about jewish religious extremism and the fact many of these people were born in the US and the relationship they have to 'mainstream' judaism

Actually written by someone ive met a few times.

ska invita likes this.
  7. Idris2002

Idris2002 A kick up the Arás

I don't know if there was an organized effort in the last decades of apartheid to support it, but I do remember seeing pro-SA adverts in a business magazine from about 1960.

8. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

You mean you missed this classic? It has some amazing stuff about Peter Hain...

[​IMG]

frogwoman likes this.
  9. Idris2002

No, earlier than that - "we Sath Efricans are the unjustly maligned victims of the international communist conspiracy".

And in Ireland, in the 80s, there was a guy who would regularly write to the papers (and get his letters published) condemning all criticism of SA. I think he did it for love, though.

10. J Ed

J Ed I remember the future

You still meet the occasional Tory who will defend Apartheid and they certainly aren't being paid now

11. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Don't know if everyone caught this Storyville doc, it's based around recordings made by IDF soldiers in the immediate aftermath of the Six Day War recounting their experiences but also making some insightful comments into what being occupiers and in a state like one of constant war does to a nation: BBC iPlayer - Storyville - 2015-2016: 11. The Six-Day War: Censored Voices

frogwoman likes this.
  12. irf520

irf520 Well-Known Member

13. butchersapron

Do you do anything but link to that blog?

14. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

I've been avoiding watching due to wanting to keep my acid reflux at bay.

15. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Its well worth the watch

16. butchersapron

A new piece on the actual camp hobbit(s)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  17. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Christ, and I thought I only had to watch out for films written by John Milius.

18. Idris2002

Good article, butchers, but there's a touch of horseshoe theory in the bit about them trying to bring far right and far left together. Or did they actually manage to get leftist youth to come to these things? Did the Italian left recognise this shite for what it was at the time, or did it take a while to realise that point?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  19. butchersapron

The italian left they looked to attract was all over it - they were laughing their tits off at the idea that these freaks represented somethings socially or that they were talking 'to the kids'. 'The kids' were occupying Bologna for a near week breaking open weapons shops and preparing for civil war at the exact same time. These clowns were irrelevant to what was happening. Now. oddly enough, they're not.

Idris2002 likes this.
  20. Idris2002

And the music was better in the '70s too.

21. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

Israel came out of the Holocaust Never Again is the driving thought 1948 they were facing annihlation the arab league wasn't planning on taking prisoners.
    Beliving you've got your back to the wall excuses everything international law etc saw jews industrialy slaughtered and nothing was done.
    Now they are armed and can fight back and people are calling them to show restraint etc not really happening :(